Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the text to schedule delivery and they sent it to the wrong dealership. Yeah it’s technically closer to me, but it’s also a cramped dealership at the Raleigh location. I think it should be okay and not so chaotic seeing that I’ll have to pick it up during the week. They only gave me two week days as options, was hoping for a weekend option, which means I have to take off work and drive the 1:20 minutes one way to the dealership. I was also hoping to have the delivery experience with my wife on the weekend, but instead I’ll have to share it with my father-in-law because we both can’t take off of work 😂 I did send a text message asking about changing date and location and I’m awaiting a response.
Nice!

I ordered a day before you but didn't get the delivery text yet.

However, today the window changed from Oct 6-13 to Oct 3-10. interesting. Moved closer 3 days.

All the talk about inspecting the cars in this thread makes me nervous. Previously, I would just walk around the car for 10 seconds and then sit inside and off I go lol. Basically the same as a car rental.

Yeah, I'm not overly concerned, and I don't mind getting a car that was rejected and then repaired/corrected. But it would be nice to know what to check for.
Go in like you would any new car purchase. If you go in hunting for an issue with micrometers and a magnifying glass looking under the car you will likely find something minor. I walked around my car, took my time and didn’t find an issue. It’s a crazy awesome car, go in positive and you will leave happy as do most buyers. Congrats.

Reactions: teko
If you go in hunting for an issue with micrometers and a magnifying glass looking under the car you will likely find something minor. I walked around my car, took my time and didn’t find an issue.
Right. A side effect of all of Tesla's earlier build problems is hyper focus on it now. I recently watched this Alex on Autos MS review, and he had a BMW i4 next to it, which the panel gaps on the BMW were worse. He said a few times the MS is German level quality now, though I don't know if I'd go that far.

Modes S panel gaps vs. BMW at 4:36

I agree, and went into delivery looking for every flaw I could note. After having more time to go over the car post delivery, most of my concerns were crud masquerading as a scratch. I have a service appt for two tiny paint chips on the bottom of a rear passenger rocker. Unless obsessing you wouldn't find them. Other than that the paint looks perfect, no drips , no swirl, orange peel etc.. All the way through the jams. Just really good. Gaps look right on, interior, zero issues other than rear seat wireless charging is flaky.

I agree, and went into delivery looking for every flaw I could note. After having more time to go over the car post delivery, most of my concerns were crud masquerading as a scratch. I have a service appt for two tiny paint chips on the bottom of a rear passenger rocker. Unless obsessing you wouldn't find them. Other than that the paint looks perfect, no drips , no swirl, orange peel etc.. All the way through the jams. Just really good. Gaps look right on, interior, zero issues other than rear seat wireless charging is flaky.
Awesome ... seems essentially a perfect car with a couple paper cuts that sting for just a short time.

For reference I have a 2018 Porche 911 GTS and a 2018 Shelby GT350R. The interior quality of materials, fit and finish etc in the Porsche is better. The quality in the Tesla I received isn't far behind. Delivery 9-27-23, Ultra red. The Plaid is a little bit quicker lol! My other cars handle like sports cars. The Model S does not. As expected, and wanted.

Yes, the brakes suck. For the weight and performance I get it, read it, living it. But, for the price of admission to CCB, thats not for me. The rapid thrill of launching the car is the the party trick that keeps on giving. Dont go there if you may need to brake hard and in a hurry.

I took delivery of my car on Thursday the 28th, ordered it first week of September. I’m totally blown away and feel very fortunate by everything. Everytime I drive it it brings a giant smile to my face! I used the checklist and crawled all over the car and even the inside before I went in to see the Tesla reps. I can say for an all black car it was much better than I thought based on everything I read.

Last performance car I purchased was a 2018 ZL1 and I would say my Tesla paint quality was/is the same. The only real difference is my Tesla is black and black shows all, my ZL1 was a metallic blue that hide imperfections pretty well unless looking at the right angle and light. PPF and windows tints will be installed this week.

Today was the first time charging and playing with FSD. i’m in nerd heaven!

Attachments

• IMG_3744.jpeg
    IMG_3744.jpeg
    559.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3743.jpeg
    IMG_3743.jpeg
    609.5 KB · Views: 81
I took delivery of my car on Thursday the 28th, ordered it first week of September. I’m totally blown away and feel very fortunate by everything. Everytime I drive it it brings a giant smile to my face! I used the checklist and crawled all over the car and even the inside before I went in to see the Tesla reps. I can say for an all black car it was much better than I thought based on everything I read.

Last performance car I purchased was a 2018 ZL1 and I would say my Tesla paint quality was/is the same. The only real difference is my Tesla is black and black shows all, my ZL1 was a metallic blue that hide imperfections pretty well unless looking at the right angle and light. PPF and windows tints will be installed this week.

Congrats- Beautiful Car!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Well they lied. They apparently will not try to sand and buff. They stated that even with a fender replacement, they will still have to repaint and blend. So their only solution is to repaint and blend the fender with the front driver’s door and the front of the car.

Woof, that all black with red calipers is fire!

Well they lied. They apparently will not try to sand and buff. They stated that even with a fender replacement, they will still have to repaint and blend. So their only solution is to repaint and blend the fender with the front driver’s door and the front of the car.
Looked back at the pic you posted, it isn't right that you have to deal with this but I wonder if it would ever cause a problem. Have you asked another body shop about it. Repainting and blending could be a problem in the long run also.

Reactions: aerodyne
Looked back at the pic you posted, it isn't right that you have to deal with this but I wonder if it would ever cause a problem. Have you asked another body shop about it. Repainting and blending could be a problem in the long run also.
I haven’t. Just Tesla. It’s more than just that drip, it dimples near the repeater. I agree, it’s *sugar* that they have to do that. With that being said, I’m also concerned if I take it back without their repair I’m SoL. They offered me a paltry $500 service credit…lol…and that’s if I don’t get it done. So unprofessional. I should’ve expected nothing less.

It would eventually flake off, exposing whatever metal/plastic is underneath leading to oxidation/corrosion/increased paint wear. You definitely deserve a repaint. Sorry that happened to you. I've seen a couple of the new Mustang Dark horses have the same issue.

I haven’t. Just Tesla. It’s more than just that drip, it dimples near the repeater. I agree, it’s *sugar* that they have to do that. With that being said, I’m also concerned if I take it back without their repair I’m SoL. They offered me a paltry $500 service credit…lol…and that’s if I don’t get it done. So unprofessional. I should’ve expected nothing less.
I spoke to the service manager. It appears the fender was “stamped” incorrectly in the folding process. I was told it’s an easy process to fix but may result in paint chipping. They are moving the car, via tow, from the third party certified body shop to the Tesla collision center in Aliso Viejo. I caved at this point. I could fight it, but no guarantee a replacement car has fewer issues. Now the big stress is whether or not they've messed anything else up after. We’ll find out in 5-7 days.

I spoke to the service manager. It appears the fender was “stamped” incorrectly in the folding process. I was told it’s an easy process to fix but may result in paint chipping. They are moving the car, via tow, from the third party certified body shop to the Tesla collision center in Aliso Viejo. I caved at this point. I could fight it, but no guarantee a replacement car has fewer issues. Now the big stress is whether or not they've messed anything else up after. We’ll find out in 5-7 days.
Make sure they don't spin out the rivnut attaching the front bumper cover to the front of the fender