Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Stolen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 Model S was stolen from my drive 2 days ago. The thieves have turned off my ability to contact the car via the App. If it is plugged in to a Supercharger at any point does anyone know whether that info would be sent to the app directly ? Also I assume Tesla would be able to prevent a stolen car from charging, and not unlatch the cable.
I'm asking in the forum as I can't find anyway to contact Tesla directly. Thanks.

My 2017 Model S was stolen from my drive 2 days ago. The thieves have turned off my ability to contact the car via the App. If it is plugged in to a Supercharger at any point does anyone know whether that info would be sent to the app directly ? Also I assume Tesla would be able to prevent a stolen car from charging, and not unlatch the cable.
I'm asking in the forum as I can't find anyway to contact Tesla directly. Thanks.
Sorry this is happening to you, truly sucks! Try contacting your local Tesla center and see if they can be of help.

Out of curiosity, how were they able to drive off in your vehicle? Even if you didn't have Pin-to-drive on, how were they able drive off (unless they had your key card of course)?

Upvote 0
You can't contact any local Tesla centre. Don't know if that's the case in the States.

This is one of those things - like recovery - where you almost need to stress test a scenario rather than leave it up to the point where you actually need to do it in anger. There really needs to be a direct response for this sort of thing, when time is of the essence.

Hope you get the car back @MatthewC

Reactions: pow216
Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, how were they able to drive off in your vehicle? Even if you didn't have Pin-to-drive on, how were they able drive off (unless they had your key card of course)?

Upvote 0
The car might be inside a container to get shipped oversea.
Or the car is in a shop and the battery is disconnected to be removed.

Anway, remove the credit card used for Supercharging payment from your Tesla account.
Thanks - that's a smart suggestion - have done. Ironically the car has lifetime free Supercharging - though I still had to add a payment method in case of any idle charges.

Upvote 0
My 2017 Model S was stolen from my drive 2 days ago

Very sorry to hear that

If it is plugged in to a Supercharger at any point does anyone know whether that info would be sent to the app directly

I would think the route is to tell Tesla it is stolen, and then if they can track it they will - presumably thieves have already disconnected GPS, and are unlikely to attempt to Supercharge it ... if they sell it "whole" then new owner will have that experience. For organised crime I would, sadly, expect it to be broken up for parts

Upvote 0
aaaand - Post #18 in the same Thread:
How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts :)

video there in russian but is shows, from 1:20, how easy it is, if you know what to do.

Upvote 0
Sorry this is happening to you, truly sucks! Try contacting your local Tesla center and see if they can be of help.

Model S/X's that are available in the UK don't use key cards, they use traditional key fobs. So are not as secure as 3/Y in that respect.

I hope whoever stole your car get's caught.

Upvote 0
in the video the PIN to drive was disabled. i got no sound on my PC, incase he mentions it in english, but if the PIN was active, he wouldnt be able to drive it away. is this the correct assumption?
Well, yes, there is override which was used after reboot of MCU etc.

at 5:00 - they cut power supply.
at 5:15 - reboot of whole MCU / main control unit
at 5:20 - MCU boots up in safe mode and then you can drive without key

Reactions: KB2022
Upvote 0