Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Lease Speculation Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The attractiveness of a lease depends critically on two things: your tax treatment of the payments, and the residual value of the car. Most potential leasing partners are going to be wary of the residual value, so expect lousy lease terms until there's some history about residual value.

Hope the terms are better than the bend over and grab your ankles roadster lease.

What terms did your lease have, and why did you dislike them so much?

My Roadster lease is $2450 for 36 months, with a $60500 residual, and I'm delighted with it. Total payments are $156150 over three years. When compared to the new-car purchase, which would have been $139100 with sales tax, that's a 3.92% annual interest rate. And that's before the tax savings due to the lease structure. Seems like a great deal to me.

Wow.. Not sure how you figure that as true.

This is pretty ruthless of them. THey don't release lease info, but basically you MUST configure your car before the price increases. If they don't have lease info, you're going to take a risk on whether or not the lease will be available upon delivery. If its not, you're stuck with purchasing it. Seems crazy to me! Does anyone else see an issue with these business practices???

KingsDude, impossible to understand to whom your first line is addressed, therefore impossible for anyone to respond cogently.

As for "ruthless of them", I disagree. This company is still very much a startup, and very much fighting for its survival. If they have 13,000 people who are prepared to buy the car already, they want to receive as much of that money as they can, as quickly as they can. Their corporate health depends on it. They'll offer a lease option -- almost certainly through a third-party financial player, so that they still receive the purchase price of the car up front -- reasonably soon, but it certainly isn't a priority for them. Their priorities are ramping up production so they can deliver and sell cars, not just reserve them, and ensuring that they reach break-even and then profitability as soon as humanly possible.

If they don't do this quickly enough, they could still fail and go bankrupt. So, while not offering leases will surely cost them some lost sales, they're simply not treating that as a priority right now. They've said clearly that they'll do it, but not just yet because it's not an urgent need and other things are. For a company this young, and this small, that seems entirely logical to me and I see no issue with their business practices.

This is pretty ruthless of them. THey don't release lease info, but basically you MUST configure your car before the price increases. If they don't have lease info, you're going to take a risk on whether or not the lease will be available upon delivery. If its not, you're stuck with purchasing it. Seems crazy to me! Does anyone else see an issue with these business practices???
No, I don't. Reservation deposits are fully refundable, so if you don't like the lease terms, ask for your money back. No one is forcing you into buying something you don't want, or on terms you don't accept.

Wow.. Not sure how you figure that as true.

How about reserving another car before 12/31 to lock in pricing and if leasing is not available by the time your first res is ready to configure then cancel it. Leasing will most likely be available by the time your new res comes up for configuration.

How about reserving another car before 12/31 to lock in pricing and if leasing is not available by the time your first res is ready to configure then cancel it. Leasing will most likely be available by the time your new res comes up for configuration.
I'm doing exactly that. I'm res 13064 and plan to reserve another spot end of day12/31.

I did the same. I'm P11317 and I made my reservation for P15063. I'm not so much worried about a lease (although I'll take one if it's available) but rather that the lease I have with my apartment (which doesn't have wall plugs in the parking structure, let alone charging stations) is until August. I'd prefer to move to a place where I can charge the car before having it and from what I've heard, 11317 may arrive well before that (May possibly).

I'm doing exactly that. I'm res 13064 and plan to reserve another spot end of day12/31.

I am going to do the same reserve another end of year. I got my finalize your order email yesterday. I don't want to pay for the whole thing instead i just want to lease it and maybe buy Gen III.

Its possible that the leasing options and price for lease maybe the same no matter when you have reserved. So I am going to keep both reservations for as long as I can and just use the one (reservation) that seems right (price vs delay to get the car) so that I can get the car ASAP.

I've heard others who got the email in the same batch as me and who have finalized there order got an estimated date of feb-march. Waiting for leasing options is going to be hard.

-Owais Haq

How much are you guys willing to pay for lease.

As I mentioned above that now I am thinking of just buying it and then trade it in at Tesla for Gen III. I heard that roadster owners can trade in their cars for Model S I would assume the same will be true for Model S.

I am not sure yet what to do. Have 4 weeks to finalize it.

Before I was thinking of getting the 60kWh battery and paying up to 700 per month for lease.

How did i figure this out? well Nissan sells for around 30k and lease is for $250 so similarly chevi volt sells for around 35-40k and lease is $330, so basically divide the value of the car by 100 and the lease price is around that.

The Tesla I configured is around 66k-68k, so I am willing to pay 700 per month for it, with my $5000 down payment.

What number did you guys have in mind for the configuration you have?

-Owais

@ohaq: you have to keep in mind that other automakers are using leases to move volume -- basically, a form of discount to keep cars moving out the door. Tesla isn't discounting its purchase price, and the third party that will be providing the leasing won't be discounting, either. You might play around with Edmund's lease calculator to get a more realistic number. My guess is that you're looking at something over $1000/month for your configuration.

@ohaq: you have to keep in mind that other automakers are using leases to move volume -- basically, a form of discount to keep cars moving out the door. Tesla isn't discounting its purchase price, and the third party that will be providing the leasing won't be discounting, either. You might play around with Edmund's lease calculator to get a more realistic number. My guess is that you're looking at something over $1000/month for your configuration.

Thanks for the response and link. This is why I don't know if i should just buy it. Elon did say that the lease pricing will be competitive to BMW etc and cars the same class. I know he said after all expenses gas and maintenance etc. So monthly cost might be more but over all cost might be lower.

I need to discuss with my family. Just cant wait to get the car asap :)