Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature begins delivery in early 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Latest timing, from Tesla's recent 10-Q:

In the case of Model S a June 2012 launch meant 10 Founders cars on 6/22 with the first SSL cars ~7 weeks later and ~6 months ramp up. Theoretically Model X roll-out could be faster due to using the S platform and experience, but late 2014 might well mean Founders or special cars in the last week of December and everyone else in 2015. All assuming that nothing changes in the next 12 months......

"We currently plan to start production of the initial units of Model X in late 2014 and subsequently ramp up to full production
by the second quarter of 2015." 10-Q

With a reservation list already over 9,000. I imagine "full production" means at least 400 Model X's/week.

Do we know what additional options the Signature edition Model X offers? I was too late with the Model S to get the Signature edition but I was thinking of going for the Signature this time around but the guys at my local Tesla location don't know about anything other than "additional color options."

Do we know what additional options the Signature edition Model X offers?
For Model X Signature my understanding is ...
  1. They've stated there will be an exclusive color on the reservation page.
  2. The pictures on the reservation page hint that it might be Sig Red again, but nothing official has been stated
  3. We assume it will command a higher price tag when new (used is anybody's guess).
  4. Nothing has been said about the white leather (and rear seat belts) of Model S will be offered in Model X or not.
  5. Nothing has been said about whether the same or different "external scripting" of "Signature" will be present or not.

The Model X is growing on me more and more. Unfortunately, we added a 2nd MS to the family and will be difficult to justify the X unless we sell one of the Ss.
Nice problem. Solution: get the X. You increase demand by 1 unit for a company you clearly believe in, and some lucky enthusiast will have the chance to own your gently used S. Gently, right?:wink: Besides, you already have "this is the best car ever". I strongly suspect the Model X will be that exact thing (too - two - 2.0) ML

So realistically speaking, getting on the list of the Sig X will put anyone into a 2015 model whereas the standard X will likely be in 2016 or 2017 based on the current wait list of 9k?

Not necessarily. The Model S backlog was cleared out very quickly, with the waiting list completely eliminated by the end of the first year of production. If the same holds true for Model X, I would expect everyone who orders one to be able to take delivery in 2015 even if they don't reserve until after production has begun.

Nice problem. Solution: get the X. You increase demand by 1 unit for a company you clearly believe in, and some lucky enthusiast will have the chance to own your gently used S. Gently, right?:wink: Besides, you already have "this is the best car ever". I strongly suspect the Model X will be that exact thing (too - two - 2.0) ML

Horribly good influence!

Nice problem. Solution: get the X. You increase demand by 1 unit for a company you clearly believe in, and some lucky enthusiast will have the chance to own your gently used S. Gently, right?:wink:

Personally, I'm making plans to possibly do BOTH. After all, I'm already on the MX list-- but I love the MS-- so if someone wants to upgrade one car and I want to upgrade TWO cars... then I think we can all find a very happy solution!

Note for the mods - might it be possible to update the thread title to something a bit less definitive; maybe "Model X Signature deliveries now expected to begin in early 2015". Every time I see an update to the thread, this is the first place I click through on the site looking for news or hints about when I might see my car (leaving me routinely updated).

Then the thread can be updated again when we do get something definitive, and maybe I won't obsess over this thread quite as much :)

One piece of "news" I can throw in - I didn't know what to expect going in, but having been on the Signature list since September of last year, I can say that I haven't seen a single official Model X Signature communication from Tesla in that entire time (>1 year now). I know they've been busy and all, but throw me a bone guys! Anything!

Thanks!