Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance vs BMW M5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a great idea for a video to launch Model S in Europe, would be to have a Model S Performance time trial around the Nurburgring. Ben Collins, the previous stig, versus Sabine Schmit the Nurburgring Queen.
Split the screen and you could compare both drivers technique and see where each was faster.
I think this would go viral.
+1
Maybe make the prize for the winner be one of the of the test drive vehicles ... with the top speed limiter "curiously broken".

so, speaking of this... i have been daydreaming about the possibility of (bribing a tesla employee, who shall remain forever nameless, for) removing the top speed limiter. what do you think the car can actually do? the performance model of course... what would be the downsides to attempting this, say, on motor heat and wear, etc.? do you think the actual engine system firmware will be 'hackable' to achieve this aftermarket?

hmmm...

Not much faster than it currently does (maybe 1-2 mph). At the speeds the motor is running bearing heat will be a significant problem. The true solution is to change the gearbox ratio. You would lose some acceleration but you would get a lot of top speed. This ratio would obviously be different for each track, such that on an 'ideal' lap you would hit dropping torque at the top speed of the track.

If I recall my history correctly, the whole BMW M division was started in 1972 (meaning there is over 40 years of development history there vs. roughly 9 years for Tesla) and they were initially focused on developing racing cars for BMW. I've never driven a M5, but I would assume there are some compromises in terms of ride compliance, comfort and every day drivability in order for it to perform like it does. From what I've read and what people have commented on, the Model S does not have those compromises. It doesn't have to because of the power train it uses and the technology it employs. So all this to say is that if the Model S is even close to the M5 right now, it is a stunning achievement, but my opinion is that the Model S performance is a superior car to the M5 when you look at all the elements, not just performance. Just imagine in 5 years what the Model S will be like. It most likely will put all the arguments to rest in terms of comparisons to cars like the M5 or A7 or what ever else is the best of the best at that future date.

There are a few compromises for both. I don't think most reviewers will be forgiving of the comfort setting on the M5, and most reviewers will slam the Model S for steering input. I will revisit this topic after my test drive and tell you what my thoughts are.

Not much faster than it currently does (maybe 1-2 mph). At the speeds the motor is running bearing heat will be a significant problem. The true solution is to change the gearbox ratio. You would lose some acceleration but you would get a lot of top speed. This ratio would obviously be different for each track, such that on an 'ideal' lap you would hit dropping torque at the top speed of the track.

Aerodynamic drag increases with the square of speed. 10% more speed needs 20% more umph to get there. 41% more speed DOUBLES the power required.

Electric motor torque (umph) is proportional to the current being forced through it. When an electric motor spins, it creates an opposing voltage (back EMF) that has to be overcome so as to continue to force the current. At some RPM, the electric motor generates so much back-EMF that the power supply can't supply enough current at a high enough voltage to make ANY current flow through it, thereby becoming the top rotational speed theoretically possible. But please note, at the top rotational speed, there is vanishingly small torque available to push the car through the air.

So, there is some crossing of the drag power vs. speed curve and the motor's torque vs. speed curve that sets the maximum speed obtainable by the car. A different gear ratio can change the possible top wheel speed of the drive train (in a vacuum), but the lowering of the motor's torque to the wheels (to overcome drag) by the same ratio makes finding the right point a matter of mathematics.

As it turns out, the top speed is generally limited by the power output of the motor as long as the gear ratios are chosen optimally. One can always go slower by a non-optimal choice, but I don't think Tesla is dumb enough to chose a sub-optimal gear configuration. QED, the "speed limiter" is likely Mother Nature, herself.

As it turns out, the top speed is generally limited by the power output of the motor as long as the gear ratios are chosen optimally. One can always go slower by a non-optimal choice, but I don't think Tesla is dumb enough to chose a sub-optimal gear configuration. QED, the "speed limiter" is likely Mother Nature, herself.

An electric motor capable of 400hp can easily push a Model S past 130mph. It would probably be around the M5 top speed (due to significantly less drag) of around 180mph. 200 HP can push my GTI with roof rack 135 MPH (speed limiter) somewhat easily. Heck my 130hp Dodge Neon could go 110mph.

In general the way induction motors work is constant torque up to max HP. Then constant HP with falling torque. Finally an increasing falling off of both torque and HP.

If you change the gear ratio you keep the exact same motor curve. But your torque to the drive wheels is less, which means less acceleration. Your power goes up more slowly (with speed of vehicle) which allows you to have higher power later in the band which keeps your car moving.

The roadster sport hits peak power at 4400-6000 rpm (http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/specs). But doesn't hit peak speed until 14,000 rpm at 125 mph. This means it's peak power is around 50-55 mph. It drops as you go beyond that. If it had peak power at 120mph it could easily go beyond that speed.

The Model S is geared such that it maximizes acceleration over real world road speeds. Which means the lowest gear ratio while still achieving an acceptable top speed (120-130mph).

Tesla basically only has 2nd gear. You get great acceleration until your engine starts dropping power around the red line. It has nothing to do with peak power.

