Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in Canada - Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I don't get ludicrous, will I have remorse for a lifetime?

it is not often in a lifetime that we can upgrade to ferrari performance ... For 12K$

6 days to change my mind

And don't forget, that's $12,100 CDN converted @ $1.21. On February 7th, ludicrous mode isn't going to be less expensive. Remember, you currently have a fixed price, good only for your 7 day window. I predict the upgrade will cost around $13,200 CDN tomorrow, and that is absolutely maximum plaid.

And don't forget, that's $12,100 CDN converted @ $1.21. On February 7th, ludicrous mode isn't going to be less expensive. Remember, you currently have a fixed price, good only for your 7 day window. I predict the upgrade will cost around $13,200 CDN tomorrow, and that is absolutely maximum plaid.

Your prediction is bang on target 13,200/ . All new pricing on TM website for Model S.

Last edited:
Your prediction is bang on target 13,200/ . All new pricing on TM website for Model S.

I have a great deal of empathy for my fellow Cdn reservation holders who have not, to date, been invited to configure. I am sure you all knew that another currency correction was inevitable. Being a SigX reservation holder, I & many of the other Cdn SigX have already confirmed & fixed the final price of their vehicle. I personal confirmed in December 2015 & have a price of $178,450 Cdn before fee & taxes for a fully loaded Model X, converted @ $1.24. Today, anyone confirming an invitation, & to the best of my knowledge, that is 100% of the approximately 1.200 Canadian production reservation holders, will be required to come up with another 6.7%.
Since December, the Cdn $ has not lost any more ground & remains trading @ about $1.45. I am suggesting that the reason for today's rate change is that the last time a correction was made was in the fall of 2015 when the Cdn $ was trading @ approximately $1.35.
If it helps at all, remember that the cost of your planned purchase still remains lower that paying Tesla in $US.

P.S. Since it appears that the Telsa Forum remains down, I will update this post as soon as I get any further news from Tesla on SigX which I have ordered. I am currently waiting for a VIN.

Forum is not down anymore. Has been up since yesterday. I did post on it.

Thanks @SMSMD. I have decided not to reply to posts on Tesla's Forum in the future since I feel it is easier for Canadians to use this post & website for Cdn specific delivery info. If anyone wishes to contact me in the future concerning information that I have previously posted on Telsa's Forum, please respond on this post. Thanks.

New development in the design studio, but I'm not sure how this change will apply to non-signature reservation holders. In the past, the 2" Tow Hitch was $750 and the Accessory Hitch (bikes/skis) was a free option.

Now, the Accessory Hitch is a $250 option and there is information indicating that it will also be a 2" receiver as well (it was assumed it would be 1.25" in the past).

Here is a little more information for everyone. After I was invited to configure my vehicle, I had access to the design studio to "build" my Sig X. However, unlike vandacca who has not confirmed and placed his order, my access to the design studio was removed after Tesla confirmed my order on January 4th. I am able to view and print my personal build options.

Just called in earlier today inquiring about the Canadian Signature X waitlist and was informed via email shortly thereafter that the list is currently closed.

Oh well, in no hurry to get it anyways :)

May I suggest that the Canadian Sig X list is "CURRENTLY" closed for a specific reason. If, as I suspect, there remain only 50 Signature vehicles allocated to Canada. The word "currently" suggests that of the 50 invitations already sent out to Canadians on the wait list, not all have configure to date. I suspect that as each invitation expires, another one will open until 50 vehicles have been purchased in Canada. Since we don't have access to the total # of confirmations to date, I suggest you do what even is necessary to get on the list, which includes getting another $35K to Tesla ASAP.

I posted this in the Canada sub-forum, but curious what the thoughts are here:
Ontario offering $14,000 in incentives to people who buy electric cars

Looks like the $8.5K is being upped to $14K ... except for cars $75K -$150K.. that goes down to $3K discount.

That's confusing. Does that mean that the provincial incentives are being replaced by the federal ones? If so, that could mean that the Ontario $8.5K incentive will be lowered to $3K since a fully loaded Model-X is over $75K-$150K. Seems strange to me to include a range (e.g. $75K - $150K) where the lower incentives take precedence. Why not say anything over $75K??? Very poorly written article. I've seen 8 other news sources quote this exact (Canadian Press) article without providing any additional information.

That's confusing. Does that mean that the provincial incentives are being replaced by the federal ones? If so, that could mean that the Ontario $8.5K incentive will be lowered to $3K since a fully loaded Model-X is over $75K-$150K. Seems strange to me to include a range (e.g. $75K - $150K) where the lower incentives take precedence. Why not say anything over $75K??? Very poorly written article. I've seen 8 other news sources quote this exact (Canadian Press) article without providing any additional information.

@vandacca, confusion is part of the process when dealing with any new information not validated by the source. I suggest we research independently.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, It appears official. My SigX just cost me $5,500 more. Oh well, at least it's in Canadian dollars & HST free. I have to look on the bright side, it makes my Model 3 cheaper.

Last edited:
@vandacca, confusion is part of the process when dealing with any new information not validated by the source. I suggest we research independently.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, It appears official. My SigX just cost me $5,500 more. Oh well, at least it's in Canadian dollars & HST free. I have to look on the bright side, it makes my Model 3 cheaper.

Currently, the official website indicates that it's still a $8,500 rebate for Ontario. However, that may change...

Currently, the official website indicates that it's still a $8,500 rebate for Ontario. However, that may change...

Premier Wynne has probably not returned to her office yet, and since Tesla is now offering the SigX RED to the Chinese followed by the rest of the globe, I expect my incentive paperwork will not go into the ministry until after I receive my SUV in June. That $5,500 extra I had earmarked for my winter wheel package. I haven't told my wife yet, but our upper ceiling has been raised to $500K.

Last edited:
Its Official. Rebate for Modex X officially reduced to $3000.00

The official govt website is now updated to reflect the new rules. All orders not actually purchased our affected. The few who actually paid for the Model Sig X may possibly not be affected. Everyone else gets screwed.

Tesla Motors, 2016, Model S Sedan, All trim levels

$3,000
$999
$2,001

$3,000
Tesla Motors, 2016, Model X, All trim levels
$3,000
$999
$2,001
$3,000

On a personal level because of the unexpected high price and also the exchange rates I will be cancelling my order. It sounds like the base Model-X in Canada will be at least $120k + tax = approx $130k. Then a $3k rebate. So $127K. Winter package and a few extras I'd be looking at $135K and this is best case scenario. Combine that with expected problems with the gull wing doors and risks of chips and cracks with the windows and its just too much to pay for a car. When I ordered it 3 + years ago ( I'm a top 100 reservation in Canada) I was originally expecting it to be about $87.5K-$90K after rebates.

There are a lot of new electric and PHEV offering coming out now such as Audi, Porsche, BMW, and Volvo . Some of them like Audi and Volume will qualify for the new and more generous rebates and come in at about 60% of the Telsa Model-X price. Its an easy decision at this stage if i want to stage electric. However , with oil prices this low for the foreseeable future I might not even bother .

Shame on the government for not also rebating these vehicles at the same rate as the others . Penalizing the pioneers. I can assure you that at least 50-60% of the Canadian Model-X orders will be cancelled.

At least I made some money on my $5K deposit : )