Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Update Email 11/18/2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps "the best rack and accessory companies in the world" will come up with something EVEN MORE elegant than this !: View attachment 64147View attachment 64148Whoa, I saw this guy on the road & when he pulled into the same parking lot, I couldn't resist. Here's to a fine hitch rack solution ! (Once again, I'll be putting my stuff INSIDE) ML
This looks very illegal, why could they not put that boat on the roof.

LOL!

Looking closer at new pic (Beta) vs old pic (prototype), some thoughts:
The doors:
The doors have much better clearance to walk in/up to the car then the old.
The only thing that the door can have are speakers - (besides a handle/buttons to open and un/lock)
The door does seem to stop higher then the prototype - maybe my scaling is off. But any sensors that would be needed can be in the handle assembly, which minimizes wiring and other complexity with having additional sensors.
Overall the doors looks much cleaner then the old ones.

The cabin:
The headrests look way better.
The dashboard does not stick out for the center console screen.
To me, looks/feels spacious.

View attachment 63999

Good observations.

I also note that it appears the hinge mechanism has been revised so that that radius that the door travels in as it pivots upward is smaller.

The gap between the adjacent edges of the roof and door are closer together by quite a bit, resulting in the top of the "vertical" portion of the door (when open) not extending as high. This results in the center-hinge portion of the door having at least a 90-degree angle (if not slightly greater) when open, whereas the old door actually angled downward slightly when open, reducing headroom.

In addition, it appears the bottom of the door is thinner now, increasing the headroom space even more while keeping similar overall height clearance.

Last edited:
You guys make a lot of assumptions based on what is most likely a computer generated image. I'm guessing that Tesla also made it deliberately dark because it's not a "final" photo.

Don't think so. All their promo photo's are "deliberately dark" yet are accurate to the product. (thinking back to the "D" reveal teaser photo).
In this case the doors are accentuated by the light. Drawing attention to the detail.

Don't think so. All their promo photo's are "deliberately dark" yet are accurate to the product. (thinking back to the "D" reveal teaser photo).
In this case the doors are accentuated by the light. Drawing attention to the detail.

Once again, I think that the lighting is mostly designed to highlight the Tesla logo effect. I've read other threads (e.g. on Facebook) showing this same picture and people comment on the Tesla logo effect. On this thread naturally we analyze every corner of the picture to squeeze out some new information. Not that I haven't done the same thing elsewhere, just saying.

The renderings in the new email lack the guide pegs on the Falcon Doors that are present on the renderings on Tesla's website, and on the photos of the prototype.

The Model X that was displayed at the Palo Alto store opening had guide pegs on the doors, and tracks for the pegs in the B and C pillars.

ModelX_DoorTracks.jpg

ModelX_C-Pillar_FalconDoorTrack.jpg

ModelX_B-Pillar_FalconDoorTrack_CloseUp.jpg

ModelX_FrontView.jpg

Last edited: