Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in showrooms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They might also put some beta cars in showrooms. I think they might have done that with the S, briefly.

They did do that, not right at release but soon after - there were so many people thinking that was the final fit/finish, that I don't know if it was a good thing to do - which might be the reason for the 'briefly'. :) (Or maybe because they shipped one each off the production line to the stores...)

My wife really wants to at least sit in if not drive the X before finalizing. She is 4'8" and is very sensitive to seat position and blocked views. We gave up our sig reservation because we knew she wouldn't be able to do that before finalizing. Even with our low production reservation I'm a bit worried, but I'm sure we can defer if need be. So Bonnie and all you sig owners out there, I'd be very grateful if you offer up demo drives etc to the rest of us. It's not clear if Tesla will have X's in the showroom in time.

The X was supposedly designed with women in mind. Let's hope this is true. Adjustable pedals would be awesome for my wife.

My wife really wants to at least sit in if not drive the X before finalizing. She is 4'8" and is very sensitive to seat position and blocked views.
One of my few complains about my Model S is that the view out the rear isn't great to begin with and is then obstructed by (non-removable) headrests that we don't need 99% of the time. Hopefully that isn't an issue with your wife in the Model X. But at least you can use the camera for the rear view.

Yes. Quite a few of the first buyers paid upfront for a car they hadn't seen yet, not even knowing if the company would stay in business - but believing in the vision. Without them, there would likely be no Tesla today. (And a few of them are here on this forum.)

I discovered this yesterday during a conversation with an old timer in sales (was around during the roadster roll out). Her words were almost exactly as you describe. Pretty amazing how much folks want this car, which is why we bought stock. My biggest problem is going to be convincing the wife not to sell when we hit $300/share.

Yes. Quite a few of the first buyers paid upfront for a car they hadn't seen yet, not even knowing if the company would stay in business - but believing in the vision. Without them, there would likely be no Tesla today. (And a few of them are here on this forum.)

I discovered this yesterday during a conversation with an old timer in sales (was around during the roadster roll out). Her words were almost exactly as you describe. Pretty amazing how much folks want this car, which is why we bought stock. My biggest problem is going to be convincing the wife not to sell when we hit $300/share.
Hold fast!

Might want to fix that quote, Cattledog. I'm pretty sure I didn't say all that, mostly because I don't have a wife. :)

Poor Bonnie...she gets more labels than a supermarket arrangement of apples. :rolleyes:

Not that there is anything wrong with that. However, thanks to the Supreme Court, its now possible for anyone to legally have a wife. :) How do I add a rainbow icon to my badges? :wink:

Ah this reminds me about a trick my coworkers pulled. One Sat the wife opened the mail box to find a package titled "Here's the mail order bride catalogue" you requested. Fortunately my wife's response was "he's neither this smart nor this dumb". They thought it was hilarious.

I'd just like to point out the reason for the poor viewing angles in modern cars. It isn't Tesla Motors' fault.

About 25 years ago, Honda embarrassed the entire automotive industry by building a lightweight car that simultaneously: 1) met EPA requirements for CAFE as a Midsize vehicle; 2) met CARB requirements for zero emissions; and 3) successfully passed all crash tests required by the NHTSA. As a result, the Accord became the best selling passenger car in the US for a time.

The Detroit Big Three protested. They complained, saying there was no way such a small car was 'safer' than larger cars were. They lobbied for the addition of three new crash tests -- all of which designed to destroy Honda products. So the offset frontal, side impact, and rollover tests were added for everyone in the industry. The increase in weight that happened because of this made for poorer fuel economy, smaller windows, thicker roof supports all around that blocked visibility. Hence, why mirrors are no longer enough, and cameras all around are becoming the norm.

CARB also reviewed the test results for Hondas. Indeed, all the required gases and particulates had been reduced or eliminated. So they made everything that was expelled at the tailpipe, even if it wasn't harmful in any way to environmental air quality, illegal, non-compliant as well.

Every car company that makes an attempt toward significant increases in fuel economy, combined with performance and decent styling makes the rest of the automotive industry 'look bad'.

@RedSage you are showing your age [emoji6] The Accord was introduced in 1976, 39 years ago. I also recall the year because that was the year I first bought a new car, a Volkswagen Rabbit, and I seriously considered the Accord as it was quite an advance in many ways.
In any case, as it appears very likely that the X is going into limited production next month, August, with ramp up in September, I expect to see the X in some Tesla showrooms in early September.

Went by our local dealership on Friday. Asked them if they had any information about when we could see the X. He couldn't give me any new information (still said Sept./Oct) but said that as soon as they start production they will have one for viewing in each dealership.

Went by our local dealership on Friday. Asked them if they had any information about when we could see the X. He couldn't give me any new information (still said Sept./Oct) but said that as soon as they start production they will have one for viewing in each dealership.

That's certainly what I would expect. It's more important to get vehicles in front of customers to drive further orders than ship existing orders slightly sooner.

That's certainly what I would expect. It's more important to get vehicles in front of customers to drive further orders than ship existing orders slightly sooner.

I am sure the chances are better now but my local dealer told me they would have one in August. That was in January of 2013 and they meant August 2013... As we all know, store information is often not the most reliable.

I am still curious how they are going to have a configurator online this month (or maybe August/September in Tesla Time - thanks Bonnie), not have an invite to a reveal event yet and have cars in stores soon. Then there is the government crash testing which will need to happen before they are officially on the road. I realize that the store models can be from before the crash testing.

I'm not seeing this logic right now. If someone orders a Model X today, they might get it in 6 months. Why is it important to Tesla to have more orders for 6 or 7 months from now, rather than making deliveries, earning cash flow, and starting to work on that six month list?
Walter

Tesla doesn't have dealerships. It has stores (in states where direct sales are legal) and galleries (in states where Tesla can not sell directly). Dealers are businesses that sell someone else's product.