Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my front windshield tinted with SunTek CeramicCIR 70% about a month ago. It turned out pretty good but there was a couple small areas with flaws, basically looked like small scratches or imperfections in the tint. It wasn’t that noticeable but it did catch my eye especially in lower light conditions. I had the installer look at it and he said it was minor and front tint is never flawless. He offered to redo it which I accepted. Unfortunately, there’s still some flaws similar to before. Looking back, I wish I would have just kept it as is the first time.

Is this the “norm” for front windshield tint? The tint work the installer did on the side and rear windows turned out basically flawless, but he said the front windshield is difficult to get absolutely perfect. This place has a ton of very good reviews (averaging 5 star on yelp) so I’m assuming they’re a pretty decent tint shop. Maybe I’m just expecting too much. :)

Loco_Nomad, that's a great question...
The way that law is written, it says that the combined measurement of the VLT (visible light transmitted) of your glass and tint must be 70% or higher on the front doors of your vehicle. Most glass is rated around 88%. So adding the 70%, technically, would give a combined rating of lower than 70% and therefore be "less than legal". But, the odds of it getting noticed at all, namely ticketed, are extremely low. They would need a meter to tell you the exact measurement and I would be confident that the reading of said meter would be in the low 60%. If you want 100% legal, you'd have to get a film in the high 80s% and THEN get is measured with your glass to confirm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
Loco_Nomad, that's a great question...
The way that law is written, it says that the combined measurement of the VLT (visible light transmitted) of your glass and tint must be 70% or higher on the front doors of your vehicle. Most glass is rated around 88%. So adding the 70%, technically, would give a combined rating of lower than 70% and therefore be "less than legal". But, the odds of it getting noticed at all, namely ticketed, are extremely low. They would need a meter to tell you the exact measurement and I would be confident that the reading of said meter would be in the low 60%. If you want 100% legal, you'd have to get a film in the high 80s% and THEN get is measured with your glass to confirm.

I remember the days where any tint on front windows was illegal in CA! I once got a ticket when i was 16 with my dark tinted windows up and no seat belt. I showed up to court and asked the judge 'If my windows were tinted and so dark, how could the officer see that i was wearing no seat belt?' Judge looked at me and smirked and let me go with a fix it ticket :)

• Funny
Reactions: Knightowl
Got 3M Crystaline installed on Tuesday, 50% front sides, 70% windshield, 20% back and 90% sunroof (sorry don't have nice pics yet, it is raining here in Bay Area and car is dirty :D )
Not as dark as I wanted in the back, was hoping 20% will be as dark as Suntek film
love the blue/pink/purple effect though

Attachments

• IMG_2720.JPG
    IMG_2720.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 304
After reading through a ton of threads on here and other forums, going through all the spec sheets, etc. I'm thinking to do Xpel XR Plus, since it performs similar to 3M Crystalline and Formule One Pinnacle but is significantly cheaper.

Would love to hear from everyone that has XR Plus about your experiences with it! Anything to look out for?

After reading through a ton of threads on here and other forums, going through all the spec sheets, etc. I'm thinking to do Xpel XR Plus, since it performs similar to 3M Crystalline and Formule One Pinnacle but is significantly cheaper.

Would love to hear from everyone that has XR Plus about your experiences with it! Anything to look out for?
I have Prime XR on my Teslas and it's a great film. My A/C never has to run at full blast and I rarely, if ever, use RECIRC even in south Florida summers. (all glass tinted except sunroof - ceramic on sides and windshield)

Reactions: Litigate28
In case anyone wants to see Photosync 30 and 70 on a S, here's one we did yesterday. We also turned it into satin/matte Midnight Silver (hence the title) but in the walk around, you see what the film looks like as well as the view from INSIDE the car.

~2:20 mark for walkaround