Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Order & Delivery Tracker - Q1 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to the Tesla store tonight to get fresh news... It appears that the car would be ready on Feb 24, but it needs 2 weeks to travel to NJ :-((
So it seems consistent with MidlifeCrisis table: December orders currently have delivery time at around 3 months for S85, MidlifeCrisis himself being kind of a (very lucky) exception... It's hard to understand why 1 day difference would push delivery by a full month, options may have an impact.

Went to the Tesla store tonight to get fresh news... It appears that the car would be ready on Feb 24, but it needs 2 weeks to travel to NJ :-((
So it seems consistent with MidlifeCrisis table: December orders currently have delivery time at around 3 months for S85, MidlifeCrisis himself being kind of a (very lucky) exception... It's hard to understand why 1 day difference would push delivery by a full month, options may have an impact.

From the data in the table so far, I have a few theories (or guesses) as what might be impacting the scheduled delivery date:

1. Maybe there is a monthly production cycle, and once either some date is reached or total # of cars is reached, the next delivery date estimate gets bumped to the next month. Perhaps my order date or confirmation date was close to the end of the "late Jan" delivery date batch.

2. Options - I did add an options column now, to fill in options for those who care to provide them, so we can see if there might be some specific option(s) which might be adding to the delivery timeline. I wouldn't think it would be a commodity option, like fog lamps, paint color or sound system, but maybe something like high power charging. We'll see if there is a pattern. I'll try to go back and fill in the details for folks who have provided options details already. It makes the table uglier, unfortunately (columns don't adjust nicely to the varied content sizes...if someone has a recommendation on how to fix that or if the majority of folks on this thread don't want me to stink up the table, I'm not married to keeping this column, nor will I take any feedback personally, so feel free to offer suggestions on making that table in the first post more useful!

3. Delivery destination batching - clearly the Europeans on this list are getting longer and less firm delivery dates...perhaps Tesla is waiting for some batch minimum to fill some optimal freight to cost ratio, and, to a lesser extent, the US destinations may also be waiting on some batch size for optimizing their delivery pipeline. Honestly, I'm no supply chain expert, but I have to think they probably don't ship a single car to a destination as soon as that car is ready, but maybe once they have enough cars to fill up some delivery truck, they schedule the delivery.

Could be one, some, all or none of the above. I will email my contact at our service center/test drive location and see if he'll divulge how frequently they get deliveries and how many cars they typically have on it, just to satisfy our (or my) curiosity and give those of us waiting a little more interesting information to help distract us from our painful wait!

Also, @2virgule5, I definitely consider myself a "very lucky" exception (at least right now, knocking on wood, fingers crossed, no jinxing please!).

- - - Updated - - -

Hi MidlifeCrisis,
Great name! As I told my wife, the new car is a lot cheaper than an affair. ;)

My build is:
S85, grey, pano, dual chargers, tech, parking sensors, fog lamps, parcel shelf.

Thanks @Canuck! I was actually shocked the name was not already taken! This is totally a midlife crisis purchase for me. I thought the midlife crisis car thing was a made-up thing, but when I hit 44, I started craving a sports car. Started talking to folks, pricing different sports cars out (was strongly leaning towards a Corvette, but also considering a Porsche), and then I was chatting with a couple guys at an event one night, and one guy was bragging about how great his Nissan Leaf was. I currently own a 2006 Prius, and when the guy bet me his Leaf had better pick-up than my Prius, I challenged that and then we got on the topic of Tesla Model S, and those two guys were pretty knowledgable about the pricing and capabilities.

I didn't think a whole lot about it, but when I was leaving the event, the dude in the Leaf stopped his car in this open Costco parking lot and waved me beside him. I had my 2 kids in the car and he had the other adult and 2 or 3 of the kids in his leaf, and he challenged me to a short drag race (probably about 40 yards). He crushed me (though it would have been a very boring drag race to anyone watching), and that naturally got me researching Tesla's when I got home. I didn't want to get a 90-mile range car, but the thought of having a rematch with that guy in a Tesla was now very appealing. I started going through the pricing process with various options (as I'm sure everyone reading this thread did before actually pulling the trigger), and I realized I really did love the look and features of the Tesla, and then my wife asked me if I could "accelerate" my next car purchase so we could donate (or sell at a significant discount) the Prius to a family member. So I started looking more seriously at the Tesla, and I started talking to my wife about the Tesla, which she liked much better than an impractical sports car. I talked to a guy I work with who owns one, scheduled a test drive, and now here I am, waiting to treat my condition (Midlife Crisis) with a new Tesla, and counting the days for my rematch with that Leaf to earn back my self respect. I agree this is a much more practical, cheaper and more fulfilling treatment than the alternatives (like having an affair!).

Now I just want to go into a medically induced coma until the car is delivered...I wonder how much that would cost!

