Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Owners With Kids!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We put our car seat in the middle, since we have only one child, but this makes the rear vents pretty much useless for anything except cooling off the back of the car seat. We got this thing and it works OK. It is a bit cumbersome.

Geez having that thing pointed at me would have scared the cr*p out of me as a kid.

Weirdly, with my 9-year-old (he was 8 when we ordered our Model S) the only thing I was concerned about was dents from car seats. So I made sure he could safely sit in the back seat of a Model S without a booster (he actually insisted on demonstrating this the first time we walked into a Tesla Store). We have the all-weather mats and the no-longer-sold rear-seat console (so he has a place to put a drink on the rare occasions he has one). Occasionally I need to wipe footprints off the back of the front seats. But the seats themselves are in pretty good shape (grey leather, 1.5-gen).

By contrast, the rear seats on my now-ex 2005 Prius looked pretty scuzzy by time I got rid of it. :)

Bruce.

And here's the longer reply to my above comment:

Let's see, 1+ years in, an almost 6 and almost 4 year old. Could my car be in better shape? Sure. But I'd rather let me kids enjoy it too. Some things that might bother you that kids cause to the car:
-The booster seat makes an indent on the sides of the back row, as it's obviously too wide. But I'd rather chose a safer [and wider in the case] booster seat, than one that would fit and be less safe
-The booster seat leaves an indent in the headrest
-Got rigid seat belt extenders to make life easier, very short ones do keep the geometry of the seat belt pretty much the same as if there was no extender.
-They touch the outside of the car with their whole palm for whatever reason, and they leave oily residue on the car, very visible on a freshly washed car
-I typically don't want them eating in the car, though I do allow it. It's not a "rule", but we stop on road trips often enough that there is no "need" to eat in the car. This leads to crumbs in places you can't imagine.
-RFS are a hit with their friends, they don't like them so much. But they (both my kids and their friends) like to put their feet up by the glass, and that leaves scuff marks on the trim under the glass.
-I'm 6'1", and I like my seat almost all the way back, so my seatback gets kicked occasionally. It gets so dirty/scuffed it's hard to wash it out.
-The use the little pocket next to the door handle as their place to store toys. But considering how small it is, most of the toys are on the floor/in the empty seat between them. Sometimes it looks like a war zone back there.
-My son accidentally whacked my car with a while back, he didn't leave a mark. But we had a talk about how it's not good to swing sticks around because he might hurt himself or someone else.
-My son drew with ink on the leather about a month ago. Rubbing alcohol got most of out it, it's still visible though. I have no idea how, but he had a pen in his lunch box, I'm guessing he stole it from preschool.

If I obsessed over each of these things, I'd lose my mind. It's a car, use it. By the time my kids outgrow their carseats/boosters/etc. the leather will be so indented, i don't think it'll recover. By the time I'm going to sell the car, a few scuff marks and leather indents aren't going to make a huge difference in cost.

Rule from day 1: No food or drink in the car. Period.

The rule has been loosened over the past two years to allow water only, and it must be in a sealable container.

Call me unreasonable but we stop often enough on trips that there's no need to eat in the car.
You are correct that I do not understand this. What is the worst thing that can happen? Wait. I take that back. There could be a couple really bad things. But really, most things that can or will happen are no big deal. So what if a soda spills, or french fries get under the seat, or ketchup lands on the leather? Just clean it! As long as you keep your car and leather clean and tidy, it will look and smell the same. You will not lose any resale value. In fact, it is typically not food that causes problems, but things like shoes and belt-buckles. A scratch on the leather is far more damaging than spilled food. If the seats get indented by child seats, maybe it will affect the resale price by a couple hundred dollars several years down the road. Maybe not.

These cars are beautiful and treasured, but they are not show cars (as I know a little about; just look at the 1949 Buick in my avatar). You will not lose any points for a history of food in the car that has left little to no evidence

Reactions: davidc18 and Max*
I like my car clean and w/o clutter. I have vacuumed up crumbs and some weird residues over the years. As parents know , kids have an innate ability to find that little area of a car that is just impossible to get to. More frustrating when the child is crying for that favorite toy stuffed so deep into the seat a full arm in and I still can't reach it :)
Having said that I am almost 1 month into Tesla ownership and youngest is 15 years old. Thank God!
My sympathies to Tesla owners with young ones :)

Reactions: Max*
Yea, my 20 year old son bugs me to use the Tesla. Like i'm going to let him cruise the streets with his friends in my Tesla? :) Heck,no!
He reminded me of the kid that races his fathers P90D on the track. Good for him, but it's not going to be you :0

The rule has been loosened over the past two years to allow water only, and it must be in a sealable container.

Call me unreasonable but we stop often enough on trips that there's no need to eat in the car.

Fellow McKinney Texan here as well and those are my rules for Electra right now. :)

And here's the longer reply to my above comment:

Let's see, 1+ years in, an almost 6 and almost 4 year old. Could my car be in better shape? Sure. But I'd rather let me kids enjoy it too. Some things that might bother you that kids cause to the car:
-The booster seat makes an indent on the sides of the back row, as it's obviously too wide. But I'd rather chose a safer [and wider in the case] booster seat, than one that would fit and be less safe
-The booster seat leaves an indent in the headrest
-Got rigid seat belt extenders to make life easier, very short ones do keep the geometry of the seat belt pretty much the same as if there was no extender.
-They touch the outside of the car with their whole palm for whatever reason, and they leave oily residue on the car, very visible on a freshly washed car
-I typically don't want them eating in the car, though I do allow it. It's not a "rule", but we stop on road trips often enough that there is no "need" to eat in the car. This leads to crumbs in places you can't imagine.
-RFS are a hit with their friends, they don't like them so much. But they (both my kids and their friends) like to put their feet up by the glass, and that leaves scuff marks on the trim under the glass.
-I'm 6'1", and I like my seat almost all the way back, so my seatback gets kicked occasionally. It gets so dirty/scuffed it's hard to wash it out.
-The use the little pocket next to the door handle as their place to store toys. But considering how small it is, most of the toys are on the floor/in the empty seat between them. Sometimes it looks like a war zone back there.
-My son accidentally whacked my car with a while back, he didn't leave a mark. But we had a talk about how it's not good to swing sticks around because he might hurt himself or someone else.
-My son drew with ink on the leather about a month ago. Rubbing alcohol got most of out it, it's still visible though. I have no idea how, but he had a pen in his lunch box, I'm guessing he stole it from preschool.

If I obsessed over each of these things, I'd lose my mind. It's a car, use it. By the time my kids outgrow their carseats/boosters/etc. the leather will be so indented, i don't think it'll recover. By the time I'm going to sell the car, a few scuff marks and leather indents aren't going to make a huge difference in cost.

You nailed it my friend.

I have gotten better after reading some of these posts and gotten over the new car-ness a tad and let my son enjoy it as much as me.

Still no food or drink in it as he is as messy as his mother and my OCD will drive me insane but we are working on it. I even taught him how to plug and unplug the charger and get him involved with me cleaning it. He does the tires and rims. :)

Starting the future Tesla owner early.

Reactions: davidc18 and bmah
Regarding all those seatbelt extenders, what're people's thoughts on their disclaimer?

Important Information
Legal Disclaimer
This product is for those who otherwise can't buckle up. However, read and abide by your car manufacturer's owner's manual prior to installation or use of this product, which may not be compatible with your car. Failure to read and abide by manufacturer's warning regarding purchase, use and installation could result in serious injury. Those who can use the existing seat belt should not use an extender. Such unnecessary use, including with child restraints, could result in serious personal injury or death. Read and abide by disclaimer and safety notes included <a href="http://amzn.to/1xlvpA1">here</a>, with the product and on the manufacturer's product tag. Authorized reseller of seat belt extenders.

Regarding all those seatbelt extenders, what're people's thoughts on their disclaimer?
One of the big reasons that a seat belt extender is not allowed/recommended for booster seats is that it changes the geometry of the seat belt when used in conjunction with a booster seat. The belt is supposed to go around the child's lap, not abdomen, so that in an event of a crash, they are secured to the seat and the seat belt does not cause internal organ damage. I would also only purchase seat belt extenders that have been crash safety tested

Most manufacterers and most booster seats will not recommend using seat belt extenders. But if you do end up using it, you should get it checked at one of the "safety checks" offered in your city by the police/fire department. People have passed the safety checks with seat belt extenders for booster seats (I think I've even read about that here on TMC).

• Informative
Reactions: Mickie

I haven't picked up my car yet, but this is a stated rule and also the kids shoes come off in the car. Their feet are constantly up in the seat in front of them.

One of the big reasons that a seat belt extender is not allowed/recommended for booster seats is that it changes the geometry of the seat belt when used in conjunction with a booster seat. The belt is supposed to go around the child's lap, not abdomen, so that in an event of a crash, they are secured to the seat and the seat belt does not cause internal organ damage. I would also only purchase seat belt extenders that have been crash safety tested

Most manufacterers and most booster seats will not recommend using seat belt extenders. But if you do end up using it, you should get it checked at one of the "safety checks" offered in your city by the police/fire department. People have passed the safety checks with seat belt extenders for booster seats (I think I've even read about that here on TMC).
Thanks, Max. Tremendous, eye-opening advice here. If I can't find an extender that seats the belt on the kiddo's lap, we'll deal with the hassle of the original buckle.

P85 with a set of twins (7 years) and now a 15 month old toddler. Car seat (Britax) the beast is in the middle and swaps in and out weekly with the Leaf.

The twins use BubbleBum boosters, super portable, inflates, and really only takes up enough room for their butts.

I've had both a blanket and nothing under the seats. When in place, the kids complain about it blocking the belt latch area. However, it does wonders collecting dripping formula bottles when they are flung from the middle or the occasional dropped french fry.

With no blanket to protect my poor seats: puddles of bottle formula, some car sick incidents (what a nightmare to cleanup), and a TON of scrubbing, wiping, cleaning (yes with a toothbrush on the stitching, I've managed to have people ask if we really let the kids in the back seat.

Reactions: ModelX
My twins are now 11, so they were 8 when I got my first Tesla. I had the car for 2.5 years before selling it. I allowed food, but demanded extreme caution. The new owner said that my car felt and smelled better than any of the CPO's he looked at. My point is this: as long as you reasonably care for the car, you will not have an issue with people eating in it.

Good rule. I forgot about that rule once and handed my daughter a container of chocolate milk without thinking while driving out to the coast for vacation. In my new P85D. Three hours from home.

She thought the door handle pocket was a trash can and dumped the remainder of her unwanted chocolate milk in there. You know that little rubber insert in the bottom of the door pocket that looks like it could be water tight? Yeah. It isn't. The milk flowed through the whole inside of the door and out the speaker and lights on the bottom.

I ended up calling the local service center for instructions on how to disassemble the door panel. To their credit, after some good solid chuckles they were able to walk me through it over the phone. Fun start to a week long vacation! On the plus side, I had a solid week to clean it all out and let it dry.

But yeah. Rule 1. No food or drink in the car. Water in a sealed container only.