Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y delivery anxiety? The wait is worth it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New York changed the rules on June 21 so that the $2000 reduction is now $500! So the fluid EDD has cost me hard dollars.
My charger is installed and energized. All I need now is the car.....

Reactions: Peelz
thats the right color combo. just STUNNING

our rule is no eating in the car unless parked lol like when charging.
Yes, eating while charging is probably 'acceptable' if not a little on the dangerous side (my family has 'issues', lol). I hear baby wipes seem to clean up pretty nice. Noooo....Just saw my earliest delivery date now shift to July 24th. (6/17->6/20->6/24). Still, maybe now I will get Biohazard air filtration?!?

• Funny
Reactions: Peelz
Yes, eating while charging is probably 'acceptable' if not a little on the dangerous side (my family has 'issues', lol). I hear baby wipes seem to clean up pretty nice. Noooo....Just saw my earliest delivery date now shift to July 24th. (6/17->6/20->6/24). Still, maybe now I will get Biohazard air filtration?!?

I am dangerous. wife says no hot coffee lol yep interior wipes do the trick, Plus every so often, I coat it with a leather conditioner. Even though its NOT leather i thought it cant hurt. same hydrophobic chemicals in there....

Many people poo-poo that white leather interior or question my choice. They say Ill get it too dirty. Thats true but.... ALL cars get dirty, you just never see it because boring colors LOL I enjoy the white and keeping it clean.

full disclosure, my boys are 14 and 18 now, and not really an issue any more. Back When my youngest was 3, we removed his car seat from our newer nissan Quest, light gray interior, to put in a jump seat. I Almost threw up. an hour with a steam cleaner and it was still just ok lol. ANd i kept a towl under there! So, if you have SMALL kids, I get the argument, but the white just looks way too cool to not get it.

Made it thru my 40's and they were not that different from my 20's, now my 50's...

close calls are the story, not emergencies :p

I ordered mine last week and I find myself checking daily to see if the delivery date changed. LOL

and you wont stop. I cant blame you, but I wish I could find a way to redirect your focus.

it will get WAY worse when the original estimate day gets near. I bet i looked like 5 yr old with a tablet. clickclickclickclickclickclick :)

Reactions: PackMan730
Ordered June 10th.
0040D70F-C095-4739-91CC-D082CBF390EE.jpeg

Consider this an Ode to the "current delivery times" thread! Hilarious and therapeutic. This is a little long and rambly, but maybe itll help someone.

Stick with it, dont get sucked into the "its a conspiracy" rabbit hole. LOL

It is easy to get caught up in the madness of hoping for a quick delivery, then having your emotions toyed with by checking the delivery estimate date in your account repeatedly. I know I did. :) What I found: Fun, but all but pointless. That date is not based on a single car that's built for you, like I thought.

I expected... Order>issue VIN>Get production schedule>car built> wait for transportation/delivery. It is clear to me, a couple of those are opposite. They mass produce based on ordered configs, and schedule the production from that list to match transportation solutions-rail or truck. I bet it really is a huge task, but it seems they have a good handle on it. But they cant give you an exact day, because they don't have an exact car!

*how it started

Probably 2014-15. I was at an OLD tesla sales office in a minimall in a chicago suburb. I was already watching them, but at that time, I was not a buyer. Cost, range, charging. ETC. I did however know for sure we would swap to EV at least partially at some point. Then, Over time, I often visited Tesla Site, would build our color combo, usually ending with a LOADED X with blue and white lol Completely impractical. We had the 2012 Nissan pathfinder at the time. Though not in a hurry, Our target vehicle to replace it, was a toyota Four runner. Requiring, body on frame (real SUV-i refuse to pay SUV price for a crossover) It had to be small enough for our garage and can tow a boat. Nissan switched to glorified minivan status in 2013.

March 28th, Mrs. and I were taking an early spring motorcycle ride, she sees a blue one Four Runner the Toyota lot. We looked, adn drove, really liked it... but, could not find what we would want. Blue/cream interior limited. I didnt like the boy racer looking off road one, that everyone seems to have. So many pointless buttons :) THey said a few months to order, but then only kept sending me ads for ones I DIDNT want. And the price! 50+! for a car that wouldnt do much more than the Nissan... so we were sorta of going back and forth on it, couldn't get excited. She casually mentions, "what about that Tesla?" She knew nothing about them really. So, I tell her about The 3 and the Y explaining the 4 models and their missions and stats(and prices), While talking, we realize, well need a 4th car for younger son, and decide we could keep the Nissan-which removes the Body on frame SUV requirement.. I show her some vids of the Y, and show her the Blue/white option. She's SOLD. I conjure the thought of the 240 in the garage, along with the range and the Supercharger network.... and I'm like "hey wait we need to look at it fuirst though" SO we schedule. It takes a week to get time to go to Bloomington, Ill to drive it. its a 3 hr drive away for us.

