Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a novice on window tinting, never had any car tinted before. I visited my local tinted shop and he recommended the Llumar film. Any ideas or comments on this brand? My intent of tinting my Model S (upcoming) is for blocking the heat in my area during summer, not for looks or try to keep interior magical. I don't want to do the front windshield except may be the top 4-5" assuming there is no tinting on Model S (correct?), only the side windows and hatch back window. I am concern about difficult to see at night if I go to 35% (legal limit in NC). What if I do 40%, 50%, etc? Comment?
Even with tint to 20% i've never had an issue with seeing out of the vehicle. It's kind of like being inside a house with no lights on and looking outside. You can see what's outside better than with the lights on, but people can't see inside at all. I'm sure there's some amount of light blocked that is measurable for seeing out, but I think the "safety" aspect is mostly hyperbole from law enforcement that want to be able to see into the car.

but I think the "safety" aspect is mostly hyperbole from law enforcement that want to be able to see into the car.

While that's certainly one of the reason's that tint on side windows is illegal in most states, the biggest reason that it is actually illegal is for your OWN safety (at least this is what was told to me on multiple occasions by cops in NJ .. I used to have 15% tint on my side windows so I got stopped all the time).

Side windows are engineered as breakaway glass for your own safety. In an accident they quickly shatter into thousands of small pieces so if your head jolts to the side there is no big shards of glass to cut you up. However, with the aftermarket tint film on the windows, in the event of an accident the film interferes with the "breakaway design" and holds all the shattered pieces together glued to the film. If your face hits that it will rip your face off or do some serious damage. They said they've seen this happen many times and it is not pretty. I even asked my family relative about this who was 27 years as an officer and he said the same thing. He also said it scared the crap out of him approaching any vehicle with tint since he could not see inside (he was an officer in Camden NJ so you never knew what you were going to deal with there).

One time I was in Baltimore and someone tried to break into my car with an ice pick - the whole window shattered but stayed together in one solid piece. They never got into the car, I guess they went to a different car after that. But looking at it I would agree that it would seem a bit frightening if that folded inward in an accident and my face was slid across it - yuck.

But in the end that still never stopped me from putting tint the side windows in all my vehicles though ;) hah

Here's my tint job:
photo 5.jpeg
photo 4.jpeg
photo 2.jpeg