Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, you have to use special adapters to put the Roadster on a lift. Those lift points are only for jacks. The other side of the car has to be on the ground if you're going to use them. Also you only need to use the rear one - both wheels come off the ground anyway.
Given the size and weight of the Model S, I'm guessing that the jack-points are essentially the same as on any large sedan. Not, of course, that the Model S even comes with a jack.

I trust my floor jack way more than I would any manufacturer provided "widow maker" jack and even then I am very very careful. They're often cheaply made from a few bucks of steel and have a small footprint meaning a shift in the forces on it can tip it over. Guess what happens when you lift a car -- the car tilts and the angles of the forces on the jack change with it.

I have attended autocrosses and changed tires at them frequently. I have had a couple of flats -- mostly because as a new driver I didn't have a lot of money to replace tires when I should have. More recently (2 years ago I think) I had one on my VW Jetta -- a bolt punctured the tire... it was around 1/4" wide. No chance of patching. VWs come with full-sized spares which I was very grateful for. That in addition to the floor jack I keep in my car and I had the tire changed in less than 5 minutes (I timed it for curiosity and I didn't rush through it -- checked spare pressure before and after). If I didn't have the floor jack or a full sized spare my day would have been much more complicated (donut spares are not rated for highway driving and can blow-out due to heat if you do -- not to mention the weird way your car will track and pull riding on one).

I've had a car slip off of a jack before, and it was very scary. Even if Tesla provides a jack, I'll be trusting my own. I'll be keeping a full sized spare and a floor jack in my frunk if they fit. The jack at the least if the full spare doesn't.

I've had a car slip off of a jack before, and it was very scary. Even if Tesla provides a jack, I'll be trusting my own. I'll be keeping a full sized spare and a floor jack in my frunk if they fit. The jack at the least if the full spare doesn't.

I've had a car slip off a jack before also. My friend was changing his girlfriends rear on her Jeep liberty. He came into our apartment and asked me if it looked right. He was jacking it at the wrong spot, and while I was showing him the jack point it just dropped. He had it jacked up about 12+". It was really scary.

I am hoping to get a full sized spare and jack in the frunk also. I do work as an engineer and most of the stuff I do is factory process work. And the size of projects I do basically means the plant is a construction site. I have had 3 flats in 8 years of driving. Granted all of them were slow leaks where I could bicycle pump them up and drive on them but it isn't worth it. The only problem is having to find a cheap wheel.

Not anymore than a person in the passenger seat would. I would imagine that Tire, Jack, and lug wrench weigh about 90lbs (50 wheel, 35 jack, 5 lug wrench). A person in the passenger seat is going to be more.

EDIT: I can't add. Fixed it.

A person in the passenger seat isn't in the nose of the vehicle though, I just meant it might offset the balance and thus impact handling (fair enough on the other impacts)