Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X falcon door accident...are you kidding me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this one should probably make the farmers insurance car accident awards on TV.

I'm in front of my garage with people in the back seats of my model X prior to entering the garage. The falcon doors opened to let the passengers out before entering the garage. Both went up simultaneously. The passengers both exited simultaneously.....the left rear passenger manually closed the door by hitting the close button. I hear the door closing,...."whirl...click...click"....so i know that the door is closed. Now on the right the passenger did not hit the button,...she assumed i would close the door from the front.

When I heard the left door closing, I thought both doors were closing! So now I'mready to enter the garage not knowing that the rear right door is fully opened. . Because of the blind spot, you dont realize its still opened and the car moves (a design flaw if you ask me)

Now on the MCU screen, yes, door open warning image there,...but I'm not looking at the screen..., I’m looking out the window because it’s a tight fit. Now your asking, what about the audible warnings? Yes, I heard the tones, but they are the same tones I hear from the radar/ camera sensors going crazy everytime I enter the garage!

bottom line, door hits top of garage frame....crash, door becomes misaligned and bent back. total damage.

I'm in shock,..i just washed the car that morning!!! My wife starts crying that she should have shut the door. I'm like,...."this is a design flaw....why is the car even moving with the door open,...or why not have a warning tone thats louder....or "falcon door open!! pull up...pull up!!!""

C,mon Elon, Dont you think this is a greater priority than getting my horn to make a fart sound?

I was pretty depressed about this. I didn’t want to post my experience because other posts ‘Ive read with this type of accident, the replies would state the guys an idiot for not looking at the MCU screen.

But I feel I got screwed on this one. Never had an accident in over 45 years driving,…now my dream car I finally buy and a year into it this happens, but its not like I avoided hitting an old lady.

Well,…Im out 1,000 bucks deductable,…insurance is covering the rest,…15,000 bucks….not bad, I hear that rear ended tesla fender bumps can be over 20k. But if my deductable goes up Ill be pissed as this clearly was a flukey incident.

Thoughts? Number one,…I still think the falcon doors are cool, but c’mon,…car moves is open? What about a better warning tone?

Bummed in Long island

Rob

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
First off, sorry to hear about your incident. This sounded pretty terrible. But to be honest (and not trying to be a jerk), your car gave multiple warnings which you admittedly ignored. I cannot expect a car designer to try and cater sounds to my individual personal liking because I may choose to ignore ones that may be to similar.

I too had a recent experience like this in my MS and my evil garage. I was backing into my garage after my daughter got out which is also a tight fit. I have this stupid pole in the middle of my garage that I normally see and I always get a sensor warning that this pole is still there. Well, this one time I was not paying enough attention, my passenger mirror was bumped backward making it harder for me to see and I backed into the pole. It left just short of $5k of damage but I was totally wrong for not being more aware of my surroundings. I would say I got to comfortable and complacency got the best of that situation. But at the end of the day I am the operator and I ignored the warnings, I ignored that I had reduced visibility. I cannot expect a car to fully control a situation.

First off, sorry to hear about your incident. This sounded pretty terrible. But to be honest (and not trying to be a jerk), your car gave multiple warnings which you admittedly ignored. I cannot expect a car designer to try and cater sounds to my individual personal liking because I may choose to ignore ones that may be to similar.

I too had a recent experience like this in my MS and my evil garage. I was backing into my garage after my daughter got out which is also a tight fit. I have this stupid pole in the middle of my garage that I normally see and I always get a sensor warning that this pole is still there. Well, this one time I was not paying enough attention, my passenger mirror was bumped backward making it harder for me to see and I backed into the pole. It left just short of $5k of damage but I was totally wrong for not being more aware of my surroundings. I would say I got to comfortable and complacency got the best of that situation. But at the end of the day I am the operator and I ignored the warnings, I ignored that I had reduced visibility. I cannot expect a car to fully control a situation.
^^ This

Sorry it happened OP, but CaliSurfer is dead on.

All cars will drive with doors open (admittedly we only have Teslas at this point, but from my recollection that is not unique) and anything we hit when a door is open (and being warned) is our fault.

It’s not like I was “ignoring” the warning tones. I just was under the impression this was a sensor proximity tones going into the garage, not from the door being open.

There should be different tones for doors being open.
anyway, it’s all fixed. $1000 deductible and probably getting a break on that and no increase in premium. What’s done is done,… Bottom line

Changing the name of my home link button to “close falcon doors”

R

It’s not like I was “ignoring” the warning tones. I just was under the impression this was a sensor proximity tones going into the garage, not from the door being open.

There should be different tones for doors being open.
anyway, it’s all fixed. $1000 deductible and probably getting a break on that and no increase in premium. What’s done is done,… Bottom line

Changing the name of my home link button to “close falcon doors”

R

Sorry to hear about your traumatic experience. I hope that your body shop gets the vehicle repaired quickly and to your satisfaction.

The tones for attempting to drive with the doors open are NOT the same as the tones for the parking sensors. Additionally, the screen displays a large warning message, in red, about the fact that the doors aren't closed. This happened because you were in a rush and/or not paying attention to your surroundings, not because of some inherent flaw in the vehicle's warnings to you. Own it, fix it, move on.

Last edited:
I don't see this as a failure on tesla in even the slightest fashion. It is 100% operator error and you should pay attention to your surroundings. Stay alert stay alive people.

I don't know how you can be so tunnel versioned that you don't even glance down at the screen right in front of your eyes where it shows the door open. Also a quick glance around you'd seen the door was open.
I have no sympathy for you and i think your insurance shouldn't have covered crap since it was the driver being stupid that caused the problem and nothing more. Which i suppose is what collision covers but still you get my point.

I don't see this as a failure on tesla in even the slightest fashion. It is 100% operator error and you should pay attention to your surroundings. Stay alert stay alive people.

I don't know how you can be so tunnel versioned that you don't even glance down at the screen right in front of your eyes where it shows the door open. Also a quick glance around you'd seen the door was open.
I have no sympathy for you and i think your insurance shouldn't have covered crap since it was the driver being stupid that caused the problem and nothing more. Which i suppose is what collision covers but still you get my point.
This post is so rude. I take it that you are perfect. Another one added to the ignore .