Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants the "Creep" removed?

Kill the Creep?

• We don't need no stinking creep, drop it.

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Nothing creepy about the creep, keep it.

Votes: 43 69.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anything that isn't a serious safety feature should be addressable via software.

What is the purpose of the creep? I thought it was originally there in case you stepped out of the car without putting on the handbrake. But, people have also mentioned a benefit during hill-starts. Or, is it just an unintentional bi-product of ICE automatic transmission design?

Creep in ICEs is just a byproduct of an idling engine pulling against the transmission when your foot is off the brake. We've gotten so used to it, that Tesla's team designed it into the way the Roadster behaves. It's entirely unnecessary. They could just as easily have made it like the Segway, where it would stand still going up or down hill when you take your foot off the accelerator.

Stick shift ICE cars don't creep. I've never heard they were less "secure" than automatic transmission cars.

How many times have events like this happened to you?

The car is stopped, but the engine is on. You decide to look for something that may have rolled under the seat, and your foot accidentally hits the torque pedal. Because of creep, the car would be in park, so the car won't move. If the car had no creep, but was left in gear, the car would lurch forward and could hit something (pedestrian, another car, your garage door, the living room wall, etc...)

On the other hand, I was in my ICE once, and I took my eyes off the stop light for a second to get something off the floor. Suddenly I heard all kinds of honking. When I looked up, I found myself rolling towards the car in front of me. Luckily, I braked before I hit. I didn't even feel the gentle forward motion. Apparently, I didn't feel my foot take pressure off the brake.

So basically, I just made safety arguments for both sides. (or an incompetence argument for me) :wink:

IMO, it's not really for safety, but just preference.

Interesting that the poll results are about the opposite of what I would have predicted. My EV doesn't have creep and I don't miss it at all, and I live in an area with a lot of hills. Of course I've driven a lot of manual transmissions in my life as well as autos so I don't take creep for granted. Poll results suggest that auto makers using creep may actually be giving people what they want, maybe because, as I pointed out in another thread about strong regen, people don't like change.

Does 'creep' hurt efficiency? In other words, if you are stopped with foot on the brake, is the vehicle applying some current to the motor to keep it pushing against the gearbox? It feels like it is because as you ease off of the brake pedal it starts rolling forward without hesitation. It would probably help save a little battery power if the battery was only willing to accept power (from regen) and not give out any power (for creep) if the accelerator pedal is not being pushed at all.