Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HPWC install.PNG

I couldn't figure out a way to search for this in this thread. However my question is: Can Tesla's HPWC be used with an adapter to charge any other EVs than a Tesla? I'm assuming no. I am especially thinking about Tesla current program for hotels and vacation rentals how it would very beneficial if other EVs would be able to benefit.

I couldn't figure out a way to search for this in this thread. However my question is: Can Tesla's HPWC be used with an adapter to charge any other EVs than a Tesla? I'm assuming no. I am especially thinking about Tesla current program for hotels and vacation rentals how it would very beneficial if other EVs would be able to benefit.

Currently no, and a very controversial topic. There are a couple of threads already dedicated to this subject.

I just had a electrician come over to give me a quote. I am going to have him install HPWC in my garage on a 100 amp breaker even though I only have the single charger so my max is at 40 amps. Costs about $50 more for the different breakers and wire size.

If I do decide to add the second charger then my HPWC is all ready to go.

Does this make sense? Thoughts?

I just had a electrician come over to give me a quote. I am going to have him install HPWC in my garage on a 100 amp breaker even though I only have the single charger so my max is at 40 amps. Costs about $50 more for the different breakers and wire size.

Yes, absolutely makes sense. Future-proofs you for another Tesla down the road. Even if the charging standards change, you'd be able to swap out your HPWC for whatever standard comes in 5, 10, 15 years.

Currently no, and a very controversial topic. There are a couple of threads already dedicated to this subject.

If you want to charge your Tesla and other EV's, you can install the HPWC and a 40A outlet.

I did the exact same thing!

Or you could do what I did: Install an 80 amp J1772 station. It can charge a Model S with dual chargers at full speed (with the supplied Tesla adapter) and any other car can use it too.

That is a thought. But I like the idea of having the HPWC always mounted to the wall and leaving the mobile connector with adapters in the car. That way my wife always has the mobile adapter with her when (not IF) she gets in a bind and has to pull into a Chargepoint or whatever. I seriously doubt I'll ever have a second EV ever and if I did it would have to have the outlet on the other side of the garage.

Do you mean the J1772 adapter? I just pop mine off and take it with me, but you could always pick up a spare from Tesla. You don't need the UMC with a J1772 station so that would just stay in the car as always.

No...I understand that you are putting a station in. So the cable stays affixed to the wall and the adapter probably stays with it. I'm not going to have another EV so J1772 in the garage is a moot point for me and the aesthetics of the HPWC is attractive.

Just a quick reminder for the case where you install both a wall connector and a receptacle. You have two choices when doing that:

1. pull a single circuit @ 50A. Note that you may not install the wall connector above 50A if there is a 50A receptacle connected to the same branch circuit.

2. pull two separate circuits, a 50A circuit for the NEMA 14-50 and a 100A circuit for the wall connector. Note that if you do this, if you use a single conduit for both circuits, the wiring gets derated to 80%. This means you must use #2 THHN (90 deg) conductors for the 100A circuit and #6 for the 50A circuit.

You are absolutely NOT permitted to attach a 50A receptacle to a 100A branch circuit that feeds a 100A configured HPWC.

Tech note: you can use the 90 deg column for derating the conductor while using the 75 deg column for terminations.

Just a quick reminder for the case where you install both a wall connector and a receptacle. You have two choices when doing that:

1. pull a single circuit @ 50A. Note that you may not install the wall connector above 50A if there is a 50A receptacle connected to the same branch circuit.

2. pull two separate circuits, a 50A circuit for the NEMA 14-50 and a 100A circuit for the wall connector. Note that if you do this, if you use a single conduit for both circuits, the wiring gets derated to 80%. This means you must use #2 THHN (90 deg) conductors for the 100A circuit and #6 for the 50A circuit.

You are absolutely NOT permitted to attach a 50A receptacle to a 100A branch circuit that feeds a 100A configured HPWC.

Tech note: you can use the 90 deg column for derating the conductor while using the 75 deg column for terminations.

So if you already have an 80 / 100 amp hpwc then you have to run a whole new 50 amp wire from a new 50 amp breaker for the nema 1450? No way to use of existing wire? And adding that 50 amp service, even if rarely used, would add to the list calc and possibly put it over for a 200 amp service?

So if you already have an 80 / 100 amp hpwc then you have to run a whole new 50 amp wire from a new 50 amp breaker for the nema 1450? No way to use of existing wire? And adding that 50 amp service, even if rarely used, would add to the list calc and possibly put it over for a 200 amp service?

The problem is that you have a 50 amp receptacle protected by a 100 amp breaker. It needs to be protected by a 50 amp breaker.