Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X mules - is the nose cone gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WAG: given that the panels/lights clearly don't fit together, perhaps those aren't the final lights?

Clearly much of the forum wisdom* has decided that we ARE seeing the final production versions of the X. Even though each one is different. Maybe nose cone style will be an option during configuration?

*Excluding those who have no opinion whatsoever, of course.

Clearly much of the forum wisdom* has decided that we ARE seeing the final production versions of the X. Even though each one is different. Maybe nose cone style will be an option during configuration?

*Excluding those who have no opinion whatsoever, of course.

Every one is different?

maxresdefault.jpg

Tesla-Model-X-0.jpg
IMG_3612.JPG
17485240023_d5526789eb_b.jpg
Screen shot 2015-04-21 at 10.15.22 PM.png

I mean, just going through a quick Google image search I came up with the first two, which closely match the most recent one. I don't see any meaningful differences.

Last edited:
Sorry for the digression but looking at those photos it looks like the the ride height is a couple inches higher than the s, if you add a couple inches to that with air suspension I wonder what the off-road capabilities start looking like?

I still believe all these pics are much ado about nothing... but early mules being used for mechanical/software testing. What we need to spot now is an off the line production road tester. Maybe we should start a new thread and have a prize for the first OP of a pre-reveal production model, with interior views.

I still believe all these pics are much ado about nothing... but early mules being used for mechanical/software testing. What we need to spot now is an off the line production road tester. Maybe we should start a new thread and have a prize for the first OP of a pre-reveal production model, with interior views.

We have an ongoing disagreement about whether these vehicles represent the final styling. My only point now is that I don't see any meaningful differences between these prototypes, in terms of underlying styling. They don't appear to be all different; they appear to be largely identical.

If that were true, we wouldn't have a b'zillion posts dissecting the differences. :)

OK. But, seriously, what are the differences in the nose cones of the vehicles that I posted? Apart from some being white and some being black, they are all the same.

Or, if there are other pics that I am not finding that do show a different set up, I'm happy to see those, too.

OK. But, seriously, what are the differences in the nose cones of the vehicles that I posted? Apart from some being white and some being black, they are all the same.

Or, if there are other pics that I am not finding that do show a different set up, I'm happy to see those, too.

I was being serious. Almost every time a new picture is posted, people dissect every pixel. And totally ignoring the fact, that with the exception of the out-of-focus ones from the Fremont track, these are in use by engineering over in Palo Alto, and are likely 'franken-cars', assembled out of whatever parts are available over the last several years. Even if you find a dozen exactly the same, that doesn't prove that these are the production release design.

But we have not been in agreement on that yet. I'm pretty much just waiting for the reveal. Because everyone has an opinion - but we'll see what the facts are soon enough :). (And trust me, I've done some spectacular face plants in my life. At least we both have actual opinions and aren't just trying to play all sides :).)

We have an ongoing disagreement about whether these vehicles represent the final styling. My only point now is that I don't see any meaningful differences between these prototypes, in terms of underlying styling. They don't appear to be all different; they appear to be largely identical.

That was my point... so no matter what the final styling may be, it seems like it's time to re-focus on figuring out the best way/place/time to spot a production tester out in the wild... or is it that old mules don't die, they just never go out to pasture.

Every one is different?

View attachment 90167

View attachment 90168View attachment 90169 View attachment 90170View attachment 90172

I mean, just going through a quick Google image search I came up with the first two, which closely match the most recent one. I don't see any meaningful differences.

The earliest white mules had slightly different noses than later black mules (oldest black mule is not clear enough to say).

Two things were different on white mules vs. black mules nose:

- "Nose cone" border trim looks hand-applied on the whites (camo under wrap?)

- Possible vent on the lower edge of the "nose cone" had vertical slats in the whites under camo wrap (March Fast Lane sighting especially)

I agree overall the noses on the mules have been the same, but that area were different in early mules vs. later mules. Not unlike changes in the spoiler area which has gone through a similar evolution in the mules.

Interesting that most of the mules have remained so same, only increasingly accurate, while these few areas have actually changed.

- - - Updated - - -

We're going to have to accept that some people are not that interested in having a serious, detailed discussion about these matters, but rather like to make a bit of fun of the process.

They don't understand why we do it. We know they are prototypes, but are interested in seeing what *might* apply to production. But they don't get or agree with that, hence what we do seems worthy of eye rolling to them.

(And trust me, I've done some spectacular face plants in my life. At least we both have actual opinions and aren't just trying to play all sides :).)

I didn't know this was some kind of a competition where one had to pick sides. Silly. The world is full of greys and unknowns, not blacks and whites. That's a bit too "either you're with us or against us" for some of us, but to each their own I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

That was my point... so no matter what the final styling may be, it seems like it's time to re-focus on figuring out the best way/place/time to spot a production tester out in the wild... or is it that old mules don't die, they just never go out to pasture.

Aside from the claim production-looking vehicles being seen on the test track (I would love if someone went there with a good lens), Tesla seems to have kept a tight lid on non-mules. All mules seen in 2015 on roads have had pretty much the same camo and same look, aside from some missing trim and panel alignment improvements. Few notable nose and spoiler exceptions mentioned in the posts above (also camera testing differences of course).

So I agree the mules are of diminishing returns by now, although even just today we got new tyre size data from a mule. They can still surprise. :)

I didn't know this was some kind of a competition where one had to pick sides. Silly. The world is full of greys and unknowns, not blacks and whites. That's a bit too "either you're with us or against us" for some of us, but to each their own I guess.

When there are bets in place, yes, it is a competition. Some will be right and others will be wrong. We're having a bit of fun. Let's not characterize it differently. :)

And trying to insult me when I was giving JST kudos for having an opinion? Awkward.

I would argue that when it comes to the question of "is this the final version or not", the answer is indeed binary. Though, I guess your argument is that it could be "kind of" the final version.

When there are bets in place, yes, it is a competition. Some will be right and others will be wrong. We're having a bit of fun. Let's not characterize it differently. :)

And trying to insult me when I was giving JST kudos for having an opinion? Awkward.

No problem with compliments - my reference was to your comments on those without opinions. You know what I mean.

- - - Updated - - -

I would argue that when it comes to the question of "is this the final version or not", the answer is indeed binary. Though, I guess your argument is that it could be "kind of" the final version.

If that is the question then no, this is not the final version.

That isn't the question, though, as not even JST claims it is.

I don't understand why they camo the headlights like that. The shape is still clear (and clearly the essential MS headlight), and there can't be anything in there that isn't cosmetic or they shouldn't be blocking it.

So what gives?

Interesting headlight designs are all the rage these days. Everyone is playing with LED strips, swoopy chrome bits and shapes. Tesla is just trying to hide their latest look until they are ready to unveil it. The front fascia of cars is one of the most important aspects of a car's design as it's the "face" of the car and thus the brand. Model S' front has been rather ho-hum and Franz has said he wasn't totally satisfied with it. Model X will give Tesla the opportunity to introduce a new corporate design for the front that will surely make it to Model S and perhaps Model 3.

What I see in the latest production candidate photo above is the new face with just a hint of the old nosecone but it's moulded into the front rather than a separate piece in a contrasting colour. I'm pretty much the new nose with be body-coloured.