April 6th. We drive it. Wish I would have ordered it the moment we decided. Totally blown away, ordered on the spot. lol

Wait...wait...check dates....repeat. Put in 240 outlet-wait some more- buys some accessories(mudflaps, floormats, console trays)-wait some more-start to get antsy mid-late may... Get a vin 5-26! THEN, Vin pulled back due to system error!!! <help>2 days later 5-28, VIN again! Get a call from Tesla to schedule June 5th. Then comes a bit of a rush to get the financing through local cred union done. But we had a check to give Tesla. The wait was 60 days. Picked it up June 5 10 am.

Delivery day: The entire experience took 27 minutes. The game has changed for me here. I looked at the car, while SA guy grabbed paperwork, I had to sign two things which took 5 minutes. I didn't find any flaws that a little cleanup by me couldn't handle. Plastic wrap around the seat base, and a some around the headliner(a little pain but I got it) glue... smudgy windows. Greasy finger print inside on the B pillar. A drip of something on the headliner above the driver sun shade. Some paint swirls, Ill handle with a polish. *****It should be noted that I was an auto detailer for a new car dealer in a past life, part of my job was checking cars in. SO all of this is in my skill set. I could see how some of that, someone would be put off without said skill. I'm not.

SO basically,

The car is worth the wait! It is 15 grand more than any other car we've bought, but have ZERO buyers remorse. I haven't been able to get excited about cars in over a decade. There hasn't been any real innovation, other than price increase. I require a new car do everything better or be different than the car it replaces. And Im not sure you could do that better than this Y.

As far as the car itself...It was fine. No more panel gaps or alignment issues than my VW.

If I had to put checks in the negative, section.. It gets a bad rap for hard suspension. and I can see that. If you're coming from a luxury vehicle. It is harsh, but no harsher than our pathfinder we have. So It's Noticeable but not a big issue here. I suppose it highlights a juxtaposition to how nice and futuristic the interior is, and the buttery smooth drivetrain, putting a microscope on the harshness....

The weak metal on the front trunk. feels quite flimsy when closing it. Even using their technique, I Feel like paint could crack at some point maybe on a cold day. Have to be careful.... Maybe add an autocloser...or I suppose Ill get used to it.

day 3, 2 charging cycles, all from friend and fam demo rides lol still love it.

quick note-On the way home, we stopped at a SC to top off, so we had more power when we got home to play with it, and to just try it out not at a time we were on a time constraint. thoroughly enjoyed that experience! And using a referral code from a fellow owner on this site, enjoyed it EVEN MORE.

Very cool to see someone else with excellent taste there!!!!!! *photo failed to upload-ill fix shortly*

View attachment 670542
Many similarities to my story. Ordered 5/10/21. Delivery dates keep changing between late Aug and Sep. SA says 2-3 weeks. After reading you and others anxiety reduced and waiting for call out of the blue (same color as car w black int). THANK YOU!!!

Still waiting here in Toronto. May 24 order.
EDD is now Aug 8 to 25. (Has shifted 1 day later each of last 3 days)
Earliest date I've had, is July 25.

Weekly emails to my SA, telling him how I am eagerly waiting, elicit NO response.
Last time he talked to me was at my test drive in June!

Many similarities to my story. Ordered 5/10/21. Delivery dates keep changing between late Aug and Sep. SA says 2-3 weeks. After reading you and others anxiety reduced and waiting for call out of the blue (same color as car w black int). THANK YOU!!!

yes keep waiting, stay calm. We've just returned from a 2000+ mile trip with it. It was a beautiful experience.

Reactions: ajs847
I placed an order for a Model Y on June 24. I was so happy when it gave me a July delivery. Then it moved to early August to September. Now it is early September to late September. Over 8 weeks and possibly 15 weeks? Is that normal? What can you do to expedite besides being on the portal and doing everything is required from your part?

I placed an order for a Model Y on June 24. I was so happy when it gave me a July delivery. Then it moved to early August to September. Now it is early September to late September. Over 8 weeks and possibly 15 weeks? Is that normal? What can you do to expedite besides being on the portal and doing everything is required from your part?
nothing.

wait.

wish i could tell you more lol If you got it on June 24. I bet you get it late august, early september.