Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets $3K price drop then a $2570 drop to $69420!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work close to a supercharger, so the sound of buying an EV and never having to pay to charge it sounds pretty cool. I’m not sure if only supercharging is hard on the battery though. I wouldn’t be surprised if this indicates some changes coming (a thousand post thread on here about that). I think the current S is a beautiful car and wont have regrets if it changes next year. Hopefully this version of the S has most of the issues worked out *cough* and will miss out on the growing pains of a revised S... along with the Cyber truck, Roadster, Plaid, Semi, battery development, etc.

You can take the $3K and run, or essentially get FSD for $5K instead of $8K?
Tesla doesn’t have FSD, I’d rather spend that 8k on ocean front property in Arizona.

Maybe a model change is coming?

Q4 2021 the only S will be Plaid, current LR and P get replaced by a new model/body style.
Why in the world would Tesla stop producing one their most high margin vehicles? If the plaid will be their only model s for sale then Tesla is leaving a lot of money on the table, not to mention the demand for the plaid version will not be all that high after the initial wave of orders.

There was a time in the past where I would have jumped at something like this...
I got to test drive the LR Raven model s a few weeks ago, honestly the car is nice but it’s not a 70-80k car in my opinion. It felt more like a 50k car. But to be fair my ass has been spoiled, while this price drop is nice, overall I think it just brings it closer to what it should cost

Last edited:
I agree — I'd take the $3000 and give up free supercharging. I've Supercharged my car more than 458 times, so I use FUSC a lot, but $3000 will pay for a LOT of Supercharging.

This new price is roughly what my S-60 cost when new in 2014 (I bought it used in 2016). That's an amazing price drop/performance increase in just six years. Tesla's car pricing is more like a tech product than traditional autos.

I guess that opinion depends a lot on the region and SC availability.

$3,000 in SC value comes out to ~10,714 kWh. I would say "more than 458 times" would use up more than $3,000 in SC value.

The SF Bay Area is practically blanketed with SC stations. Shopping malls, grocery store lots, restaurants, drug stores, etc. So prevalent that it's easy to never have to charge at home.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I got to test drive the LR Raven model s a few weeks ago, honestly the car is nice but it’s not a 70-80k car in my opinion. It felt more like a 50k car. But to be fair my ass has been spoiled, while this price drop is nice, overall I think it just brings it closer to what it should cost

IMO, it's a better value than the 3 and Y. We were interested in a Y and looked at it. But, just like with the 3, the back seat isn't meant for any adult or older teenager for any extended trip, even just commuting.

I guess that opinion depends a lot on the region and SC availability.

$3,000 in SC value comes out to ~10,714 kWh. I would say "more than 458 times" would use up more than $3,000 in SC value.

The SF Bay Area is practically blanketed with SC stations. Shopping malls, grocery store lots, restaurants, drug stores, etc. So prevalent that it's easy to never have to charge at home.
Over how long? While it is true that I have used up about $3000 in Supercharger value (at current prices) over the years, I'd rather have that money and invest it. And I am an outlier in my Supercharger road trip use (I have no local Supercharger Stations, although the first one — only 30 miles away — is under construction).

Even where Supercharger Stations are common, using them as a primary source of charging is not good for the battery. I can see it for apartment dwellers who have no home or workplace L2 charging, but it isn't ideal. It is also a nuisance — avoiding "gas stations" is one of the advantages of EVs. At least for those of us with home charging. How much is that home charging convenience worth? I'd say a lot!

IMO, it's a better value than the 3 and Y. We were interested in a Y and looked at it. But, just like with the 3, the back seat isn't meant for any adult or older teenager for any extended trip, even just commuting.
Interesting that you say that. People with the Y have said that the back seat is better than it is in the S. I couldn't say, having never been in a 3 or Y, but I do know that the S backseat is much too low for comfort, at least for those with long legs. I've ridden in the back seat of my S for extended distances.

What is better?
My wife’s bmw 750. And before anyone jumps on me regarding the superior performance of the Tesla I’m purely talking about comfort and quality of the vehicle.
Never driven a 3 or Y, don’t much care for those models.

Interesting that you say that. People with the Y have said that the back seat is better than it is in the S. I couldn't say, having never been in a 3 or Y, but I do know that the S backseat is much too low for comfort, at least for those with long legs. I've ridden in the back seat of my S for extended distances.

I test drove a Y and its backseat is clearly roomier (more legroom and toe room) and more comfortable than our S. That said, our Raven S has much better ride quality than the Y.

Looks like X didn't get the same price drop this time around.

Over how long? While it is true that I have used up about $3000 in Supercharger value (at current prices) over the years, I'd rather have that money and invest it. And I am an outlier in my Supercharger road trip use (I have no local Supercharger Stations, although the first one — only 30 miles away — is under construction).

Even where Supercharger Stations are common, using them as a primary source of charging is not good for the battery. I can see it for apartment dwellers who have no home or workplace L2 charging, but it isn't ideal. It is also a nuisance — avoiding "gas stations" is one of the advantages of EVs. At least for those of us with home charging. How much is that home charging convenience worth? I'd say a lot!
You may have misread what I wrote. Not sure how it is a nuisance if all of these SCs are located where people shop frequently. It’s not like someone is charging at every single stop. Even just once or twice a week is enough to never need to charge at home.

And I have yet to see evidence of consistent S.C. charging to be detrimental to a Tesla battery.

Maybe some just like the higher seating position of the Y seats. I’m sure there’s not a once size fits all. For us, the seats were just too small in the Y.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
A fully loaded MY now comes in at darn near the exact same price as a base MS. Which do you guys/gals believe is the better value?

I test drove the 3,Y,S and X before choosing the MSLR. The deciding factor for me at least was the ride and overall styling. The storage capacity is just about a wash, speed is on par but handling with the S is far superior IMO. I could not put my finger on it at the time of my test drives, all done in about 2 weeks, but it is definitely the air suspension. It makes a world of difference.

The price cut along with the subsequent quality issues with the Y tips the scales.