Both of these courses have straight stretches where the lack of top speed will make the Model S times look abysmal.

You hit the nail on the head on this one.

Short of only comparing the cars at tracks where the top speed will be below 100mph (Summit Point Jefferson circuit in WV comes to mind) this comparison of track prowess is pointless. I have raced cars and motorcycles for the better part of 12 years and top speed (track dependant, of course) has a huge impact. I race motorcycles and my GSX-R750 will repeatedly get destroyed by 1000cc bikes on topend. Depending on rider, I can hang in the corners but once we hit a straight the topend difference is the deal-breaker. My bike can only do 174mph and litre bikes can get up to 190+mph (and get there quicker).

If you really want a car that can, in the extreme, be driven by a suitably skilled driver with big enough balls to do The Ring in under 7mins 30s, and provide the odd 190mph blast once a day (like we all can), and want 1,000's of highly evolved mechanical moving parts that are, despite 100+ years of refinement, still only 20% efficient, and want to continue to waste what's left of the planets fossil fuel resources, and want to be fleeced senseless by ridiculous running costs, then do NOT buy the Model S. Go get that M5, its still a free world, no one is forcing you to accept either car !!

But if in the real world of spending 99.9% of your time below 100mph, you want an equally comfortable car, that’s near silent, with searing mid range acceleration to equal the M5, and sub 100mph handling that’s in a class of its own, and, crucially, can be charged from Sunlight / Wind etc, and has less than 1/10th of the running costs … then get a Model S.

After 3 Porsches, 4 Ferraris, 2 TVRs, 3 Lotus'es, 4 Group B rally cars, 2 Astons, 2 RS6's, 2 Quattro's, various track cars, 1 BMW (!) and dozens of hot hatch backs etc, and around 2,000+ miles in a BMW M5 V10 …. I just do not want any more ICE cars, no matter how brilliant they might be round the ring.

After 1 Tesla, I doubt I will ever buy another ICE car ever again. I just don’t see the point of them anymore.

Last edited:
An electric motor capable of 400hp can easily push a Model S past 130mph. It would probably be around the M5 top speed (due to significantly less drag) of around 180mph. 200 HP can push my GTI with roof rack 135 MPH (speed limiter) somewhat easily. Heck my 130hp Dodge Neon could go 110mph.

In general the way induction motors work is constant torque up to max HP. Then constant HP with falling torque. Finally an increasing falling off of both torque and HP.

If you change the gear ratio you keep the exact same motor curve. But your torque to the drive wheels is less, which means less acceleration. Your power goes up more slowly (with speed of vehicle) which allows you to have higher power later in the band which keeps your car moving.

The roadster sport hits peak power at 4400-6000 rpm (http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/specs). But doesn't hit peak speed until 14,000 rpm at 125 mph. This means it's peak power is around 50-55 mph. It drops as you go beyond that. If it had peak power at 120mph it could easily go beyond that speed.

The Model S is geared such that it maximizes acceleration over real world road speeds. Which means the lowest gear ratio while still achieving an acceptable top speed (120-130mph).

Tesla basically only has 2nd gear. You get great acceleration until your engine starts dropping power around the red line. It has nothing to do with peak power.

I think we agree on the physics, I just think that Tesla's "real world" gear choices are not very far off (if at all) from the best they could do to minimize Nordschleife times. The Model S does not, in fact, have its horsepower peak in the upper ranges of RPM the way ICE motors do; it's upside down and backwards. "Hot rodding" electric cars is a bit more complicated than it might seem and anti-intuitive if one's data points are all from the ICE motor world.

If you really want a car that can, in the extreme, be driven by a suitably skilled driver with big enough balls to do The Ring in under 7mins 30s, and provide the odd 190mph blast once a day (like we call can), and want 1,000's of highly evolved mechanical moving parts that are, despite 100+ years of refinement, still only 20% efficient, and want to continue to waste what's left of the planets fossil fuel resources, and want to be fleeced senseless by ridiculous running costs, then do NOT buy the Model S. Go get that M5, its still a free world, no one is forcing you to accept either car !!

But if in the real world of spending 99.9% of your time below 100mph, you want an equally comfortable car, that’s near silent, with searing mid range acceleration to equal the M5, and sub 100mph handling that’s in a class of its own, and, crucially, can be charged from Sunlight / Wind etc, and has less than 1/10th of the running costs … then get a Model S.

After 3 Porsches, 4 Ferraris, 2 TVRs, 3 Lotus'es, 4 Group B rally cars, 2 Astons, 2 RS6's, 2 Quattro's, various track cars, 1 BMW (!) and dozens of hot hatch backs etc, and around 2,000+ miles in a BMW M5 V10 …. I just do not want any more ICE cars, no matter how brilliant they might be round the ring.

After 1 Tesla, I doubt I will ever buy another ICE car ever again. I just don’t see the point of them anymore.

Well said! I've never owned a sports car before coming from minivan (hey, don't judge. Can't turn down a free car when you are 16) to a Volvo to a Jetta then the Roadster. Even then, I doubt I'll ever buy another ICE. Only case would be if I moved somewhere and had some massive commute with no ability to recharge. I doubt I'll ever want to live over 120 miles from work so that's not really an issue.

Having owned a few versions of the M5, I can say that it has evolved wonderfully over it's lifetime. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed each version (some purists despise the E60 variant over the E39 as blasphemous), but what really sets the previous and current model on another tier is it's top gear power. The car just has spunk for as long as you can push it. I know that the car can handle 180+ mph speeds and still have more power. The F10 (current model) fixes one of the biggest gripes about the M5 (low end torque) at the expense of the normally aspirated - high rev concept, but provides more useable acceleration in city driving. I can tell you that it is possible to get smoked by a mini cooper or similar at a stoplight just because the car could not gather enough torque quickly from a dead stop. The F10 would most definitely never have that happen. I wouldn't bet against an F10 M5 vs a Model S Performance if I were you.

The M5 is a quintessential performer on the track for sedans, and routinely beats its major competitors, regardless of their better 0-60 times (practically useless data IMHO).

Now, probably the biggest question for the Model S Performance is how it would perform at the Nürburgring Nordschleife. A lap time of less than 7:55 would best the current M5 and set the tone to discuss the power and handling. For now, too many unanswered questions re: steering and traction at the limit to be able to say with any confidence how it would perform against an M5 at the track.

I wouldn't bet a ton of money on the MSp vs M5. I fully agree that the M5 is an amazing machine which I lust after, my main point is that the M5 is an ICE vehicle which has fundamental performance limitations and advantages. Everyone focuses on 0-60 times, but that metric favors an ICE vehicle, because an ICE vehicle is like a continuously winding windup toy.

On launch you can wind it up and store all kinds of energy in the drive train then BOOM! But once the vehicle is moving, its much more difficult to keep it wound up. In fact, it's natural state is to be unwound, and once you unspool that spring you have all kinds of kinetic issues involved in winding it back up.

A small sports car can deal with this issue much better than a big performance sedan. It takes relatively little kinetic energy to spool up a 2 liter twin turbo using ultralight parts in its drive train. A big sedan uses a big engine to get similar acceleration numbers, but if you unspool it it takes dramatically more energy to spool it back up.

Model S doesn't really have those issues. It doesn't have to fight inertia in the internal components of its engine and doesn't need to wind up its drive train through a transmission. Torque response is primarily limited by how quickly you can depress the pedal. It is entirely possible that MSp isn't quite there yet in terms of overall dynamic performance, but based on what we do know there is reason to believe it wont embarrass itself.

This was just beautiful.

sniff!

^^ This!

Our Roadster 1.5 can suck the headlights out of any car with real license plates attached up to about 40 MPH. What a hoot! No practice required to slip, then dump, the clutch. No worries about bogging the ICE motor with poor selection of initial RPM. My CAT could repeatedly obtain perfectly launched acceleration runs.

However, if I'm driving in freeway traffic over 50 MPH, the competition is much stronger. Cars like 5.0 liter Mustangs are problematic. I don't even try to impress other drivers at 70 or above. The torque is falling off as RPMs rise (due to back-EMF effects of electric motors), and beating the wind out of my way consumes a whole bunch more of what is left. By 100 MPH, ICE performance cars can pass me like I'm tied to a stump.

It'll be interesting to see how the Model S's behavior differs (if at all) from the Roadster in performance vs. speed.

Since the Nordschleife has lots of high-speed straight bits, even Sabine Schmidt may have a hard time breaking much below 9 minutes there. BTW, she almost got a delivery van down to 10 minutes!

Model S apparently doesn't have the same heating issues above 70MPH that the Roadster had. I've seen numerous reviews stating that Model S is accelerating through 100 with authority. MotorTrend specifically compared it to a "big gasser" in that respect. We badly need instrumented tests for actual data, but I suspect that based simply on basic physics of transmissions vs direct drive that Model S can't match a modern gas vehicle in 100+MPH acceleration.

The M5 has 1/4 mile speed at 122mph with 12.0 seconds flat.

I think by most measurements the M5 has the crown for pure power. You may need some skill to put that power to the ground properly, but it has the numbers.

So if you want to beat the M5 on a track you need to have one that forces many corners and doesn't have enough straight road to let the M5 above 130mph. Then the expected better cornering from the S and the lack of skill required to speed up and slow down will put the S ahead for the track time.

But I think you still need to give the M5 its due -- it is definitely more powerful.

No doubt about it. But dynamic performance is more than that, and it will make a statement to be able to say that Model S is the fastest sedan in the world on a tight road course. Most of the "fun" that people can actually legally access is represented in that type of comparison.

so, speaking of this... i have been daydreaming about the possibility of (bribing a tesla employee, who shall remain forever nameless, for) removing the top speed limiter. what do you think the car can actually do? the performance model of course... what would be the downsides to attempting this, say, on motor heat and wear, etc.? do you think the actual engine system firmware will be 'hackable' to achieve this aftermarket?

hmmm...

It would be a bad idea for the engine. And performance would be terrible. Top end performance will require a transmission.