Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S (Performance edition) 1/4 mile time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been a follower of the M5 for the past 20 years (and owned 3 versions - E34, E39, and E60). The official 1/4 mile time for the E60 (last version) is 12.6 sec, and the latest 1/4 times for the TTM5 is 11.9 sec. @ 120 mph. There isn't really a comparison because with the previous model, the power band is immense at high speed, but the low end torque is rather paltry for a car of that magnitude. This was "fixed" with the twin turbo architecture, with incredible torque at low speed but with a sacrifice of some top end and potential heat sink problems. The benefits, though, are incredible 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times (3.7 sec). I'd bet that any person within a short time frame could consistently get 4.0 sec 0-60 launches in that car, but the $20K premium is what is really the issue between an M5 and the Model S. Add in a 17 mpg average, despite what the reviews say. I routinely see only about 14.5 mpg in mine in mixed driving.

Official Tesla Website posting of the 1/4 mile time for Model S performance: 12.6 seconds and 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds

The Standard Model S with the 85 kWh pack 1/4 mile in 13.7 seconds and 0-60 in 5.6 seconds.

Posted under the Model S options & pricing section at the Tesla motors website.

So what's everyone's guess as to the Model S Performance edition 1/4 mile time?

Let me be the first to toss a number out there.
Hmmmmm.....

13.7 seconds

Official Tesla Website posting of the 1/4 mile time for Model S performance: 12.6 seconds and 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds

The Standard Model S with the 85 kWh pack 1/4 mile in 13.7 seconds and 0-60 in 5.6 seconds.

Holy crap, OP was spot on with the time, just wrong model.

Kind of scary that it'll take months for the 40kWh & 60kWh versions to travel a 1/4 mile!

Screen shot 2012-06-22 at 2.42.36 PM.png

Performance model is about same as Roadster 1/4 mile, btw, so the motor must have more "legs" at higher rpms.