Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True to form, Tesla pushed tomorrow’s track package install to July 24. The service message indicated “not all parts are in stock”. I would certainly rather use my car than have it sitting around at the Tesla dealership. Based on other comments here, I expected the date to be pushed so I am not too disappointed. Standby for updates closer to 24 July.

Joe

Reactions: bkcyk
True to form, Tesla pushed tomorrow’s track package install to July 24. The service message indicated “not all parts are in stock”. I would certainly rather use my car than have it sitting around at the Tesla dealership. Based on other comments here, I expected the date to be pushed so I am not too disappointed. Standby for updates closer to 24 July.

Joe
Have them double-check. First I was told they were all in. Then I was told no they are not all in after I got there. Then they did a VIN check, ran down the checklist again and since I didn't need the knuckles we are supposedly all good now. At least they are tearing the car apart now and thankfully got a loaner after fighting for a while.

Reactions: PR0FESSOR and bkcyk
I've run into a full-stop issue. They absolutely will not install the CCB kit unless you have either the 21" Arachnids or the Zero G wheels. That is it. If you don't have either of these wheels, they will not install the kit per Tesla's guidelines.

Anyone in Dallas have a set of Arachnids I can borrow for a day or 2? :)

Reactions: bkcyk
Scheduled week of 7/24 for the ceramic brake install with my Arachnids. We'll see how this service center does which is also my very first TSC visit ever with my very first ev/Tesla ever. 🤞

Last edited:
I've run into a full-stop issue. They absolutely will not install the CCB kit unless you have either the 21" Arachnids or the Zero G wheels. That is it. If you don't have either of these wheels, they will not install the kit per Tesla's guidelines.

Tesla is so inconsistent. They have installed on aftermarket wheels recently.

I can understand their reluctance though. The setback is very very close on the 21” wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_3616.jpeg
    IMG_3616.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 112
What center ? May the force be with you !
Alhambra - thanks! Decided against Centinela based on lot size. Alhambra looks cleanest in greater metro LA. Yelp reviews seem to suggest they have some decent service folks. Never boring this car enthusiast game.

Thanks for posting up pics of your new brakes. Helped close the deal along with this guy's footage.

Last edited:

If you have to, just get the zero G wheels if they can get them for you quickly — and then sell them. I imagine those might be in high demand by people who want them without the track brake components.

Also I wouldn’t worry to much about rotation — many OEMs now are saying NOT to rotate (BMW, Volvo) and there are good reasons not to — see other threads on this.

They are checking to see how long to get them as they don't have them in stock. I really don't want to buy something I am just going to turn around and sell. So I've posted a few places to see if someone will loan or rent me their Arachnids for a few days and trying to build a body of evidence if any other service center has done an install on other than factory wheels.

The main plus for having the ability to rotate the tires, even if I don't, is that the tire manufacturers don't cut their warranty in half. So if you get a treadwear warranty of 30k miles, they automatically cut it to 15k miles.

My Track pack installation was originally scheduled for tomorrow but was pushed to the 24th. Ironically enough. The S was towed to the dealer after having a DIF-a126 error And severe clicking from the rear end. 500 miles on it.

IMG_0755.jpeg

Car was started on yesterday as the last part needed finally arrived. Some small issues though my aftermarket 20s wont clear the rears but luckily im getting the tesla ones. Also i have the unplugged bbk for the fronts and i guess they reuse the large caliper bolts from the stock set up, so if you are on an aftermarket bbk with a different caliper you might need the bolts from the stock setup. Luckily i still had them on me

Reactions: PR0FESSOR
Car was started on yesterday as the last part needed finally arrived. Some small issues though my aftermarket 20s wont clear the rears but luckily im getting the tesla ones. Also i have the unplugged bbk for the fronts and i guess they reuse the large caliper bolts from the stock set up, so if you are on an aftermarket bbk with a different caliper you might need the bolts from the stock setup. Luckily i still had them on me
What brand 20's did you have on yours? What service center are you at in LA?

I dropped off car yesterday morning and they just told me they won’t touch the car because it has aftermarket parts: MPP rotors and rear control arms. They told me they put all the new parts in the trunk of the car “since I already paid for them”. I asked them how I could just cancel the whole thing and get my money back. They told me they can’t help me and I have to deal with Tesla.com ordering dept. I briefly considered having a third party shop install them but I likely wouldn’t get any track package updates or optimization including top speed unlock. So at this point going to get my money back even though it will probably be a battle.

There has been a lot of inconsistency between service centers which has caused a great deal of confusion. Some won’t install unless you have Tesla arachnids or the zero g wheels. Some have installed with customers 21” SV104s and HRE wheels.

Some won’t touch a car with after market parts. Others as in my case had no issue.

The roll out has been a headache of sorts.

My suggestion had always been to go to your SC and talk with the parts mgr to make sure all needed parts per your VIN are ordered. Builds 3/22 and earlier need the revised knuckles. Builds after have the correct knuckles. This will be verified on the VIN check which lists every revision of every part from the line build sheet for the day built. Wish I could get a copy of that report.

Talk to the service advisor for a plan of action and discuss any aftermarket items you have installed.

Ask to talk to the tech that will be doing the install to see if there are any other questions or issues.

Fortunately, I was able to talk to all three and even then it was a learning curve for all.

The hardware install is pretty straight forward. The bleeding sequence has to be done exactly to the instructions given. The ABS pressures need to be a min of 27lbs for a certain amount of time I was told. The ABS module overheats and they need to allow a couple hours for it to cool down before continuing the process. Only after the process has been successfully competed and the pressures met, Will toolbox allow the firmware upload and unlock.

It takes a TON of fluid and they ship a entire box of it with each kit.

Last edited:
I dropped off car yesterday morning and they just told me they won’t touch the car because it has aftermarket parts: MPP rotors and rear control arms. They told me they put all the new parts in the trunk of the car “since I already paid for them”. I asked them how I could just cancel the whole thing and get my money back. They told me they can’t help me and I have to deal with Tesla.com ordering dept. I briefly considered having a third party shop install them but I likely wouldn’t get any track package updates or optimization including top speed unlock. So at this point going to get my money back even though it will probably be a battle.
Did the box happen to include the installation bulletin and associated documentation?

Which SC is this ? is the issue because of non oem brakes only ?