Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X P90D Accleration Testing, wow, be prepared, quicker than the Model S P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
love it, this thing will be the ultimate Q car, well SUV anyway.

different gearing possibly?
I guess the motors are the same, but I assume the wheels at least with 22's are a different rolling radius

I personally dont believe Pilot Cups will make any difference, I believe Tesla have the primary power map calculated against the optimum adhesion of the supplied tyres, then apply t/c if grip breaks. You would need to recalibrate the map against stickier tyres to see an improvement with them. Perhaps the hacking thread can help ;)

The incredibly consistent brute force manipulation of rear motor torque would seem to back that up.

I'm not sure how you can make that determination conclusively. Because it's an AC induction motor that means that power doesn't get delivered to the wheels directly, the inverter drives a frequency, not power via voltage like a DC motor. For torque to be applied the rotor must be spinning slower than the magnetic field. So any loss of traction and increase of rotor RPM before inverter frequency should appear as a loss of torque, and you should see exactly that in the datalog.

Actually off the top of my head I can't see any way to show from that data log that torque was intentionally pulled back. Maybe if you can find a inverter drive frequency somewhere.

Nothing conclusive about the observation. The only thing that really stood out to me with the repeatable nature and timing of the torque reduction. The real world seldom allows for that kind of repeatability which has me thinking divine (Tesla) intervention. Add to that the apparent capability of Model X with its extra weight and the chances that Tesla is controlling things down low gets even greater.

Nothing conclusive about the observation. The only thing that really stood out to me with the repeatable nature and timing of the torque reduction. The real world seldom allows for that kind of repeatability which has me thinking divine (Tesla) intervention. Add to that the apparent capability of Model X with its extra weight and the chances that Tesla is controlling things down low gets even greater.
So you're saying that Tesla knew this car went to the guy who owns the Youtube channel and they gave him extra power to show everyone how fast the X really is? Seems a bit like a conspiracy to me.:eek:

No, nothing of the sort although the post gave me a chuckle.
My guess is that Tesla knows just how much they can push the tires from testing and do just under that as a programmed launch. The heavier MX with larger rubber may be able to take a bit more power than the MS. What we need is data from the MX to see exactly what Tesla is doing in comparison to the P85D. Over time I hope to add the 85DL and P90D and P90DL.

My guess is that Tesla knows just how much they can push the tires from testing and do just under that as a programmed launch. The heavier MX with larger rubber may be able to take a bit more power than the MS. What we need is data from the MX to see exactly what Tesla is doing in comparison to the P85D. Over time I hope to add the 85DL and P90D and P90DL.

If I luck out and get enough for a Tesla X P90DL*, and I decide to get lighter rims to reduce bumpy rides and noise, I wonder if Tesla's SW will figure out how to handle my different rims. Part of this wonder extends to wondering how this launch speed would be different.

Time to go read the response to my noise question about lighter rims.

* It seems sacrilege to get a Tesla X P90DL fully loaded that isn't a Founder's Edition since those were easy to get for people who already had Model S's and were eligible for the rewards program, but as a non-S owner, I would be ineligible; in response, perhaps I should wait until the next major upgrade to order (battery size, AP hardware, something).

This is all pretty much as I expected. Traction is the key, when paired with instantaneous torque. I have argued with folk on YouTube who disagree that the Model S will smoke a Hellcat, even when loaded seven deep. It will be very nice when this notion is proven by a fully loaded Model X smoking anything Dodge/RAM can throw at them in the 1/4 mile.

Ah. The idea of seven helmets in one vehicle, lined up against just one helmet in the sportscar next to them in the adjoining lane... Pure joy.

We've had a few claims that there is no traction problem in the Model S. I am not a believer, regardless.

* It seems sacrilege to get a Tesla X P90DL fully loaded that isn't a Founder's Edition since those were easy to get for people who already had Model S's and were eligible for the rewards program, but as a non-S owner, I would be ineligible;

You think referring ten people to buy Tesla Model Ss would have been easy? I would tend to disagree. I think that your suggesting that earning a Founder's Model X was easy is a bit of an insult to the people that achieved what I would consider a monumental accomplishment, and certainly one to be incredibly proud of.

yea, not easy to sell 10 cars.... I wonder how many founders by referral there are....

You think referring ten people to buy Tesla Model Ss would have been easy? I would tend to disagree. I think that your suggesting that earning a Founder's Model X was easy is a bit of an insult to the people that achieved what I would consider a monumental accomplishment, and certainly one to be incredibly proud of.

all I can say is wow, this car is so fast it doesn't make sense....

Worlds Quickest Production SUV Tesla Model X P90D Ludicrous 0-60, 0-100 MPH Testing

It's quicker than the Model S P85D... :)

The Model X must be making more power than the P90D Ludicrous to go this fast given the significant extra weight, so there is hope for a 10 second Model S....

You're comparing actual 0-60 of one car with the spec/estimate of another car.

The actual 0-60 of the P85D is closer to 3 seconds, not 3.2:

3.05 which I've repeated myself with my vbox prior to upgrading to Ludicrous.

With Ludicrous, mine and others have dipped into the 2.8s.

Let's just make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm, I must have meant "easy" in some bizarre relative sense; sorry, and I'll retract that now. In retrospect, what I should have said is I was merely postulating that most people getting a Model X P90DL either could afford Signature or did the amazing legwork for Founder's, and therefore regular non-sig non-Founder's full-option-loaded X's would be rare. No insult meant at all; quite the opposite.

Last edited: