Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Reservation #...Anyone interested?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were you, I'd get my deposit back and buy more TSLA on the dips. I'm on my 2nd 24 month lease waiting for my X.

Hold on to your Model X holiday card from Tesla. If the Model X is a big hit (it will be), then it will probably become a collector's item on EBay. :biggrin:

I've saved all my souvenirs, like the red and white plastic molded Model S toy cars we received in 2011 at the factory. Remember those?

Then again, I still have one of the first 1983 Compaq "portable" PC's (that looked like a small, tan, plastic suitcase with a handle) in a garage cabinet. It still boots. Hope to keep my < 100 production serial no. Model X in the family a long time, too, when I finally get it. Just keep replacing the battery every 8-X(?) years with a longer-range one, I guess... :rolleyes:

You're joking right? I've allowed someone else access to my money for a product that was originally presented as becoming available a year ago. During that time period the market has hit several new highs, oil prices have been cut in half and global warming (climate change) has been complete exposed as the fraud it has always been. Have you never taken an economics course to explain to you the time value of money? I believe someone would happily pay a premium to have had a ces to their $5000 for an extra year and exchange that premium for a Model X 1-12 months earlier than they could otherwise. As for tax implications, I don't ever know where that guy keeps going with that statement. Add up the pluses and minuses, add on what the premium that could be agreed upon and make the exchange. It's not rocket science, but then again, that's really Elon's arena.

You're joking right? I've allowed someone else access to my money for a product that was originally presented as becoming available a year ago. During that time period the market has hit several new highs, oil prices have been cut in half and global warming (climate change) has been complete exposed as the fraud it has always been. Have you never taken an economics course to explain to you the time value of money? I believe someone would happily pay a premium to have had a ces to their $5000 for an extra year and exchange that premium for a Model X 1-12 months earlier than they could otherwise. As for tax implications, I don't ever know where that guy keeps going with that statement. Add up the pluses and minuses, add on what the premium that could be agreed upon and make the exchange. It's not rocket science, but then again, that's really Elon's arena.

I didn't know one of the Koch brothers was on this forum? Mr. Koch, I'd love to see your data about this fraud known as climate change.

I'm sorry to reply, but I must. Let's play this insane game for a minute, since you mention economics courses and the "time value of money".

You have a reservation number today that represents a difference of (estimating) about 2-3 months of wait time vs. a reservation made directly today. Assuming a risk-free transaction, that is, the buyer assumes your reservation with no chance of Tesla calling foul, no chance of taxable issues, etc., we're valuing $5k risk-free interest at say 3 months. Current low risk interest rates are about 3% annually. This represents a little under $40 in the time value of money equation to the buyer. So, assuming the buyer overlooks real risk, $5040 is fair value for your reservation. However, the risks I mention, among any others, have to be weighed against the $40 premium. I can only imagine folks that skipped economics courses would be considering your offer.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that you are valuing the risk you took, and the market factors that have come during your deposit period, as value that the buyer should assume. This is clearly not the case, because the instrument is still readily available from the primary issuer.

I'll agree with the thread - get your deposit back. You know about economics - better to have the money now and invest it for yourself.

and global warming (climate change) has been complete exposed as the fraud it has always been.

I've spent my entire career in the oil and gas industry, and even I had a chuckle with this one.

Hope you find success in this effort, but I don't really see it happening. People reserving X's today are getting numbers of 16,000 and change. At a 30k car per year production rate, people today will get theirs 2 months after you. $5000 over two months at today's rates... Your reservation is worth about 50 bucks.

Wow...okay then.

I've allowed someone else access to my money for a product that was originally presented as becoming available a year ago. During that time period the market has hit several new highs, oil prices have been cut in half and global warming (climate change) has been complete exposed as the fraud it has always been.

In the past year anthropogenic climate change has been "complete exposed as the fraud"? I follow that issue and I am not aware of any compelling evidence to support that statement. .

And of course we all know that when oil prices decline they never go back up.

Your X reservation is worth close to nothing. Get your deposit back and move on.

Given your recognition of the time value of money, why did you reserve an unreleased product that requires new technology from a company with a track record of missing deadlines? Why did you then not cancel your reservation as soon as it became clear that it wasn't going to released anywhere near the original deadline?

I'm hoping to be able to get a Model 3 but there's no way I'll be reserving ahead of time.

In 2013 I placed my order for the X. I paid extra to get on the early list and my number was in the 1200. about a week later they moved the date to 2015. So I called and told them to built a Model S. Been driving it a year and loving it. My wife is a big SUV fan and now we will be ordering her the Model X.