Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's 3M Crystalline 40 all around (front, rear, & hatch) nothing on the windshield. Nevermind the dirty car.. Sun is southish facing into the windshield with black leather interior.

Crystalline is more bronze than the dark gray, seems quite a bit lighter than most of the 35's or 30's that I've seen. I personally don't like it too dark and 40 is just about right. My previous cars have had Huper Optik ceramic and the 3M seems really clear, not sure if it's just the age tint on the older cars, but the clarity of the tint is excellent on the 3M film

Gorgeous. 40 looks perfect. Just out of curiosity, what did you spend doing this ? Thanks.

Just got 20% all the way around (sans windshield of course). He wouldn't do the roof because he said it could explode under too much heat. I seriously doubt that, and am pretty sure it's a myth propagated by the fact that tinting glass above your head is a PITA. But I'm quite happy with the results. No more gawkers. It's very dark inside with the black interior as well, which I like a lot. The 20% shading matches the roof almost perfectly. All for $180, not bad.

Just got 20% all the way around (sans windshield of course). He wouldn't do the roof because he said it could explode under too much heat. I seriously doubt that, and am pretty sure it's a myth propagated by the fact that tinting glass above your head is a PITA. But I'm quite happy with the results. No more gawkers. It's very dark inside with the black interior as well, which I like a lot. The 20% shading matches the roof almost perfectly. All for $180, not bad.

Did you get the 3M tint? May I ask where you went?

Did you get the 3M tint? May I ask where you went?

I used the tint guy from AZ Auto Trends on Baseline. I forgot to even ask what brand. I had asked about the Huperoptik IR blocking tint and he quoted me over $600. With the pre-cooling function of the app, I didn't think it was worth it. He was done in about 90 minutes and apparently does all of the cars for that shop. Give them a call, I'm sure they would be happy to tell you what tint it was.

Thanks Darth. I'll confirm what brand of carbon I have on.

I'll certainly pay to get the right tint in place.
Not blueish, one that doesn't turn purple over time, one that doesn't affect cell signals... And one that doesn't go rainbow (with or without polarized shades).

You're welcome greg. I hope things get sorted out for you. Most importantly, for me at least, keeping the inside of the car cool is my objective because my wife is sensitive to heat. And Photosynch scored very high at this level for us.

You're welcome greg. I hope things get sorted out for you. Most importantly, for me at least, keeping the inside of the car cool is my objective because my wife is sensitive to heat. And Photosynch scored very high at this level for us.

I must say I have heard such good things about photosynch thus far, but so far as I can ascertain it's merely vaporware in the philly area. No good to me if they have no installers and won't respond to repeated emails asking about local providers. I mean it's not CA, but philadelphia isn't exactly the middle of nowhere, you'd think they'd have some interest in getting the product into the area...

I must say I have heard such good things about photosynch thus far, but so far as I can ascertain it's merely vaporware in the philly area. No good to me if they have no installers and won't respond to repeated emails asking about local providers. I mean it's not CA, but philadelphia isn't exactly the middle of nowhere, you'd think they'd have some interest in getting the product into the area...

Yeah, I'm having trouble finding providers in my area, too. I'm going to ask some shops if they're willing to custom order the stuff. If not I will road trip to somewhere that will! ;)

No good to me if they have no installers and won't respond to repeated emails asking about local providers. I mean it's not CA, but philadelphia isn't exactly the middle of nowhere, you'd think they'd have some interest in getting the product into the area...
There were no installers listed in Arizona when I wanted to have my Spectra PhotoSync installed. I emailed the company, Prestige Film Technologies, which is the film manufacturer and they were very responsive and set me up with my preferred installer. You can contact Viet Tran, Director of Sales, directly at (925) 989-9473 or [email protected] .

There were no installers listed in Arizona when I wanted to have my Spectra PhotoSync installed. I emailed the company, Prestige Film Technologies, which is the film manufacturer and they were very responsive and set me up with my preferred installer. You can contact Viet Tran, Director of Sales, directly at (925) 989-9473 or [email protected] .

Viet is who I have attempted to contact a number of times. Initially he responded with great interest, but it's been weeks now and nothing...

From my query with Premiere, Photosynch is a very expensive product and prestige is an "exclusive" tint so it's limited. Hopefully they find you someone.

From my query with Premiere, Photosynch is a very expensive product and prestige is an "exclusive" tint so it's limited. Hopefully they find you someone.

Perhaps a happy coincidence, or perhaps Viet reads TMC (Hi Viet!) but I am now one step closer to a Photosynch install in Philly. I'm planning on 75 all around, nothing on the pano or windshield (My only option to stay within PA legal limits). So this will be a test of just how good Photosynch is at the very lightest install options.

Perhaps a happy coincidence, or perhaps Viet reads TMC (Hi Viet!) but I am now one step closer to a Photosynch install in Philly. I'm planning on 75 all around, nothing on the pano or windshield (My only option to stay within PA legal limits). So this will be a test of just how good Photosynch is at the very lightest install options.

Excited to hear your results! I, too, am waiting on contact back from Viet for the Las Vegas / Henderson area tint.

Last edited:

Let me know who you end up using. My old college roommate is getting his P85 in less than a month. I told him to get only Photosnc and to not settle w/ anything less.

Just had photosync done by extreme autowerks in cerritos. 35% all around, 75% up front, and 50% on the pano roof. Reduce the car temperature by a good 10-15 degrees. Will post pix and review soon

I'm doing something similar, only difference is I am doing 75% on the roof as well as up front. Why are you going darker on the roof? I live in Vegas, so I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Here's Formula One Pinnacle - 35 on the windows, 15 on the back - with Formula One Air 80 on the windshield, both installed by The Tint Pros in Huntington Beach. I decided to go with Pinnacle instead of PhotoSync for color (more charcoal-y to go with the black paint) since I'm more concerned with the look than with heat rejection. I was also a little concerned about PhotoSync being a new type of product with extremely limited availability; it just doesn't seem like there's been much opportunity for real-world testing/experiences with it yet. I wanted to go with something more established (yes, for no good reason/with no evidence otherwise).

WifcTU8.jpg

X5Ft9HQ.jpg

QzlW82s.jpg

Just had photosync done by extreme autowerks in cerritos. 35% all around, 75% up front, and 50% on the pano roof. Reduce the car temperature by a good 10-15 degrees. Will post pix and review soon

I am in the car 2-4 hours a day driving. Even the 50% on the pano roof I still feel some radiant heat over my head. Also I rarely look out my pano roof so I didn't care if it let less light in. Maybe its all in my head, but I think after tinting the pano roof i feel more radiant heat than before maybe because rest of the car is darker and cooler. not sure. I would done it at 35% second time around to block even more heat.