Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D
I'm fairly impressed with the areas of coverage, although I will add coverage for the headlamps as well; maybe have the whole hood wrapped.

The 3M FAQ that was posted/linked earlier in the thread had a note that the film does not meet US specs for clarity for headlight use. That is why it is not part of the factory coverage.

For those that have paint armor on another vehicle. What kind of polishing or waxing is required, if any? If it's not necessary, this could save 10-20 hours a year in exterior maintenance, which helps justify the cost a little bit...

Surprising to hear that. I have had 3M film on my current car for 6 years, still clear and impossible to tell there is film on the headlamps. No opaquing/yellowing either. Many aftermarket kits include headlamps as well.

I was surprised as well. The specific language in the FAQ is as follows:

Q) Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be used on headlights, foglights or windshields?

A) In the United States, Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film does not meet the Department of Transportation's standards for optical clarity. Other countries may have different legislation. Please contact your local 3M Representative to help answer this question in your country.

It's interesting that they don't say it's a bad idea, just that they can't in the United States.

I"ve never had armor on my car. By the looks of it, armor doesn't appear to guard against dings from other cars opening their doors. Is that correct?

Correct. Armour is mostly for stone chips. There are other products that protect against car doors and shopping carts.

You can do that if you want. Your whole car can be wrapped to any color you like.

Waxing the car is a chore unless you know what you are doing. There are great websites that will give you a pro edge, but if you don't care to know, a yearly detailing is fine, although pros recommend a seasonal waxing.