Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X second row bench stuck half folded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Late 2019 model x now suffering the same problem. There are two gray connectors under the smaller seat when looking at it from the front. There is one more closer to the rear. By briefly disconnecting the gray cable closer to the center, I was able to cause the seat back actuator to reset and allow the seat to be locked in the normal seating position. I can't figure out how to get the track position actuator to reset. I disconnected the other gray connectors hoping for the same thing, but no luck. The one closest to the door is easiest to access blind from the side rather than looking at it from the front.

Reactions: mastersword
Take off the plastic covers, and you will see two microswitches. I can't remember if they press when locked or unlocked, so try playing with that. It's a lot easier with the covers off and they don't look bad that way anyway.

I will try that. But once I disconnected the connector, I was able to raise the seat. Then I lowered the seat completely using the lever, which once again worked (the front lever is still.loose). This stopped the incessant beeping. In order to stop the seat from sliding back and forth dangerously, I placed a 19" piece of plywood between the front and rear seat legs.. 19.5" would probably be better. I cut at 20" and it wouldn't go in....

Okay. Out of warranty by a few hundred miles. $2800 for the new seat quoted. Ridiculous. So I decided if they are going to charge me for a whole seat, I am free to mess with this seat as much as I can and see if I can fix it. Briefly disconnecting the gray connector to the right of the motor caused a reset of the actuator (the one that controls the seat position). I think the actuator for the seat track position is the circular thing attached to the motor. Found the part number on the tesla parts website. Will see if i can buy just thst part. 1102377-00-e.
1000007945.jpg

You don't need to buy that puck, it's not the issue - at least not the way you think.

The motor IS the actuator, the black plastic puck is a housing for the cables that actually do the work. They are wrapped around a spindle / pulley that has a gear cast into the plastic, and the motor turns a worm gear that rotates the pulley to pull on the cables.

For the seat locks, the cables retract the locks (which is why the handle ALSO pulls them up to move the seat) and the issue is that the motor / cables are still pulled tight and that's why the seat won't lock into place right now. If you can see from your image, there is a plastic arrowhead clip (upper left of your image) that is holding the plastic puck to the seat. There's a couple of these IIRC. Push them aside and you can remove the puck by sliding it out from the metal clip. Then you can unscrew it and open it up - and you will see how to release the motor from it and rotate it to release the tension. At that point the whole thing SHOULD be functional again, at least manually.

I disabled the motors in my seats (unplugged) to prevent any further shenanigans from Darth Elon's programming and ridiculous design.

Reactions: mastersword
Omg. I was just about to post about this. I fixed it myself a few hours ago! The gear inside the track lock actuator broke and I removed it and now the track locks again.

The track lock actuator is located in the seat back. I have circled the area on the top left corner of the photo.

There are three screws on the circular gear box cover. Two were square drive and another is an t-20 screw or something like that.

Remove the plastic circular gear holder and the three silver gears and that will release the track lock mechanism, allowing for manual control.

The seat still leans forward once you use the use the seat corner button, and can be manually controlled. I think I can love without the automatic easy entry mode for $2800.

Thank you Geordi!!

Attachments

• 20240107_150158.jpg
    20240107_150158.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240107_151122.jpg
    20240107_151122.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240107_151125.jpg
    20240107_151125.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 32