Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Specifications, Teases and Leaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think of it more this way than what you mention. Just a different symantic of the same idea. I view it as they are reserving the first 1200 (or so) cars for Roadster Owners. Some may take the offer right away others may wait until they have driven the Roadster for a while as a "test" others may opt out because they do not need that type of car or whatever. I don't view it as jumping the line so to speak. Any non-Roadster owner that orders on Day 1 at slot 1 would actually get the number of 1201. and so on ..... But that number might be reduced later as the cracks do not get filled in. So ... Say I deposited right away and since I am not a Roadster Owner I get slot #1201. Later only say 600 of the Roadster Owners opted to get a Model S so my number drops to 601 and I get it sooner. Roadster Owners like you who want the bugs worked out first would have had the option to get a lower number but choose to wait for the bugs to get worked out and thus end up with a higher number than me. Make more sense that way ?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:
With regard to Roadster owners getting first dibs at Model S, I would just say they've earned the entitlement.

The number of Model S produced in a year will also have to get factored into the equation. If TM achieves a 10-20k annual production rate the reservation number issue may not be as significant.

I completely agree. I think that the Roadster owners ARE entitled to some special treatment for their support. I think that reserving maybe 10% of the first MY is in fact a small token that SHOULD be offered and in the grand scheme of things will never be noticed by John Q. Public. I am not a Roadster owner and probably never will be but I look forward to being a Model S owner and I have no problem letting previous supporters go first. It is just the fair thing to do ....

Given the news that the $92K Roadsters reportedly cost $140K to build, perhaps those first Roadster customers should pay extra for the Model S to help Tesla recoup.
(Just kidding...)

We do know that VIPs and Roadster customers will be able to see the Model S on the 5th of March 2009. Anyone know when we mere mortals will be able to see it ? I suppose right after 5th of March unless Tesla want to run an ironclad control of cameras, but is there any official date for the public reveal yet ?

Cobos

We do know that VIPs and Roadster customers will be able to see the Model S on the 5th of March 2009. Anyone know when we mere mortals will be able to see it ? I suppose right after 5th of March unless Tesla want to run an ironclad control of cameras, but is there any official date for the public reveal yet ?

I am sure the media will pick up the Model S story on March 5th, but the official reveal will be at the Geneva Auto Show. Since that also starts on March 5th, my guess is that the reveal in Southern California and the reveal "in Geneva" will be one and the same. It will be widely publicized.

Since there is only 1 prototype (that we know of) we will probably have to settle for pictures for a while.

I agree that is disappointing. I hope the "it won't be ready" is mistaken.

My hazy memory of a time line:
Dec '07: it is almost done and will be revealed in Spring '08

June '08: Car is done, and they just need their new designer to tweak the exterior design details and that it will be revealed in Fall '08

Aug '08: It will be revealed by the end of the year. Press get sneak peak renderings.

Oct '08: It will be revealed in Geneva, March '09

Dec '08: Teaser pictures showing a prototype license plate. Feb '09 special event for Roadster owners

Jan: March '09 event to coincide with Geneva.

They have been saying the car is done or all but done for a really long time to decide it isn't really done 3 weeks before they show it off. Hopefully it is really done, and they have decided to postpone the unveiling for some other business reasons.

It would make sense to hold off on the unveiling until they have funding/a place to manufacture it I suppose.

My hazy memory of a time line...

Yes, the dates are very hazy as the sedan was supposed to go intro production in 2009, then 2010, then 2011 and now "on track" for 2012 "as planned".

2009:

Tesla WhiteStar Hybrid and Electric Sedan Expected in 2009 ~ Hybrid Car Review

Sustainable Industries | Breaking News | Tesla unveils electric sedan
Tesla is building an assembly plant in Albuquerque, N.M., which is slotted for completion by the end of 2008. The company says it plans to build 10,000 WhiteStar sedans annually starting in 2009.
Tesla Whitestar to be offered as both an EV and a REV - Autoblog
They have announced that the Whitestar Sedan, in development for release sometime around the end of 2009
Tesla to Build WhiteStar Electric Sedan in New Mexico | Autopia from Wired.com
...with the first WhiteStars rolling off the assembly line in fall of 2009.
---

...Model S is a sedan that is expected to cost about $60,000 and will go into production by late 2010...
Tesla is still on track to begin production of the Model S in 2011
...Tesla is still on track to begin production of the Model S in 2011
Tesla currently plans to have the Model S, a less expensive, four-door sedan intended to compliment the Tesla Roadster, on the road for 2011.
...Model S is still on track for production in 2012.

Last edited: