Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool. I would hope it's at least an option or included on the Signature edition. My current car is 10 years old and that's one of the nice features the newer case have that I wanted (not really necessary of course though). Even the Hyundai Genesis has it I believe so a 60-80 thousand car should. Thanks.

That's actually a pretty damning video. And I wonder if that would meet federal regulations.

Of course, I don't like the idea of a big touch screen in the dash either. Unless they pull off some sort of tactile feedback, a la the vibrating friction thing I read about recently.

Hmm.. Could you elaborate on your idea because keyless entry does not actually relate to the door handles. It is simply the manner in which the doors are unlocked and the Model S already has keyless entry. :smile:

So I'm saying you walk up to the S with the keyfob in your pocket. As you approach you can touch the handle and the door pops open. a double touch would pop the handle out, unlocked and ready for mechanical use.

Just an idea....

I suppose a fob key button could pop open the door(s) like it does the trunk as well.

Interesting.

Thing is.. say you just want to open one of the back doors... or just the passenger door to get something out of the globe compartment. It would mean either a button for each door, or an array of specific clicks to open specific doors.

I kind of like the idea of pressing UNLOCK once to extend the driver's door handle. and pressing UNLOCK twice to extend all door handles. This way the user can decide which doors need to actually be opened each time.

Interesting.

Thing is.. say you just want to open one of the back doors... or just the passenger door to get something out of the globe compartment. It would mean either a button for each door, or an array of specific clicks to open specific doors.

I kind of like the idea of pressing UNLOCK once to extend the driver's door handle. and pressing UNLOCK twice to extend all door handles. This way the user can decide which doors need to actually be opened each time.

I guess a lot of folks haven't had the opportunity to use a smart key system like I have on my Prius...but the bottom line is this...I don't ever want to have to push any buttons to get in my car.

I want to walk up and the handle extends and then the car unlocks when I touch the handle. I should be able to program the car so that it extends just the driver's handle when I approach or it could extend all the handles when I approach. I don't want to take anything out of my pocket when I get in and I don't want to do anything more than touch the handle or a button on the door to lock it when I leave.

I guess a lot of folks haven't had the opportunity to use a smart key system like I have on my Prius...but the bottom line is this...I don't ever want to have to push any buttons to get in my car.

I want to walk up and the handle extends and then the car unlocks when I touch the handle. I should be able to program the car so that it extends just the driver's handle when I approach or it could extend all the handles when I approach. I don't want to take anything out of my pocket when I get in and I don't want to do anything more than touch the handle or a button on the door to lock it when I leave.

You know, I do agree!

I have a couple of good friends who drive a Prius and a few Lexus's and Toyota's in the family and they all have this touch pad on all the doors that is active when the smart key is near the vehicle. This is also what allows for the push-button-start to become active.

So I do much prefer the idea of having the handles extend when the user approaches the vehicle.

However, while I like the "touch to unlock" idea, I'm not too keen on the thought that even the passenger handles can be unlocked by touching.

If some crazy person wanted to, say, come along for a ride, all they would have to do is touch the handle on any passenger door and they would gain entry to the car while you are sitting in it, unsuspecting, getting ready to start the motor.

This system would need some sort of programing that takes into account "selective unlocking" to ensure that if the driver only wants to open their door, then that is the only door that can be opened and unlocked. And if the driver wants to unlock their door and all the others, then that can be achieved as well.

I know a lot of drivers who appreciate selective unlocking.

And yes. I am one of the paranoid many who lock the car doors as soon as I get in. :biggrin:

You know, I do agree!

I have a couple of good friends who drive a Prius and a few Lexus's and Toyota's in the family and they all have this touch pad on all the doors that is active when the smart key is near the vehicle. This is also what allows for the push-button-start to become active.

So I do much prefer the idea of having the handles extend when the user approaches the vehicle.

However, while I like the "touch to unlock" idea, I'm not too keen on the thought that even the passenger handles can be unlocked by touching.

If some crazy person wanted to, say, come along for a ride, all they would have to do is touch the handle on any passenger door and they would gain entry to the car while you are sitting in it, unsuspecting, getting ready to start the motor.

This system would need some sort of programing that takes into account "selective unlocking" to ensure that if the driver only wants to open their door, then that is the only door that can be opened and unlocked. And if the driver wants to unlock their door and all the others, then that can be achieved as well.

I know a lot of drivers who appreciate selective unlocking.

And yes. I am one of the paranoid many who lock the car doors as soon as I get in. :biggrin:

A more careful reading of my post would address your paranoid concerns. It would be user programable so that only the driver's door would extend if you wish. Where I live and work I have no concerns about such crazy people and more often than not my family is with me and needs access, so I'd program the car to extend all handles and unlock all doors when I touch my handle.

A more careful reading of my post would address your paranoid concerns. It would be user programable so that only the driver's door would extend if you wish. Where I live and work I have no concerns about such crazy people and more often than not my family is with me and needs access, so I'd program the car to extend all handles and unlock all doors when I touch my handle.

Understood.

When do you think we can expect to at least find out final price for the Signature series and maybe further down the road what options might be available? It'd be nice if they could give out a timeframe (not a specific date since they'd miss that deadline) but something vague like "we hope to have option finalized by summer 2010" or something like that.

Wow, 95 kwh.

The Roadster's battery pack is roughly half, and weighs nearly one thousand pounds. To make a feasible 95 kwh battery pack for the Model S seems to require almost exponential improvements.

If Tesla pulls it off though, it wouldn't just be badass - they'd set a whole standard for the EV industry.