Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Interior vs Other $100k Interiors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After owning my 2021 Model S Long Range for just over 6 months now I have noticed a new trend in the arguments for Tesla haters. What used to be range complaints or distaste for the exterior look has been replaced with an overwhelming amount of "The interior just doesn't compare to other $100k cars." I heard it again today and finally decided to do some research but immediately hit road blocks. For an immediate comparison I looked at a BMW M850I and am still confused as to what it has that the Model S interior doesn't. I've posted this in hopes of collecting photos, info, or anything else to support the notion that the Model S does not have an industry comparable interior. What should a $100k car interior look like? How should it feel? What cars serve as good illustrations and what are some bad examples? Does anyone on this forum believe this too or is this another example of hate coming from people that have never owned a Tesla?

I think the complains were more about the build quality than the features. Misaligned panels, poor seals, misc seat creases, dust behind screens, etc.

Though an option for heads up display and ambient lighting would be nice; I’m sure others will have their preferences too :)

Reactions: NavyZW
Have you sat in a 100-120k Porsche? Uh yes there is a definitive difference in build quality and materials used. Heck even a a Lexus, Audi, have a better ‘feel’ with materials vs Tesla.

I think this latest interior is a huge step in the right direction over V1, but a step nonetheless. Tesla is tech…not luxury. Ie. 40k battery, 60k car.

Their next hopefully in 2025/2026 should hopefully close the gaps better. 🤷🏽‍♂️

And if any of those companies could offer that interior quality with the advanced technology, EV propulsion system (even though they can't) the car would be $250k. Now that other manufacturers are getting into the EV game we're quickly starting to see what a more realistic comparison looks like in terms of price even though they fall WELL short in terms of performance.

Face it, with Tesla you're paying for the best EV tech available, hands down. They didn't use top grade materials because they knew the increase in price would deter lots of buyers. The mission never was to have the best interiors in the world. That's something other manufacturers who are still powering their luxury cars with 100-year-old engineering brag about.

If you want world class refinement that will significantly impact the cost. Most people talking about "make a better interior" assume that because the car costs $100k they can just make it better at the same cost. That's not how it works.

And if any of those companies could offer that interior quality with the advanced technology, EV propulsion system (even though they can't) the car would be $250k. Now that other manufacturers are getting into the EV game we're quickly starting to see what a more realistic comparison looks like in terms of price even though they fall WELL short in terms of performance.

Face it, with Tesla you're paying for the best EV tech available, hands down. They didn't use top grade materials because they knew the increase in price would deter lots of buyers. The mission never was to have the best interiors in the world. That's something other manufacturers who are still powering their luxury cars with 100-year-old engineering brag about.

If you want world class refinement that will significantly impact the cost. Most people talking about "make a better interior" assume that because the car costs $100k they can just make it better at the same cost. That's not how it works.
Agreed. I think the OP just asked comparing 100k interior to interior. Not EV to ICE lol.

Same point . 60k car, 40 drivetrain. Whereas V1 was 40k car and 60k drivetrain. Eventuslly we will get to 80k/20k etc

For one point of comparison, the EQS starts around the same price as the MSLR ($102k vs $100k), and still has the federal tax incentive. Once you tack on some options, the price definitely goes above the MSLR, but the price gap is certainly starting to close.

There are also trims of the Lucid Air that offer the same range/speed as the MSLR, but at a lower price.

For one point of comparison, the EQS starts around the same price as the MSLR ($102k vs $100k), and still has the federal tax incentive. Once you tack on some options, the price definitely goes above the MSLR, but the price gap is certainly starting to close.

There are also trims of the Lucid Air that offer the same range/speed as the MSLR, but at a lower price.
...and in 2025-ish, either one of those cars can be all yours if you order today! ;)

Reactions: WhiteWi
Let me clarify for you. To most people here on this forum "luxury" is not going to the gas station, getting over the air updates, self driving (hopefully), a clean look without a million useless buttons, the best tech etc, not trying to "look rich" even though we like nice cars (thats me).
It is not about going to Porsche service for an update, not changing breaks, not getting ripped off at Mercedes service. It's not about the stiched seats, back massagers and other gimmicks. Yes, Mercedes and Porsche have nicer materials, build quality etc.
However, if you compare the quality of the cars value by performance, our $100k should be compared to their $180k car. And yes they win on the things I mentioned but your paying 40-60% more for it. Meh!

Let me clarify for you. To most people here on this forum "luxury" is not going to the gas station, getting over the air updates, self driving (hopefully), a clean look without a million useless buttons, the best tech etc, not trying to "look rich" even though we like nice cars (thats me).
It is not about going to Porsche service for an update, not changing breaks, not getting ripped off at Mercedes service. It's not about the stiched seats, back massagers and other gimmicks. Yes, Mercedes and Porsche have nicer materials, build quality etc.
However, if you compare the quality of the cars value by performance, our $100k should be compared to their $180k car. And yes they win on the things I mentioned but your paying 40-60% more for it. Meh!
I couldn't agree more, and that's generally the argument I take against people that chastise my vehicle of choice. The "million useless buttons" resonates with me beyond belief. The amount of buttons/levers/knobs that exist on most 2022 steering wheels alone is unsettling..

