Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Retrofit steering wheel sold out already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can get people liking the yoke. In some situations I didn't hate it. Problem is with the lack of stalks, or an intelligent design, they screwed us all with the horn placement. Not easy to actuate the turn signals in a roundabout situation. Maybe not as many in the US as Europe, but they are there. The turn signal design is moronic if you have to use it while turning the wheel. Going straight I have no issues with the turn signals, especially since I added the clear little buttons to them. Much easier to find in a hurry.

I am fine with the headlight, voice actuation, WTF did they remove the following distance from the right thumb wheel, and I despise the gear shift. If I lived somewhere else, I might not hate the gearshift as much but it is a hazard instead an aid. Best I can do with it is plan around it as much as possible so it isn't an issue.

I am more of a function over form kind of person. I don't care how good it looks if it really impacts the usability. I'll be the first person to tell my wife take off the high heels. Yep, she looks amazing in them but we aren't going to be able to walk anywhere but maybe from the car to dinner/event/etc. They could have made better use of the wheel/yoke and mounted buttons on the back of the wheel instead of the stupid on-screen controls to shift. That would have eliminated a huge number of my gripes.

Reactions: Tiger
I’m gonna be a contrarian here, supposedly being in the minority that likes the yoke.

I think and this is just my personal opinion and I’m not a pundit to say or defend my choice, but I think stalk removal and the simplification with the yoke and executing it through the touch screen works for me. I personally disliked the Mercedes stalk on my prior S, I just thought it looked outdated and didn’t match the Tesla styling and concept especially with the new interior. I think the yoke flows well with it and with a full steering wheel it looks strange.

I also had zero problems adapting to the haptic turn signals, which the majority in this forum maligned.
Ironically, getting used to the haptic signals is the easiest part of it, really. Not initially, mind you, when the new S was released. The original way the turn signals worked was an abomination...

I’m gonna be a contrarian here, supposedly being in the minority that likes the yoke.

I think and this is just my personal opinion and I’m not a pundit to say or defend my choice, but I think stalk removal and the simplification with the yoke and executing it through the touch screen works for me. I personally disliked the Mercedes stalk on my prior S, I just thought it looked outdated and didn’t match the Tesla styling and concept especially with the new interior. I think the yoke flows well with it and with a full steering wheel it looks strange.

I also had zero problems adapting to the haptic turn signals, which the majority in this forum maligned.

Not contrarian at all; they never would've release it if they didn't think people would adapt to it. And like the rest of us, you're absolutely entitled to your opinion!

What irritated me (and prompted the post you quoted) were people accusing me of having never driven with the yoke, because if I had, I'd know it's better. Simple fact is that I own one, drive it every day, and still don't care for it. My round-wheel swap is coming on Friday, finally. Needed the FSD firmware update first.

It's a personal decision for sure.

And in the time since I wrote that post, I've continued to drive the yoke. I'm used to it at this point - but still vastly prefer a round wheel. Just my style. Same with the turn signals - I use my thumb to activate. I'm used to it but still prefer a stalk - it's more direct feedback... very easy to place my thumb slightly to the left or right of the actual haptic button and not activate it, when I thought I did. Stalks are more direct. Just my $0.02.

Glad it works for you -- that's exactly as-designed and I'm glad you enjoy driving it!

Reactions: bmah
After having done a couple hundred miles with the steering wheel post-retrofit, I'm definitely liking it.

My brain is still adapting to the combination of a wheel with buttons (it's trained to think wheel -> stalks and yoke -> buttons) but just in terms of overall driving comfort the wheel is winning for me. My usual position for driving on Autopilot is with my left hand at the bottom of the wheel (about the 6:30 position), and there just isn't a good analog to that on the yoke.

I completely understand how taller people might have problems with the top part of the wheel blocking their view of the IC. Those people might be better off with the yoke. For me I lose the top left and right corners of the IC, even with the wheel adjusted as high as it'll go, which I think is OK. I might try lowering my seat position a bit or pushing the wheel inwards. If you're considering the retrofit (or purchasing a new car with a wheel), I recommend trying to sit in a car with the appropriate configuration. I know how ridiculous that may sound.

Bruce.

PS. If you drive with the yoke and like it for whatever reason over a conventional steering wheel, I think that's great. Everybody's different.

Reactions: WilliamG
Has anyone purchased and had this installed? If so, what do you think? Looks to be a bit higher quality than the OEM Tesla wheel but I’m only going off of a couple pictures and videos.

Has anyone purchased and had this installed? If so, what do you think? Looks to be a bit higher quality than the OEM Tesla wheel but I’m only going off of a couple pictures and videos.

I have the secret-ev version. Price better than T-sportline and very good quality imo. Tesla Model S 2021+ Circular Steering Wheel Conversion

I bought a wheel from RPM Tesla which is amazing quality. I just need the round wheel airbag and that is why I ordered the wheel from Tesla as well. I plan to simply use the airbag so if in the unfortunate circumstance I ever need it to save my face, it will inflate properly with a round wheel setup.

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpeg
    IMG_2077.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 74
I'm with you OP. When my S got wrecked, I ended up in a Y rather than buying the 'improved' S with the yoke and no stalks. Another one of Elon's dumb ideas like saving money on the rain sensor.

Tesla knew this was a problem because they weren't giving S test drives when they only had the yoke option.

On the fanboi topic, I got banned from the main Tesla subreddit just for posting Elon's timelines and statements about FSD from 2016, with no commentary.

Curious. The retrofit steering wheel on my Long Range X is slightly but noticeably thinner than the stock steering wheel on my S85D, but the steering wheel in the picture looks thicker than both of them.

Bruce.
I think it's just camera angle. I sat in a new 2023, and depending on the angle the wheel shows up thinner or thicker in pictures.

Notice how thin the top looks in this picture:

1686861511513.jpeg

And now look how much thicker it looks at this angle:

1686861536559.jpeg

I believe you can also tell it's the same by how the material of the wheel at the bottom comes up slightly above the indented horizontal "lip" below the word "AIRBAG."

Reactions: bmah