Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Hees post#18 that does detail the firmware upgrade (as was described to me at the SC EVent) is not "official" just some random user post from someone who got ahold of the info?

That was from an e-mail Tesla sent out an e-mail on Sept. 20th with the details of the update. The e-mail does say for version 1.9.11 though and we're up to 1.9.17.

After agreeing to the update (if you don't want to wait until the evening when the update defaults to) it has a one min countdown then everything turns blank for awhile. I didn't watch it after a min or two but it was done in over an hour.
_85C3284.jpg

Last edited:
Creep is here!

Forum | Tesla Motors

gimp_dad says:
"Just got SW release 1.13.16 tonight. It now has a "Creep" option in the driving control panel. I would characterize the creep mode as mild but it now keeps the car from rolling backward in my driveway when in drive without foot on the brake or accelerator pedals. On level ground it creeps very slowly if you don't put your foot on the accelerator.

Personally I didn't have any problem with the old way but I know there are many who prefer creep mode so I wanted to let everyone know about the update.

I didn't check everything yet, but I also noticed a few other changes:
- there are now driver modes that save your mirror, seat, etc. settings (you even get to name the driver) (is this one old and I just missed it previously?)
- the sound system has improved even more with better XM reception, finer grain volume control and fuller sound
- there is a tantalizing switch in the control panel to enable remote access by the mobile app (can't wait to actually get the app for my android phone)

That's all I have noticed so far. Will add anything else I discover tomorrow."

Last edited:
I actually grew to like the creep on the Roadster but also like it without creep on the Model S. If they made it very weak (the creep) on the Model S, that might be a good compromise.

Don't have the new update yet. Memory seats is nice as I was wondering how that worked.

Finer adjustment of volume was something I and others asked for so great they listened.

Details of the update in new e-mail from Tesla:

A new software update will be available in the coming days. The onboard notification will guide you through the installation. If you would like to review the process, instructions are available at the end of this email.

After installation, Model S will feature Driver Profiles, new settings for Creep and Mobile App Access, and functional improvements to the interface for door locks, maps, and audio volume.

Driver Profiles (New Feature)
The Driver Profiles feature remembers and restores positions for the driver's seat, side view mirror, and steering wheel. It also tracks the preferences listed below.

DRIVING
Steering Mode
Regenerative Braking
Mirror Auto-Tilt
Instrument Panel Layout LIGHTS & LOCKS
Daytime Running Lights
Fog Lights
Headlights After Exit
Drive-Away Door Lock
Walk-Away Door Lock FORMAT & UNITS
Time Format
Temperature Units
Charging Units
Range Display MAPS
Map Magnification
Show Traffic
Add New Driver

A new icon, located to the left of the Tesla "T" in the Touchscreen status bar, indicates the active Driver Profile. When you've named and saved a driver profile, that name will appear next to the icon.

When you first make adjustments to either your steering wheel position or driver's seat, Model S will prompt you via the Touchscreen to create a new profile. Tap the drop-down menu to open the Driver Profile window.

Tap "Add New Driver", enter a name, and tap "Create Profile". Adjust seat, mirror, and steering wheel position as needed. Tap SAVE to save the adjustments you have made.

Alternatively, you can create a profile by going to Controls > Settings > Driver Profiles.

Once a profile has been created, each time you make an adjustment to the steering wheel position or driver's seat, a drop-down menu will prompt you to save the new position or restore the previously saved position. In contrast, changes made to any of the other driver preferences listed above will be saved automatically.

If you lend your car to a friend, make sure they don't tap the SAVE button when they adjust the seat or steering wheel. Note that any changes they make to the driver preferences (listed above) will be saved.

The drop-down will disappear after 5 seconds of inactivity. While adjusting the driver's side mirror does not trigger the drop-down, tapping the Driver Profile icon > SAVE will save the current driver's seat / steering wheel / mirror positions. Alternatively, you can tap RESTORE to go back to the last saved position.