From the sounds of it, the "this interior doesn't compare" shtick boils down to massagers/fine leather/customization and if that's it I suppose haters are going to hate and I shouldn't lose sleep over it.

I couldn't agree more, and that's generally the argument I take against people that chastise my vehicle of choice. The "million useless buttons" resonates with me beyond belief. The amount of buttons/levers/knobs that exist on most 2022 steering wheels alone is unsettling..

From the sounds of it, the "this interior doesn't compare" shtick boils down to massagers/fine leather/customization and if that's it I suppose haters are going to hate and I shouldn't lose sleep over it.
To me, charging at my house is my definition of luxury.

• Love
Reactions: NavyZW and SO16

Buttons have a practical purpose.

It's not garish or baroque design.

Physical buttons have tactile interactions and muscle memory associated with them, keeping your eyes on the road - and are therefore safer. The original rollout of V11 was a clear cut example of this. It took 3 taps to enable seat heaters, which required at least a couple seconds of eyes off the road.

Software buttons can also change position (as Tesla loves to do), destroying muscle memory and requiring even more eyes off time.

A physical button could have been activated through muscle memory, with eyes on.

Agreed. I think the OP just asked comparing 100k interior to interior. Not EV to ICE lol.

Same point . 60k car, 40 drivetrain. Whereas V1 was 40k car and 60k drivetrain. Eventuslly we will get to 80k/20k etc
So you want to compare two complete products by price and NOT factor in the most expensive aspect of both products that's fundamentally different and makes ownership an entirely different experience in ways we haven't seen since Henry Ford rolled the first Model T off of the assembly line. Seems very scientific.

Let's go ahead and ignore that in our comparison... sounds exactly like what Merc fanbois would want us to focus on since it's a battle they win. The rest of the world really doesn't care which is evidenced by the fact that Tesla can't build cars fast enough regardless of how much manufacturing they add. There's always a wait list for people who want a better way and see the type of leather it comes with as insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

In the computer world, when SSD first came out it would be like saying "Both of these drives are $500 so why is the HDD 1TB and the SSD is only 32MB?" and completely overlooking the positives that the entirely new technology offers.

So you want to compare two complete products by price and NOT factor in the most expensive aspect of both products that's fundamentally different and makes ownership an entirely different experience in ways we haven't seen since Henry Ford rolled the first Model T off of the assembly line. Seems very scientific.

Let's go ahead and ignore that in our comparison... sounds exactly like what Merc fanbois would want us to focus on since it's a battle they win. The rest of the world really doesn't care which is evidenced by the fact that Tesla can't build cars fast enough regardless of how much manufacturing they add. There's always a wait list for people who want a better way and see the type of leather it comes with as insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

In the computer world, when SSD first came out it would be like saying "Both of these drives are $500 so why is the HDD 1TB and the SSD is only 32MB?" and completely overlooking the positives that the entirely new technology offers.
This is ignoring EVs like:

• EQS
  • Lucid Air
  • BMW iX
  • BMW i7

that are all close to the MSLR in price with better interiors. Yes, Tesla has a price advantage right now - but that price gap is closing.

Tesla interiors have a very pure and uncomplicated look. More Scandanavian than German. The Mercedes seems to be the one most compared. Mercedes has scores of buttons, perfume dispensers, heads up displays, multiple color options for accent lighting, desino flourishes. Accent styling items, etc. Lots of bling with the Mercedes, while the Tesla is understated. They even brand their speaker systems with flourishes, attempting to stroke the egos by flashing legendary audio names on them all. Reminds the owners that the money they spent is giving them branded sound.

When I raced Vipers, their technicians told me the interior was designed to essentially disappear during competitive driving. Idea was to have as few distractions as possible that would allow the driver to focus completely with the job at hand...racing. Believe Tesla has implemented this philosophy into their interiors as well. While beautiful in their own right, they do not focus on implementing styling themes that catch the eye, instead, providing a pleasant and supportive interior to bring pleasure to the driver as he moves down the road.

This is a bit like the "Intel inside" logo's plastered on computers to let the user know which processor brand is inside, while not having any understanding of what that means to their user experience.

This is ignoring EVs like:

• EQS
  • Lucid Air
  • BMW iX
  • BMW i7

that are all close to the MSLR in price with better interiors. Yes, Tesla has a price advantage right now - but that price gap is closing.
The fact that they're powered by rechargeable batteries is about the only thing they have in common. We all know that range is king when it comes to EV and anyone can make a $30k car that has 100mi range. So if the battery is the most expensive aspect it would serve to reason that they made some sacrifices in that area to be able to produce a nice interior while achieving a target price point. Compare the performance numbers on those same cars and then tell me they're the same thing with better leather.

Reactions: NavyZW