Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x home outlet over heating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@16fragar At a minimum, I would manually set the amperage on the large screen in vehicle charging screen to 20amps. Remember that every time you reset your car, the amps reset to 32. So, check the setting every time you plug in.

Although that may work his setup may be damaged ..wire ..outlet ..best is play safe and rewire :oops:

Wow you're lucky your house didn't catch on fire. I doubt homeowner's insurance would cover anything in case of fire. Your 30A breaker should have tripped under the 32A draw from your charger. All kinds of craziness going on here. Get a real electrician to come out and install one under permit. This is for you and your family's own safety. As others have stated, 14-50 plug needs a 50A breaker and 6-awg wiring, even if your Gen2 charger only draws 32A.

• Love
Reactions: K3Man and P85_DA
I have it on 20 right now
The risk is you may have damaged the outlet, wiring, or breaker with you pulling amps over the stated ratings. You should fix as soon as possible or at least have an electrician verify there was no damage until you can fix 240v circuit. I was only stating above that your other option is to switch to a 110v outlet and mobile adapter. You know that that circuit is good and will not pose a risk.

If the breaker / wiring is setup for 30a. You should have a 14-30 outlet and purchase the appropriate adaptor from Tesla.

Of course, if 14-50 is the goal, the wiring needs to be correctly sized with an appropriate breaker to match.

And, as others have said, the wiring and outlet should be checked.

Reactions: 16fragar and P85_DA
I love the idea of getting a permit. Some electricians are all "This will work ... " and not read the instructions or code book until there is a permit with their name, and livelihood, on the line. Plus, as some pointed out, insurance companies will use the lack of a permit, whether one is required by code or not, to try weasel out of paying if something happen.

Reactions: P85_DA
My brother in-law in Florida wired up his own 50A breaker and 14-50 outlet.... using 14 ga. wire. Good thing he called me before the new car arrived. He would've burned down the house for sure.

I'm charging at 24 amps, and that's really a gracious plenty for the driving we do. Even with that we only plug-in a couple of days a week.

• Informative
Reactions: jboy210 and P85_DA