Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, pretty awesome for a CUV!

indeed, nice find sir!

*edit* here's confirmation of Franz's involvement for the record:

While Tesla's headquarters are in Palo Alto, Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen and his team work out of Tesla's design center in Hawthorne. Musk has credited a talented team of relatively young designers and engineers with developing the Model X.

Last edited:
Actually after pen, paper and much back and forth with my wife, I think the doors will go ABOVE the car's roof. They say the pivots from the top so I'm imagining the hinges being at the top of the a pillar instead of the bottom/midsection.

If you look at the car from the top I expect it to look like a beetle's wings when they're folded in or a dog with its ears tucked back. So the doors go up like scissor doors, but also pivot and lay down on top of the vehicle if that makes sense.

Actually after pen, paper and much back and forth with my wife, I think the doors will go ABOVE the car's roof. They say the pivots from the top so I'm imagining the hinges being at the top of the a pillar instead of the bottom/midsection.

If you look at the car from the top I expect it to look like a beetle's wings when they're folded in or a dog with its ears tucked back. So the doors go up like scissor doors, but also pivot and lay down on top of the vehicle if that makes sense.

So what about home and public parking garages?

Depends on the height of the X. My Q5 has space enough above it in my garage to lay some doors down on top of it
Yeah, probably isn't that much worse that a roof rack (but bringing that up, wouldn't that prohibit having a roof rack? Or at least there would need to be a modified version).

Public garages usually have a height clearance of about 7 feet (give or take a couple inches); also true of most home garages.

I guess "Falcon Doors" are like those bi-fold aircraft hanger doors where you could store your, um, Falcon Jet...
Bi-foldHangarDoor_1231367458.jpg

Yeah, roof rack could definitely be problematic. Hey, maybe it folds into the interior of the car or into the frame like previously suggested.... Guess we'll know in 2 weeks
I've seen designs like that on concept cars. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me since it would get the interior wet in inclement weather.

The operation I pictured is something like this photo TEG posted, using a telescoping support arm near the fold.
11-up-doors-wall-und-8211-mounted-cabinets-bi-fold-lift-system-2911-kitchen-manufacturer-germany.jpg

Also shouldn't interfere with a luggage rack. Vertical clearance might still be an issue. We'll see...