Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to the forum. Since I am waiting for the Model S, I went to the local Tinted Shop to get some information about the car tinting along with the clear bra/film installation. The guy was very knowledgeable and he showed me how he does the work, very impressive. He also did a demo using 3 sample sheets, 3M, Avery Nano Fusion and XPEL. The 3M product (used in Model S) shows some yellowing which he does not recommend. Both Nano and XPEL look good and XPEL in particular can do "self healing" which he scratched the sample surface and then poured some hot water over it, the scratches are gone. Amazing product. Unfortunately, he looked up the computer and Model S is not one of the supported kits but he will call XPEL if I'm interested. I wonder if anyone has any experience on XPEL that you can comment.

Welcome. I think Tesla uses the Avery Nano Fusion film. It looks good so far. They don't make he film in a size that can cover the hood in one piece yet though like 3M does.

Thanks DSM363, I do want full hood covered since I am getting the white and suspect the half hood line will be obvious. I saw one in his shop in half hood over a silver sedan and didn't like it (personal preference, didn't want to offend anyone here). He said he did a number of full hoods using the 60" material but didn't mention if this is XPEL or Avery. Since I never had any film before, I think I am OK for either one. The price he quoted is $500 for full hood in addition to the kit.

Thanks DSM363, I do want full hood covered since I am getting the white and suspect the half hood line will be obvious. I saw one in his shop in half hood over a silver sedan and didn't like it (personal preference, didn't want to offend anyone here). He said he did a number of full hoods using the 60" material but didn't mention if this is XPEL or Avery. Since I never had any film before, I think I am OK for either one. The price he quoted is $500 for full hood in addition to the kit.

You are welcome! I'd just ask him if he thinks the two different films will look good together. Also maybe just considering having him do the entire car since you'll be there anyway instead of getting Tesla to do part of it and having him peel off the partial hood and put the different film on. If he does the entire car the film would be the same kind all around. Good luck.

Avery says they are coming out with 60" film 'soon' according to an installer I will use at some point but he said they have been saying that all year.

If you want a full hood panel these people have it:

Monique Estrada
Customer Relations Manager

Star Shield Solutions
4315 Santa Ana St Ontario, Ca 91761
Office: 909-563-7890
Toll Free: 866-NOCHIPS
If you live in the Los Angeles area you can call the LA service center and they can arrange to have StarShield do your full hood. I just had mine done yesterday and it looks MUCH better than the 1/3 hood factory coverage.

I am new to the forum. Since I am waiting for the Model S, I went to the local Tinted Shop to get some information about the car tinting along with the clear bra/film installation. The guy was very knowledgeable and he showed me how he does the work, very impressive. He also did a demo using 3 sample sheets, 3M, Avery Nano Fusion and XPEL. The 3M product (used in Model S) shows some yellowing which he does not recommend. Both Nano and XPEL look good and XPEL in particular can do "self healing" which he scratched the sample surface and then poured some hot water over it, the scratches are gone. Amazing product. Unfortunately, he looked up the computer and Model S is not one of the supported kits but he will call XPEL if I'm interested. I wonder if anyone has any experience on XPEL that you can comment.

Welcome to the forum! I went to a local shop and had a full wrap applied to the car using the XPEL film. So I think that the shop probably has sent XPEL the cutout information to the company and it may be in their system now. They did a fantastic job with our full wrap, but it was not cheap. It is almost impossible to tell the car has a film over it. No orange peel effect and having the whole car wrapped shows no lines at all. If you do a full front wrap with XPEL film you will be very pleased. Also since it's self healing, it should retain a very nice look to it over time. If you wax the car with the film on it, it should shine very nicely. I'm very pleased with it and view it as an investment in the car since I plan on keeping our Model S for a long, long time.

If you live in the Los Angeles area you can call the LA service center and they can arrange to have StarShield do your full hood. I just had mine done yesterday and it looks MUCH better than the 1/3 hood factory coverage.

So did you order the Tesla Paint Armor option and just have Star Shield remove the 1/3 hood coverage and rewrap the entire hood with the Avery? If you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge?

So did you order the Tesla Paint Armor option and just have Star Shield remove the 1/3 hood coverage and rewrap the entire hood with the Avery? If you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge?
Yes, I had the factory installed StarShield. Unfortunately the hood section was very poorly installed and they got StarShield to do a warranty replacement. I had the pay the difference between the 1/3 hood and the entire hood. They have asked me to not discuss how much the difference was since it was a warranty issue. The full price difference to just upgrade if there was not a warranty issue is probably around $500. It is well worth the upgrade. I should have taken a before and after shot but I forgot to. Here is a shot with the full hood now done. You can't even tell there is StarShield on it.
2012-11-22 11.00.28.jpg
2012-11-22 11.00.39.jpg

Yes, I had the factory installed StarShield. Unfortunately the hood section was very poorly installed and they got StarShield to do a warranty replacement. I had the pay the difference between the 1/3 hood and the entire hood. They have asked me to not discuss how much the difference was since it was a warranty issue. The full price difference to just upgrade if there was not a warranty issue is probably around $500. It is well worth the upgrade. I should have taken a before and after shot but I forgot to. Here is a shot with the full hood now done. You can't even tell there is StarShield on it.

Looks great. The normal film treatment from the factory is the Avery film film but you were able to get them to install the StarShield instead?

StarShield is the installation company Tesla has contracted with to install the clear protector. StarShield is no a brand of material. They currently are using Avery material on the cars.

Ah, I see. I was confusing that with the 3M product. What film did they use for the hood, the Avery Nano Fusion film? My local installer said he couldn't get it in the 60" size yet so I was holding off on redoing the hood. Thanks.

It looks very nice, thanks for the pics DrComputer. Blurry_Eyed, it's good to hear that you are happy with XPEL and the full wrap availability. Do you have the entire car covered including headlights, bumper and all the painted areas? Can you share how much it cost? I wonder if the film is on, can you still or need to wax the car?

One other question to this forum is about tinting and not sure if this is the right place or belong to other forum, let me know. Does Model S have tinted windshields/windows? I live in the south and the heat is quite something during the summer. The UV protection is something I need now. I came across a product called lLumar which seems to be a good product, any comments guys?

One other question to this forum is about tinting and not sure if this is the right place or belong to other forum, let me know. Does Model S have tinted windshields/windows? I live in the south and the heat is quite something during the summer. The UV protection is something I need now. I came across a product called lLumar which seems to be a good product, any comments guys?

Other than the pano roof there is no tinting, but there is lots of UV blocking. Dark != UV blocking.

In particular, the windshield of the S looks clear but includes a solar shield film in the sandwich to reduce UV and heat load through that large, horizontal-equivalent area. The pano roof has, in addition, a very dark tint; I've never even felt the sun's radiation through the overhead glass and it doesn't need, in my opinion, the shade that is still a due bill item.

I haven't heard whether the side and rear glass panels have solar shield built in.

Thanks Stevezzz for the pano roof info. I didn't have a chance to test drive the car nor any S with the pano roof. I am debating whether I want the pano roof since I don't like the sun that much and living in the south, it is more hot than cold temperature unlike the California weather. I wonder how one feels feel about the pano roof when fully opened? Does it really feel like driving a convertible as advertised? Also, it looks like the side and rear windows need to be tinted/shielded.

I got the pano roof for the added headroom. I hardly ever open it, but I think it's fair to say that you would never mistake it for the feel of a true convertible: it's just a bigger sunroof.

As I said in my previous post, I don't know if the side and rear windows incorporate solar shield film, as the windshield does.