Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Test Mule?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably the case. I remember seeing a similar button on the beta vehicle Vin #14 when i sat in it at the Dania beach store (it was in the center console area, on the floor on that car)

Those buttons are standard fare in prototype vehicles; you see them all the time in various spy photos of development mules.

It looks like what is attached to each wheel is a wheel torque sensor.

^ This.

Here's a standard pic:
axial-thrust-torque-sensors-17100-2479773.jpg

Typically used for measuring axial thrust. There's many boring reasons for ongoing testing but it could also be gathering info for the Model S Super Sport (which doesn't necessarily need to be AWD).

- - - Updated - - -

The box is probably a battery to power that motor independently so as to not have to deal with traction battery peak current usage while exploring the limits of four wheel two motor traction events on dry tarmac.

Sorry Bill, definitely not a battery pack. First, you'd see some serious cabling if that was a battery back but the giveaway is that there are no coolant hoses.

Things this could be:

1. Testing the adaptive cruise control
2. Testing auto-braking
3. Testing different/uprated brakes

Both of those tests would need to see how the car handles with maximum weight up top, and I bet there were additional weights inside the car.
For the first two tests, there would need to be a front facing sensor probably in the nosecone. Any pics of that?

And yes, the big red kill switch is industry standard for doing most public road testing.
My bet goes to #3 brake testing.

Things this could be:

2. Testing auto-braking

Both of those tests would need to see how the car handles with maximum weight up top, and I bet there were additional weights inside the car.
For the first two tests, there would need to be a front facing sensor probably in the nosecone. Any pics of that?

And yes, the big red kill switch is industry standard for doing most public road testing.
We already have giant, oversized (compared to competitors) brakes. If it's brake testing, it's probably to see if they can switch to a different vendor or make them in-house rather than using those huge expensive Brembos. Seems like brake testing would be easily accomplished on their track, though. That's where most brake testing occurs.

Based on the pictures and insights of others here, it seems more likely to be a Model X testbed. There's torque sensors on all the wheels (AWD), there's what appears to be ballast on the roof (no proof of wires, so probably not a battery pack) and in the back seat to simulate the higher COG and weight, and it appears to be riding higher than the regular S (which the X will). It all lines up, IMO.

All rather clever. Take off the roof weight box and this Tesla S can do S AWD dynamics testing, as well.
The large box in the back seat is likely to be a multi channel data recorder.
This vehicle seems to be very similar to a 2013 picture of a lime green Model S that had similar ride height. It was said to be a prototype and I seem to recall that many executives were standing around it.

Things this could be:

2. Testing auto-braking

Interesting you say that about the weights inside the car. As I said, it looked like there was a tank in the backseat (it was a bulbous plastic tank, not a box). It could have simply been filled with water as a cheap and easy way to add weight. It had indentations in it that looked like they were purposely made for the seatbelts to strap it in. The two guys driving it were checking that the belts were tight against the tank before they set off.

As for the nosecone, I remember looking at the nose of the car and not seeing anything that stood out as abnormal.

- - - Updated - - -

4. Testing forum reaction

Potentially, but it seems like a lot of work just for a joke. :)

Take off the roof weight box...

...there's what appears to be ballast on the roof...

...see how the car handles with maximum weight up top...

The car is fitted with the new Whisperbars; the maximum weight load is 165lbs (75kg) total. If that's supposed to be ballast up there, there isn't very much of it.

I'm suspecting that this thread is actually over-cooking things.

The car is fitted with the new Whisperbars; the maximum weight load is 165lbs (75kg) total. If that's supposed to be ballast up there, there isn't very much of it.

I'm suspecting that this thread is actually over-cooking things.

Even 165lbs *above* the roof of a car is huge. That would significantly alter the COG. I also wouldn't be terribly surprised if they were willing to risk damaging a bar/car exterior if that wasn't enough.

Good catch, though. Interesting.

Another reason I think the brake testing could be going on here, is the recent "brakes are sticking" complaints. They might be testing a new compound for that reason. I'm sure the same mule was used for testing the new, heavier rotors in response to brake squeal.

Another reason I think the brake testing could be going on here, is the recent "brakes are sticking" complaints. They might be testing a new compound for that reason. I'm sure the same mule was used for testing the new, heavier rotors in response to brake squeal.
I might have agreed, if there hadn't been an emergency stop switch. What exactly would the switch do if they're testing the brakes?

My guess is that the switch can disable the FWD-unit.

Sorry Bill, definitely not a battery pack. First, you'd see some serious cabling if that was a battery back but the giveaway is that there are no coolant hoses.

It's so sad when Nigel totally misses the big picture, as follows:

No-coolant breakthrough! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inductive batteries! AWESOME!!!!!!!!! To Infinity & Beyond!!!!!!

***I'll be TMInc. hates this forum and all the Teslageeksnoops...... :)

Hmm... I'm liking the AWD explanation given the full sets of sensors on all four wheels.

No one has commented on what appears to be two sets of sensors (one a dash cam?) on the windshield, and I'm thinking the roof package must be more than the weight folks have mentioned given that it has four sets of wires running to it - one up each fender and one down each C pillar and in the rear doors.

Unless it's the same wires, and after running the wires from the front wheels into the Frunk area, they ran them up the windshield and over the top of the car to come in the rear windows?
Walter

Unless it's the same wires, and after running the wires from the front wheels into the Frunk area, they ran them up the windshield and over the top of the car to come in the rear windows?
Walter
That's exactly what it is. You can follow the wire from the front wheel sensors, up inside the roof rack mounts over the sunroof, out the back where it meets the wires from the rear wheel sensors, and the into the rear window.

At least part of the equipment is Mobile Eye's camera (lane departure, adaptive cruise control, etc.). Tesla is placing at least one Mobile Eye camera in the review mirror. The first picture is consistent with that.