Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Keyless System described by Tesla in this NHTSA Comment Letter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's quite a different thing from turning off the motor and physically removing a key, versus exiting from your car with the fob in your pocket while it's still in drive with the motor running.

Yes, the equivalent in the Model S for the routine of turning off the motor and removing the key in the Roadster seems to be to get off the driver's seat and out of the car with the fob. If there's going to be creep in D and R, there's no way to do all that in the Model S as it'd start rolling the moment the foot's off the brake pedal.

Yes, the equivalent in the Model S for the routine of turning off the motor and removing the key in the Roadster seems to be to get off the driver's seat and out of the car with the fob. If there's going to be creep in D and R, there's no way to do all that in the Model S as it'd start rolling the moment the foot's off the brake pedal.

I think you are supposed to put it into "park". Those things are just what happens when you don't. Instead of just making warning sounds, it already puts it into park.

This is going to take some getting used to: after coming to a rest in a level parking spot, just put the car in neutral and get out. Or, with no creep, just get out.
:scared:

ha. of course this is not how they intend you to stop the car. You'd obviously put it in park. Imagine parking on the hills of San Francisco and needing to jump out of the car in order for it to "park and stop" :) Actually, this makes me wonder. Is there a push-to-start button? Or do you simply shift the gear to Drive/Reverse to "start" the car? And to stop you would put it in Park?

lol suuuuure! I kinda read the "feature" to indicate automatic creep may be gone?

I agree this quote looks promising...

These overlapping systems ensure that torque is not applied to the drive wheels unless expressly commanded by the driver.

This also is quite nice to see. No left foot braking allowed! Well no more people driving around with their brake lights on at least.

For example, the Model S is equipped with brake override where the controller gives priority to brake pedal input over accelerator input. If the brake pedal is pressed after the accelerator, the controller will ignore the accelerator inputs and respond only to the brake signal.

The filing with NHTSA didn't mention buckling up -- we had heard that back in October, but it no longer appears to be true. That's not the sort of omission I'd expect in a regulatory filing.

Yeah. Interesting omission. I think there's a subtle assumption by drivers that they should be able to drive away without buckling up (yeah, the car will hound them with beeps, gongs, whatever till they do so); Tesla would grudgingly have to support this.

Maybe, there's a genuine need to be able to do so? Like the need to get away quickly from a carjacking situation or some such?

The site still mentions buckling in. Let's see if they update that going forward:

1179901372.jpg

Presumably, unbuckling powers off the car and puts it in Park. In the Prius pressing the power button puts it in park and although there is a separate Park button, the only time I've ever used it is for long railroad crossing stops because Park uses less power then staying on the brakes.

Yeah. Interesting omission. I think there's a subtle assumption by drivers that they should be able to drive away without buckling up

I think it's more of a common convention. To start my G37, I need to have the FOB in the car, press the brake, then press the Start button. Brake = yes, seat belt = no.

Also a certain percentage of the population (foolishly) absolutely refuses to put on seat belts.

Yeah, strange omission, although I've been told by my CA that you insert the buckle to start the motor. It's also in a number of you tube demonstrations.

I think the filing had more to do with regulations on powering down and how Tesla may be considered non-compliant without explaining how their technology in setting the parking brake and preventing vehicle roll-away worked. They may not have felt the need to address how to start the car...plus, there is no "start button". It's too dangerous to presume that a 4 year old can start the car without some stopgap measure.

Last edited:
"Powers off" how much though? I assume there an equivalent to the ACC position on an ignition, say so you can sit in the car and play with the touchscreen/radio without the drivetrain contactors engaged.

My understanding is that the Tesla never fully powers down (bricking protection notwithstanding). However, I haven't heard of any details on what exactly it does other than remove the drivetrain connectors. Maybe there is some customization you can do on the touch screen.