Hi,
Mine has Tech pack & Pano roof, white paint, that's all ; so if anything the more options you have the shorter wait time seems to be ;-)
@ MidlifeCrisis, we have something in common then, I'm also a Prius owner (2010 model). After 3,5 years and 90000 miles I started to think about what my next car would be. I have a long commute - 110 miles/day hence the mileage on the Prius - and quite frankly once you get used to an Hybrid (and the feeling regenerative braking gives in addition to the low fuel consumption) it was clear to me that going back ICE only was not going to be an option ever again. Chevy Volt with its poor range and mpg on range extender would be a set back compared to Prius, and basically nothing else was available to fit my needs apart from the model S I've seen in web videos and reviews. I saw one in the recently opened Tesla store in Short Hills NJ and made the fatal mistake of going for a test drive on my 42nd birthday. Reshuffling personal finance & options (yes we all did that...) and a week later the car was ordered. As for the mid life crisis, well I didn't think of it that way (it was more like if I have to spend that many hours in a car per week I would as well have fun and confort in a high tech zero emission car) until a women at work teased me about my choice with this definitive opinion. Maybe there is some truth to it. I don't care really, what I want is to get it asap!

For some reason my story went to the moderator... Anyway, my options are: S85 white, tech pack. and panoramic roof, that's it.

That shoots down my "options" theory...you don't have any options I don't have and you confirmed the day after I did, yet your delivery is a month later. Do you mind sharing your last 5 digits of your VIN? Given you confirmed the day after I did, I would expect your VIN to be pretty close to mine, unless, perhaps, the VIN gets assigned based on the order date, not the confirm date.

S85
confirmed on 12/17/13
still sourcing parts as of 12/28/13
"late February" delivery date
pick up in Norristown, PA

My options:
All Glass Panoramic Roof
Brown Metallic Paint
Parking Sensors
Piano Black Décor
Rear Facing Seats
Subzero Weather Package
Supercharger Enabled
Tan Nappa Leather Seats
Tech Package

a_kwok S85 California confirmed/finalized: 12/20 expected: late feb.

For those who are expecting a Model S delivery in Q1 2014, I thought I'd start a thread to put everyone's details in one table. Post a reply with your details and I will update this table...will give me something constructive to do while I wait on my Model S to arrive!

NameTypeOptionsDelivery CityConfirmVIN DateProd
Start
Delivery
MidlifeCrisisS85red, pano, tan leather, obeche matte, tech, parking, fog, sound, rear facing seats, lighting, paint armor, coilMarietta, GA4-Dec22-Dec

~25-Jan
mulefergS85
Raleigh, NC18-Dec

Late Feb
Tony DelCampoS85
Marietta, GA10-Dec

~24-Feb
UpstateElectricS85
Binghamton, NY25-Nov18-Dec
~Jan
CanuckS85grey, pano, dual chargers, tech, parking sensors, fog lamps, parcel shelf.Vancouver, BC9-Dec

Late Feb
Johann KoeberP85MC red, pano, air, tech, 19,MunichLate Oct25-Dec

Late Feb
Honolulu MSP85+Brown Metallic | Pano| 21" Grey Turbines | Tan Performance Seats | Extended Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | Interior Lighting | Sound | Alcantara | Tech | Air Suspension | Park Sensors | Fog LampsHonoluluAugustMid Dec

Early to Mid Feb
tompS85
Raleigh, NC9-Dec

Late Feb
srangerS85
Marietta, GA19-Dec

Late Feb
2virgule5S85white, tech pack. and panoramic roofSpringfield, NJ5-Dec

Late Feb
(+2 weeks
transport)
BlazeS85
Costa Mesa, CA23-Dec

Late Feb
leonariS85
ViennaEarly SepEarly Oct

Late Feb
jonnaroS85
Fremont factory23-Dec

Late Feb
gpettiP85+Blue Metallic| Black Perf. Nappa Leather| Carbon Fiber | Tech | Pano | 21" Grey Wheels | Smart air | Prem. Int. Light |
Ultra High Fidelity | Spoiler |Fog Lamps | Parking Sensors | Subzero
Calgary6-Nov

Feb
HybrisP85+MC Red, gray 21", carbon interior, carbon spoiler, tan interior, all options.SwedenEarly OctEarly Dec
Feb (was Jan)
KaJu74S85white, glass roof, leather brown, double loaders, tech package, parking sensors, winter package, Sound Studio package, air suspension, lighting packageGermany7-Jul6-Aug
20-DecFeb (was Dec)
johnnydP85+
??11-Oct

Mar
DatelessLoserS85
Marietta, GA6-Dec

@MidlifeCrisis ; excellent table, may be worth sorting entries by confirm date ; also maybe you can separate US / Canada / Europe as clearly they are on different timelines. And if really order date is linked to VIN number (and not confirm date) maybe we can register this one as well. Just sayin'

Apparently my car will be on the first production line of February, so a delivery window of February 19th to 26th is the current estimate. A delivery to Calgary means that end of February is pretty much a given (or later). Bottom line my delivery is Late Feb too. Seems like a disproportionate number of people waiting for late Feb - don't know if that is representative of the larger community.

In my first post, I did not state all the options. As they have been added to the table, here my list of options:

MC red
Pano
19 in wheels
light brown performance interior
carbon
double charger
tech
park sensors
winter package
sound
active air (was standard, but option now)
lighting package

Apparently my car will be on the first production line of February, so a delivery window of February 19th to 26th is the current estimate. A delivery to Calgary means that end of February is pretty much a given (or later). Bottom line my delivery is Late Feb too. Seems like a disproportionate number of people waiting for late Feb - don't know if that is representative of the larger community.

If the TM build pattern continues...TM will dedicate early Q1 (Jan) to Asia production so they can have them delivered overseas by March 31st. They will then do North America production in Feb/March that can be delivered before March 31st.