Switch Between Saved Profiles
Model S will save up to 10 Driver Profiles and each will be available regardless of the key used to unlock and drive the vehicle.
To switch profiles, tap the Driver Profile icon in the status bar and select among the list of saved profiles.

Once a profile has been selected, all the settings associated with that profile will be applied. The seat, mirror, and steering column will move to the saved positions. If you adjust your seat or steering wheel while Model S changes from one profile to the next, the sequence will stop.

If you have selected a profile in error, you can tap STOP to end the transition, then select the intended profile.

Creep (New Setting)
When this setting is enabled, Model S will slowly move forward while in Drive or backward while in Reverse when the brake pedal is released, the same way a car with an automatic transmission does. You will find this setting in Controls > Driving. Note that the Creep setting can be adjusted only when the car is in Park.

Traffic Button in Maps (Functional Improvement)
A Traffic button is now available in the Maps app to make it easier to turn on/off traffic display.

Volume Modulation (Functional Improvement)
We've added more resolution to the volume control to give the driver greater command over audio levels.

Lock/Unlock Buttons (Functional Improvement)
The lock and unlock buttons have been separated to provide easier access to the function.

Mobile App Remote Access (New Setting)
This setting prepares Model S for communication with forthcoming mobile applications that will enable you to remotely check status and control some functions of your Model S. No apps are available yet. You will find this setting in Controls > Settings > Vehicle.

Software Updates
Model S updates its software wirelessly, providing new functionality throughout your term of ownership. The process to install these enhancements is outlined below.

Onboard Notification
The first time you enter your Model S after an update is made available, you will be shown a scheduling dialogue box. You can install immediately, confirm the suggested time, or schedule an alternate time. Once scheduled, the icon will change color from yellow (unscheduled) to white (scheduled). At any point before installation begins, you can re-schedule the installation.

IMPORTANT: Model S must be in Park and not driving when new software is being installed. A software update can take up to 2 hours to complete so be sure to select a time when the car can sit idle for this period.

If your car is charging when the update is scheduled, charging will temporarily stop and restart after the software is installed. If you are driving when the installation is scheduled, the installation will be cancelled.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a mega update! Love it!

Btw, does creep happen when in Reverse too?! It's valuable in congested parking lots with pedestrians around.

Yep. From above e-mail:
Creep (New Setting)
When this setting is enabled, Model S will slowly move forward while in Drive or backward while in Reverse when the brake pedal is released, the same way a car with an automatic transmission does. You will find this setting in Controls > Driving. Note that the Creep setting can be adjusted only when the car is in Park.

Wow! Mirror and steering wheel memory? Really! Does it adjust when you get in and out now?

Great stuff! But, no mating to key fob (heck, there are 10 profiles and only 2 fobs) so, no, you'd have to pick a profile after you get in (if you can get in :) particularly if the previous driver was very short or something like that). Adjusting ahead of time is something for the mobile app in the future, I guess.

Man, this is exactly what this high-tech car promised and is now delivering on! Wonder what the interplay of some of these features with options is (not a problem with Sigs, I guess) - will some of the bits in the Driver Profiles, specifically seat memory, be available with Textile seats?

This is spectacular. It's going to be so exciting to download updates to the car.

GG: No mating to the fob now, but that could come in a future update.

Dave (dsm363): How is the volume adjustment implemented? Is it still 1-11 but in smaller increments? How do you like it?

No, it adjusts when you select the profile from the screen.
Up to 10 profiles can be stored.
I plan to set one up for 'guest' so any test drivers don't mess with our settings:)

Maybe for for 'Whoever stole my car' too might be a good idea. If they're considerate, they'll use that then you don't have to rearrange your seats and mirrors when you get your car back.:smile:

That's a great idea though. I'm going to add guest too.

- - - Updated - - -

Dave (dsm363): How is the volume adjustment implemented? Is it still 1-11 but in smaller increments? How do you like it?

I haven't received the update yet but hopefully tonight. I got the last update a few nights after the first reported update. Sounds like they just march down the VINs in order with the updates at a slow pace.