Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S or BMW 740LDXdrive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The WA state sales tax exemption isn't a refund - it's upfront. When you buy a normal car, like a BMW 7 series, you pay 8-9% sales tax. When you buy an EV you pay 0%. That in of itself can really level the playing field for price comparisons.

This is in addition to, and separate from, the $7500 federal tax credit that may be what you're referring to as a refund.

Add these two incentives up and I found the Model S very price competitive. Factor in $2000+ a year savings on gasoline and it's hard to see any compariable gas car as cheaper.

Yes, i did take that into account, BMW configuration was 8k less than MS pre tax and with the federal tax credit, both came down to be same cost. Yes the diesel cost will be the over head

Yes, i did take that into account, BMW configuration was 8k less than MS pre tax and with the federal tax credit, both came down to be same cost. Yes the diesel cost will be the over head

And if long-term ownership is your plan, it is probably correct to assume significantly less maintenance costs for Tesla, hard to say for <5 years when BMW maintenance is prepaid.

Help me decide .. i have my MS85 configured (not confirmed) as White, Pano, Leather, Piano, Tech, Park, Fog, Dual C and the cost is same as a BMW 740 long wheel based diesel all wheel drive with M package.

Are you kidding me? What can I say, I have a downeast style boat with twin Yanmar diesel motors. Requires diesel fuel, engine oil (5 gallons a motor), along with a long list of maintenance items to keep them running efficiently and smooth. Same with your BMW. E-boats are here, but have a long way to go. The Model S is here and has arrived.

Sold my BMW 540 today .. now the decision time :confused: ... leaning heavily on Tesla .. either way no fun to drive car for next couple of months..

I've owned several BMW and Audi's - I even kept my last S4 after getting my Model S (early on, in Jan 2013) just in case. I sold it after a week of Tesla ownership. I just can't see going back. Driving the Tesla is too much fun. Instant torque, no transmission lag, no shifting in and out of the power band, all instaneous go on the Tesla at any time. It's a real blast. Plus, filling up at home turns out to be a real gem. Go for the Tesla.