Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S non-drivable after multiple error messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem diagnosed: apparently it was either something wrong with the "voltage regulator" inside the battery itself or something leading to the voltage regulator, which I'm told has to do with high-power charging sources (superchargers?).

Cause: unclear.

Time to fix: 3 - 5 weeks! They have to ship the battery itself up to their headquarters. In the interim, they loaded my car with a "loaner battery" - very interesting, has anyone had this before?

Many people have received loaner batteries. You will get yours back.

Many people have received loaner batteries. You will get yours back.

Seems like these problems are way too common, what happens when it's out of warranty? Seems like Teslas will become very costly to maintain if things are constantly going wrong (I've already had the drive unit and the 12v replaced, can't imagine how much the former would cost out of warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I've seen that posted before. Simple and effective way to let you continue to use your car while your pack is being repaired.

Yeah, makes sense :)

Seems like Teslas will become very costly to maintain if things are constantly going wrong (I've already had the drive unit and the 12v replaced, can't imagine how much the former would cost out of warranty.

While annoying for sure, these things mostly relate to earlier vehicles. Since the battery has an 8 year unlimited mile warranty, owners should have $0 battery related expense until then. At 8 years, most of the batteries that have bad contactors should already have them replaced. Anyone wanting drive units changes due to sound or earlier resolved issues should also have them replaced. Otherwise, drive units should last a very long time. 12v batteries may be an expense, but they can die on any car. Granted, on a Tesla you will probably be replacing them more frequently, but hopefully Tesla will find a better spec version by the time the car goes off warranty. My $0.02 (and this is coming from someone who also had main contactor failure).

Seems like these problems are way too common, what happens when it's out of warranty? Seems like Teslas will become very costly to maintain if things are constantly going wrong (I've already had the drive unit and the 12v replaced, can't imagine how much the former would cost out of warranty.

Precisely why I bought the extended warranty when I ordered the car. I'm scheduled for my third drive unit (once they get one in stock) and also have had the battery dropped for HV contactor replacement. Of course, Tesla didn't offer it when I bought my car (and warranty package), but they have extended the 8 year/unlimited mile warranty that was always provided on the battery to the drive unit as well now.

Precisely why I bought the extended warranty when I ordered the car. I'm scheduled for my third drive unit (once they get one in stock) and also have had the battery dropped for HV contactor replacement. Of course, Tesla didn't offer it when I bought my car (and warranty package), but they have extended the 8 year/unlimited mile warranty that was always provided on the battery to the drive unit as well now.

Yeah, depending on how things go, I may purchase the extended warranty (Tesla informed me that I could at any point). Also, are you saying that the drive train/unit is covered by the same warranty as the battery pack? I guess I missed that!! :O

- - - Updated - - -

While annoying for sure, these things mostly relate to earlier vehicles. Since the battery has an 8 year unlimited mile warranty, owners should have $0 battery related expense until then. At 8 years, most of the batteries that have bad contactors should already have them replaced. Anyone wanting drive units changes due to sound or earlier resolved issues should also have them replaced. Otherwise, drive units should last a very long time. 12v batteries may be an expense, but they can die on any car. Granted, on a Tesla you will probably be replacing them more frequently, but hopefully Tesla will find a better spec version by the time the car goes off warranty. My $0.02 (and this is coming from someone who also had main contactor failure).

Very good point and hopefully you're right about having all the early/bad parts weeded out over the next 8 years. Part of the reason that justifies the high price of a Tesla is the peace of mind that it's SUPPOSED to require substantially less maintenance, as it has less parts that are supposed to last an insanely long time. Yes, I agree on the 12v, but I hardly ever drive my car (it only has ~3,500 miles on it) and it needed to be replaced about a year after purchasing it - even for an ICE, that's not normal. I've had cars that I've put substantially more miles on (and owned longer) that didn't even require a replacement. Moreover, it's not like it's something you can do/replace yourself, Tesla has to. But beyond that, there just seems to be a lot going wrong with a lot of Teslas. Incredibly glad they fix the issues when they appear, but a little worried for future ownership (especially if they're just replacing with the same parts).

Also, are you saying that the drive train/unit is covered by the same warranty as the battery pack? I guess I missed that!! :O

3-18-2015 3-06-29 PM.jpg