Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X second row bench stuck half folded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the slow reply. Busy over the holidays! I am pleased to report that the seats have been used and thus far have been fine since repair.

From the invoice regarding seat replacement:

and regarding ease (or not) of sliding the bench:

I hope this helps!
@SaltyC Thank you so much! It helps tremendously. I will keep this handy for my next visit. My seats require a git of muscle to slide them forward and back. Hapiy New Year to you!

Reactions: SaltyC
Went in for service. They were able to get the seat moving again. They weren’t confident it would fix it permanently though. They ordered another seat as a backup but said that it is a known flaw and they are working on a fix. So, a new seat probably isn’t a permanent solution either.

Reactions: hjinoue
I had a new Tesla X (6 seat) delivered on 12/28 and the passenger side middle row seat has never operated correctly. Initially, it had no response to buttons for movement, after 4 service attempts, it now moves for a few seconds until it gets stuck again. It feels like a sign of a bigger issue on the car given the number of attempts they've already made to fix it. They say that they want to replace the entire seat, but no guarantee that will fix the problem. I want to exchange it for an issue free version, but Tesla does not do exchanges.

I can possibly get my money back and order another one for an additional $7,600 from my original purchase price and wait six months. Considering a Lemon Law attorney to simply get them to exchange it for my original purchase price or just walk away from a company that isn't more embarrassed by such a blatant lack of quality control.

I had a new Tesla X (6 seat) delivered on 12/28 and the passenger side middle row seat has never operated correctly. Initially, it had no response to buttons for movement, after 4 service attempts, it now moves for a few seconds until it gets stuck again. It feels like a sign of a bigger issue on the car given the number of attempts they've already made to fix it. They say that they want to replace the entire seat, but no guarantee that will fix the problem. I want to exchange it for an issue free version, but Tesla does not do exchanges.

I can possibly get my money back and order another one for an additional $7,600 from my original purchase price and wait six months. Considering a Lemon Law attorney to simply get them to exchange it for my original purchase price or just walk away from a company that isn't more embarrassed by such a blatant lack of quality control.
Why not just let them replace the seat?

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Why not just let them replace the seat?
Yeah, I am going to let them try to replace the seat and see if that fixes the problem. It was just incredibly annoying that I've spent the first three weeks of ownership with it at the service center about 75% of the time. The front driver side window also makes a rubbing noise every time it goes up, so will have them look at that too. They said that they will get in the seat on Jan 21, so I'm hopeful that fixes the problem and that the car is just a lemon.

@SaltyNuts I have to wonder if the company has cut costs And pushed these cars out in haste. After driving a Model S for five years and loving everything, I feel the new Model X falls short on quality and luxury. Model X is not ad luxurious as the older Model S and I feel a bit fooled.

I don’t know what they have to do to replace the entire seat but I fear something else malfunctioning as a result of a new seat install.

@SaltyC How are your seats holding up? My seat got stuck again this am. Put in a service request. Same issue. I feel this will never end so I will mention to the team what your fix was and hope it will permanently resolve the issue.

Seems our other friends have similar issues. Did they fix it? No more seat issues? @Joshnickell ?
I have some travel coming up. So, I haven’t let anyone touch the seat. I’ll start playing with it again in a month and see if it gets stuck again.

@SaltyC How are your seats holding up? My seat got stuck again this am. Put in a service request. Same issue. I feel this will never end so I will mention to the team what your fix was and hope it will permanently resolve the issue.

Seems our other friends have similar issues. Did they fix it? No more seat issues? @Joshnickell ?

I don't access the third row every day, but I do put the seats down frequently to load skis. So far, so good!

Reactions: hjinoue
New 2023 Model X 7-seater owner here. Both side of the 2nd row seats wont slide forward / backward automatically after pressing the shoulder button (the seat does fold half-way). Went to SC and the technician said it’s expected for the 2023 model X and I should manually push the 2nd row seats forward after pressing the shoulder button?? Is that true?

I tried to find a video that shows how the seats should move but can only find the videos for the old version of model X.

New 2023 Model X 7-seater owner here. Both side of the 2nd row seats wont slide forward / backward automatically after pressing the shoulder button (the seat does fold half-way). Went to SC and the technician said it’s expected for the 2023 model X and I should manually push the 2nd row seats forward after pressing the shoulder button?? Is that true?

I tried to find a video that shows how the seats should move but can only find the videos for the old version of model X.

If they sell you a car with a feature, and that feature doesn't work, then they need to repair it under warranty. Sounds to me like whoever you were talking to just doesn't want to do the work. Either that or they've had it fail so many times, they're tired of telling people that. So now they're trying to just get people to not ask them to repair it!

I'd make them do it for sure. Especially as it's almost impossible for an adult to get into those third row seats without sliding it forward!

Yes, the button folds the seats and unlocks the slide forward and backward. It does not slide forward automatically via a button press.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Yes, the button folds the seats and unlocks the slide forward and backward. It does not slide forward automatically via a button press.
I see. So it’s not the same as the 2019 MX shown in

It’s pretty hard for me to push the 2nd row seat forward after the shoulder button pressed. Would really appreciate if someone can post a video showing how it is supposed to work :)

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
I see. So it’s not the same as the 2019 MX shown in

It’s pretty hard for me to push the 2nd row seat forward after the shoulder button pressed. Would really appreciate if someone can post a video showing how it is supposed to work :)
I’m going to guess most of that was momentum, not power. If you add just a little pressure the seat does the same. See video I just took. Model X Seat

Anyone have a photo of underneath the seat so I can see what the wiring should look like? My 40% seat (the smaller) is stuck like this as well. So tired of it. Been to service 4 times. Just want to fix it myself. When looking it APPEARS a whole cord may be missing? There is a small black box at the front of the seat. On all my other seats there are 4 cords running into this box. On this seat that has malfunctioned I only see 3 cords running into the box and the 4th spot is empty. Trying to determine what goes there and if that is causing the issue. See photo. The other seats have cords running into both spots.

Attachments

• 20230824_141607.jpg
    20230824_141607.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 87
I don't have a picture for you, but the boxes are just holders, the tension cables go in and this is a "switch point" where either the electric motor OR the manual lever can pull the cables and apply tension to the other two at the same time.

The problem is the stupid electric motors that pull and then don't reverse. The seat catch on the passenger side in the hinge is what is jamming the seat and you SHOULD be able to get at it with these instructions, it may be a little difficult the first time but you will be able to release it and it should reset after. The computer is SUPPOSED to pull a second time after about 10 seconds so that the seat falls all the way forward (flat) but it doesn't always, and that is when everything gets stuck. It may also not be pulling that second time IF one or both of the slide track microswitches are out of adjustment, b/c if it works properly when it lands at that 45 degree position and someone pushes the seat forward, then it will not do the second actuation. Sliding the seat forward and then backward to the locked position MAY allow it to release and go back to the upper position.

IF NOT: You are looking to access the outside part of the hinge (closest to the door) and at the back of the chair. The plastic can be pulled away from this area, but it may be helpful to unzip the back and push the bungee and other fabric out of the way. There is a flat key that slots into the back of the round hinge, this is what is holding the seat in place. Push down / away on this key with a screwdriver and the seat back should release.

Why don't the service centers know this? That's a great question. Why don't they know how to fix anything about these cars, without just swapping major components that aren't bad, but there is a programming issue or a way-over-complicated design? Manual levers have worked fine for over 100 years.... But now we have to invent a chair that has 3 electric actuators in it to do the same function.