Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am also interested in recs for 20" replacement tires. Clearly these won't last long between a few track sessions and a few months of driving. Thank God they got installed in the middle of the summer when there's no rain in sight. Seems like there are some decent options on tire rack in the same sizes.

Has anyone that needed the revised knuckles (earlier builds) actually gotten a track package installed? My SC has been telling me for 2+ months (with 5 reschedules) that they "don't have parts". But there's no further explanation or any idea when (if) they will ever get "parts". I have an original 06/21 build so I know it will need the new knuckles. But is that even what the hold up is? Or is my SC just completely incompetent or unwilling to get on the phone and track down my parts?
Yes - I got mine done last week. It was absolutely the reason for the holdup for my install. My CCB upgrade kit was delivered to the service center within a few weeks of my order (day 1 of availability). One set of knuckles came in a couple of weeks after that (don't recall front vs. rear), while the other set of knuckles didn't come in until two weeks ago at which point my SC got me in quickly to do the install. I was informed there was almost no availability of the parts - lots of people waiting for them. I guess Tesla underestimated how many early Plaid owners would bite on the upgrade.

I can almost guarantee that only a small percentage of Plaid owners dropped the money for this upgrade. Bottom line here is that they failed to put the supply chain piece in place before launching the kit and even with a relatively small number of installs, did not have the necessary parts on the shelf ready to go. Same for the steering wheel. Same for people with deposits down on models promised years ago who are still waiting. Mind boggling way to do business.

Track pack is back in stock for anyone who wants to pick it up. Time to grab it while it is available again if interested!
I’ve absolutely decided the ccbs are a want not need for me. I only drive a few miles a day. I do punch it daily but just short bursts and the stock steels work fine. I’ll consider getting the ccb kit though it Tesla does one of their flash sales if the stock craps out or sales go down.

I’ve absolutely decided the ccbs are a want not need for me. I only drive a few miles a day. I do punch it daily but just short bursts and the stock steels work fine. I’ll consider getting the ccb kit though it Tesla does one of their flash sales if the stock craps out or sales go down.
I find it odd that there are so many track packs out there right now and no one has thought of doing some quarter mile or 0-60 times? I mean they would sell a ton more of these track packs with some data. What I would like to see some Draggy or someone with a Vbox giving us some eta numbers. Brooks from dragtimes said he isn't buy a track pack. I mean for $20k it's a bit of a steal in my opinion. Mine is going in next week finally. I just want to see some data.

I think the main reason is for the brakes, while there is some weight reduction, and it is unsprung, it really isn't that much. While they are out of better material that are lighter, their increased size vs. the stock component offsets what would have been massive weight savings.

I think the net savings is around 3 pounds. That isn't going to move the needle much. I can save more than that by just replacing one rim.

I think the main reason is for the brakes, while there is some weight reduction, and it is unsprung, it really isn't that much. While they are out of better material that are lighter, their increased size vs. the stock component offsets what would have been massive weight savings.

I think the net savings is around 3 pounds. That isn't going to move the needle much. I can save more than that by just replacing one rim.
That's pretty much what I figured, I just want to make sure it's not slower. The Zero G wheels are heavier than the 19 inch tempest wheels, but the trade off in braking and the looks make it worth it. I just wish they made them a little smaller than 410mm so we can retain our tempest wheels and extra range on road trips. I really love the 19s for ride quality and road trips, it's nice to switch it up.

Reactions: bhzmark
Small update, Tesla is claiming they received another 5L of brake fluid and my car should be done tomorrow. They received replacement wheels for the 2 damaged zero g. I spoke with the service manager and he agreed to install my tires on the zero g wheels instead of the Goodyears. I’m not a fan of running the Goodyear super car 3R tires on the street for daily use considering they recommend not using them in the cold or rain, in MD we have both. As well as the estimated 20-25 heat cycles. I will either store or sell the track tires. I overnighted a set of pirelli tires from tire rack I have run before and loved to the service center. In theory they will be installed tomorrow and the car will be ready for pickup. Never would have guessed this would take a month.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: xEvoLveDx
Glad you might finally get your car back. The anticipation must be killing you. I think a good call on the tires. Let us know how the Pirellis work out once installed.

I am on the fence about what 20" tires to go with. I am leaning toward the Michelins that were on the car; PS4S. I have a square setup and can rotate them so I might get some decent wear.

Reactions: xEvoLveDx
I ended up getting a screw in my Goodyears after 2k miles and ended up getting the Michelin PS4S in the track pack size. Enjoying them so far.
I got pushed back another week, any side profile pics of your car with the Zero G wheels? I would love to see some more photos of them. I haven't seen many, the majority of these tracks packs all kept their arachnids. To me the Zero G wheels are a must, I assume Tesla did a ton of R&D on the wheels and tires before selling them. They look bespoke to Tesla, even though some UP designs are close there is a subtle design difference to the Tesla Zero G wheels that no other design out there seems to replicate exactly. Staying OEM is the way to go, warranty, software etc... Maybe they are not fully forged but they look insanely good on the few pics I have seen. The arachnids just hide the massive CCBS.

@mokushiroku - welcome to the forum.

Tesla also has Zero G wheels for the 3. I don't think they put too much thought into the Plaid wheels other than covering the bigger brakes and wider tires. I believe in this area you are given Tesla too much credit.

If you plan to just track the Zero-G wheels and tires, and have another street set, then they might be a good option. Given their short shelf life for street use, it is the reason many of us have opted not to go with them. Not to mention they don't save much weight.

There isn't much Tesla is going to warranty for a wheel. They can easily claim, and likely will, any issues were caused by impact. Getting them to do anything with the wear issues on the 21's has been impossible. Even people with bubbles on their tires Tesla claims (and possibly rightly so) that it was from an impact. So the whole OEM aspect, which I fully embrace regarding the brakes and warranty, doesn't benefit you much with the track pack wheels and tires. The downsides outweigh the very few possible positives.

I got pushed back another week, any side profile pics of your car with the Zero G wheels? I would love to see some more photos of them. I haven't seen many, the majority of these tracks packs all kept their arachnids. To me the Zero G wheels are a must, I assume Tesla did a ton of R&D on the wheels and tires before selling them. They look bespoke to Tesla, even though some UP designs are close there is a subtle design difference to the Tesla Zero G wheels that no other design out there seems to replicate exactly. Staying OEM is the way to go, warranty, software etc... Maybe they are not fully forged but they look insanely good on the few pics I have seen. The arachnids just hide the massive CCBS.
Had a set of aftermarket UP wheels but they didnt clear the rear calipers unfortunately without a spacer. But the Zero G wheel definitely grew on me.

Attachments

• IMG_8557.jpeg
    IMG_8557.jpeg
    738.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_8556.jpeg
    IMG_8556.jpeg
    863.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_8481.jpeg
    IMG_8481.jpeg
    624.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8555.jpeg
    IMG_8555.jpeg