Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm with you and I've always been a "more power is better" car guy, but I think we're approaching a physical boundary, mostly due to the traction limitations of AWD. The 1200HP/1400TQ Sapphire is not really faster. The 0-60 run in 1,020HP Plaid is a medical event now for a lot of people. Drag racers will always look for the next tenth, but it's hard to make the case for much more than 1,000 HP in street cars.
I went from a P85 to 2023 long range Model S. New car is over a second quicker to 60mph. A 3.1 second car used to be supercar territory so for a daily commuter is more than quick enough for me at least.

Remind me: where is the speedometer on this pic? Yes, right. Hiden behind the steering wheel.

Capture d’écran 2024-01-14 à 16.32.33.png

Stupid design, arrogant and blatantly incompetent product mangement. Catastrophic leadership... Why do I have to look for an aftermarket steering wheel when buying a 100 K car. And why do I have to pay for being a guinea pig when "they" could have done a basic survey to find out that the new idea is indeed dumb and no thank you, let's keep the stalks???

You can use your own referral code. You will get the 3 months of fsd and 10,000 loyalty points. You can see the pending loyalty points in the app under history.

Of course, it looks like they removed anything of value from the loyalty points system, so the 10,000 points seem to be worthless right now. Previously you could get a wall connector or EAP, I think.
No soup for me

1705247209942.png

Remind me: where is the speedometer on this pic? Yes, right. Hiden behind the steering wheel.

View attachment 1008782
Stupid design, arrogant and blatantly incompetent product mangement. Catastrophic leadership... Why do I have to look for an aftermarket steering wheel when buying a 100 K car. And why do I have to pay for being a guinea pig when "they" could have done a basic survey to find out that the new idea is indeed dumb and no thank you, let's keep the stalks???
Well, as that’s the Parked view the answer would be nowhere. Like all cars, you can raise lower seat, and steering wheel to accommodate your preference vs judging it on a random internet photo.

Well, as that’s the Parked view the answer would be nowhere. Like all cars, you can raise lower seat, and steering wheel to accommodate your preference vs judging it on a random internet photo.
And that still doesn't work for some people. Again, a step backwards from older Model S for no perceivable gain. All for a yoke that isn't steer by wire.

And the speedometer is far off to the right and close the the steering wheel for me but I can still see it. Wasn't even a problem when it was right in the middle. They use far too much of the screen for the FSD animation. Even when not using FSD or Autopilot.

It's odd they are moving the horn back to the center of the steering wheel for the Model S, Model X, 3, and likely Y. Along with the Cybertruck since the current steering wheel/yoke is so popular.

The thing is, instrument cluster is all software skin, they should be changing the layout based on which steering wheel is installed. But no. We get goat fart door locking sounds 🤦‍♂️
Exactly. Round steering wheel should move more of the UI into the center well within view of even taller drivers. I can't see the headlight icons for example.

I took a Model S for a test drive. I am 182 cm (6 ft) tall and the only way to get a decent view of the speedometer resulted in poor seating comfort and ergonomy. The fact that this screenshot was from a parked car does not change the position of the speedometer which is always hidden.
And the crude fact remains: somebody should be fired for this.
Ah and maybe, just maybe, "they" could move or duplicate the speed indication towards the center of the screen as a workaround.

Reactions: teko and dsm363
I took a Model S for a test drive. I am 182 cm (6 ft) tall and the only way to get a decent view of the speedometer resulted in poor seating comfort and ergonomy. The fact that this screenshot was from a parked car does not change the position of the speedometer which is always hidden.
And the crude fact remains: somebody should be fired for this.
Ah and maybe, just maybe, "they" could move or duplicate the speed indication towards the center of the screen as a workaround.
Exactly. If I hold my hands at 10 and 2, my right hand covers the speed limit sign and part of the speedometer. They really only need to move things over an inch maybe to make it more useable. They are far too enamored with the fancy moving car FSD graphics. It’s nice but if you’re driving yourself, other data is more important.

Reactions: Gpa9504 and teko
Exactly. If I hold my hands at 10 and 2, my right hand covers the speed limit sign and part of the speedometer. They really only need to move things over an inch maybe to make it more useable. They are far too enamored with the fancy moving car FSD graphics. It’s nice but if you’re driving yourself, other data is more important.
I'm 6' tall as well and this is my view. I believe the speedometer reading is where the H is (approx). Not ideal and some of the screen is definitely blocked but I've made it work for me.

1705253324806.png

That is why I just don’t get round steering wheels with these newer digital displays. View is blocked. Does not matter if it is a Tesla, Lucid, BMW, Mercedes, etc it really ruins the whole experience. Would take the Yoke all day. The newer Lucid Gravity, at least as kind of a yoke and now you can see the digital drivers display.
I think long term plan from Tesla was steer-by-wire, but they jumped the shark with the yoke before that was implemented. Yoke with steer-by-wire would be fantastic.

That is why I just don’t get round steering wheels with these newer digital displays. View is blocked. Does not matter if it is a Tesla, Lucid, BMW, Mercedes, etc it really ruins the whole experience. Would take the Yoke all day. The newer Lucid Gravity, at least as kind of a yoke and now you can see the digital drivers display.
Well, here is a workaround. Granted, owners should not have to choose between a yoke that is a joke for parallel parking and a wheel that won't let you see the speedo.

Advantage is that SMT can display other info, like cell temp and max Regen and charging power.

Attachments

• 17052546339264668991310414598038.jpg
    17052546339264668991310414598038.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Like all cars, you can raise lower seat, and steering wheel to accommodate your preference...
n2mb_racing:

I'm not sure why it's an issue now and it wasn't in the last generation model S. The screen is the same size. Did we just get used to seeing all of it with the yoke?
Unfortunately, the steering wheel adjustment range of the current Model S is significantly smaller than my previous 2017 Model S.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsm363