Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you just confirmed last night then I'd give it a week or so, and if you haven't heard from your Owner Advisor by then you should follow-up. Mine e-mailed me within a couple days of confirming.

Mine took about 6 weeks to get back to me, but I'm still a month out from delivery, so the time frames may be slower not that there is more of a delivery backlog.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add: delivery date September 15th

Me too! I'm also in Texas, and will be picking mine up at the Dallas location. I assume you'll be at the Austin location, but our cars are likely to share the same delivery truck.

Okay I received my final bill yesterday via email. Late last week the DS said to expect delivery 1st week in September. Confirmed 6/5. Should I pay the bill or wait for a firm delivery date? Will paying early influence shipping early?

Okay I received my final bill yesterday via email. Late last week the DS said to expect delivery 1st week in September. Confirmed 6/5. Should I pay the bill or wait for a firm delivery date? Will paying early influence shipping early?

I don't think you can pay yet... Unless they changed something on their site. The bill you got is likely just the invoicing you will need to give your financial institution if you are getting a loan or to keep for your records. Normally they don't give you your true final billing until a week or two before delivery. And no paying now doesn't speed anything up. You just have to pay before they will give you the keys. That means you can take a casheres check with you or whatever... Which you might have to do anyway, since depending on your bank they might not let you do a wire transfer over a couple grand.

Speaking from experience. I had a 25,000$ Check and my financing check with me the day I took delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

And just a note anyone who us getting financing. Your approval loan check is only good for 30 days. I advise you to wait until about 3 weeks out from delivery to start that process so you will have some overlap in case there are any delays.

chickenevil - thanks for the feedback. It seems each day I get closer to the delivery date I get a little less sleep.

I have totally been there. I used every little update in progress to help me bide my time as I waited. As you get closer you will also want to make sure you look to get your charging setup. If you ordered it, Tesla can ship your HPWC pretty much whenever you would need it, otherwise you will get it about 2 weeks out. If you are going to be getting any electrical work done (that you are not going to do yourself), I recommend you start that search now. Unless you get lucky and get a good solid hit on the first go around (sometimes they will come out for the estimate, and then never get back with you on said estimate). And if you have to do anything that involves changing your meter or adding a second meter you need to get the install started early so you can have the Power company install the new metering, and then have all the appropriate inspections done.

My experience, I had the first visit 2 weeks prior to delivery and didn't get it fully installed and operational until 2 weeks after delivery. This is by far the most frustrating part of the experience! Nothing like being forced to charge at 2kW when you have a perfectly good and working 20kW charger sitting right there, hooked up, with no power going through it because you are waiting on an inspection and meter install...

Something I know they used to be really great about is if you confirm and want to change something on your configuration, they have been pretty accommodating. I switched from standard seating to leather well after I confirmed and they were able to make it happen. The one thing I will point out about doing that, is don't wait until the week before your car is expected to go into production to do that or they likely won't be able to make it happen. They are also not required to honor your request, but as I said, my and others experiences in this regard has been pretty positive.

Might I ask what option you are on the fence about?

Chickensevil - thanks for the reassuring words. I wanted to read up about tan leather and the pano. Tan leather because I fear it will show dirt (it sounds like it is not an issue and easy to clean). The pano because I was not sure about the noise when open. My BMW 740 is relatively quiet when the sunroof is open while my wife's brand new Passat is almost unbearable. Also, would it kill them to add some front and rear seat storage? I have to special order a center console on a $80K car? Anyway, I'm getting it for everything else, so minor nit (true for any carI suspect).

Chickensevil - thanks for the reassuring words. I wanted to read up about tan leather and the pano. Tan leather because I fear it will show dirt (it sounds like it is not an issue and easy to clean). The pano because I was not sure about the noise when open. My BMW 740 is relatively quiet when the sunroof is open while my wife's brand new Passat is almost unbearable. Also, would it kill them to add some front and rear seat storage? I have to special order a center console on a $80K car? Anyway, I'm getting it for everything else, so minor nit (true for any carI suspect).

No problem! About the roof, I guess that depends on how fast you are driving. The "comfort" setting is currently at 75% which is primarily to reduce buffeting. If you still get that, then you need to put your rear windows down a bit (like 2 or 3 inches is usually enough), really depends on how the wind is catching the car at the time. After removing that noise, the only noise that remains in the wind noise. There isn't anything you can really do about wind noise, since it is loud because of how much air is being caught by the open roof and rushing inside. If this was "quiet" on your other car, then I would argue that it wasn't doing it's job, which is to intentionally catch air and pull it inside.

But the buffeting noise, if that is what you are worried about can be eliminated by finding an appropriate opening level (which is currently 75%) and if that fails roll down the back windows a bit.

Please be aware that if you intend to ever get or use a roof rack, that you must get the pano roof.

chickenevil- HPWC installed. Model S due early September. I probably could have passed on this but my personality some times wants things NOW so I got the fastest charger for the home I could. BTW is it true I am limited to one post for each month I have been a member? I am almost at my limit :)

chickenevil- HPWC installed. Model S due early September. I probably could have passed on this but my personality some times wants things NOW so I got the fastest charger for the home I could. BTW is it true I am limited to one post for each month I have been a member? I am almost at my limit :)

Wow that is awful early, I am surprised they gave it to you that quick. Guess that supports what I was saying above that you just need to ask, that or they have just started giving them out sooner than before. Either way this is a good thing :)

I honestly got it because I am doing a time of use meter on just the car and I only get a 5 hour window for the lowest price point. So I had to ensure that I always or almost always get in that window. I have also been happy to have it when I came home from work one day and had to turn around and get headed out for a weekend trip. So wanted a quick top off so I didn't have to spend as long at the first supercharger stop.

Hope you like it, and glad you got it installed!

About the post limit I think the only restrictions is your first 5 or so posts are locked to needing admin approval to reduce/avoid spammers and such. You should be free and clear to post to your hearts content at this point. If there were other restrictions like that I wouldn't have over 1000 posts now :D

I'm surprised I don't have any more information other than "Late September." I ordered on 7/3 and it is now mid-August. Any idea on time it takes to build a Model S?

I'm currently in the process of selling my house and moving and trying to figure out when my car is getting here and when I can close on the house so I can hurry up and install a 240V outlet at the house...

With your proximity to Fremont your car will likely go into production about 1.5 weeks before you take delivery. By last information I had, it took 3 days to build a car, and then 1-2 weeks to ship it to US customers. You will stay in "sourcing parts" until then.

That said, you can contact your DS and inform them of your situation and he should be able to give you an estimated production start date and a tentative delivery date. Both of which would be subject to change, since you are still at least a month away from taking delivery. Hope that helps!

SkiWA - talked to my DS yesterday he said 2 days to build. Maybe the build time is shorter with the new line, not sure. I confirmed my order 6/5 with deliver in September, 9/4 potential. If I were you I would seriously consider taking a long weekend and pickup your car in Fremont. You would need to workout the details with you DS.

Congrats on your car. The wait doesn't get any better.

It's interesting to note the different experiences here. I heard from my DS one week after confirmation, and we immediately set up a date and time for my pick-up. It may be that my service center was eager to get the time and date sorted out because it sounded like they were going to be slammed with deliveries at the end of September.

Since I have a date for delivery, I have to say that the wait isn't too bad because I know it will be worth it. And last week I had a nice surprise, my Wall Connector had been delivered to the house. So I'm working on getting it installed, which occupies me while I wait for the car. In addition, I have been dropping my local detailer and checking out his Model S work, so that gives me something else to get excited about.

It's interesting to note the different experiences here. I heard from my DS one week after confirmation, and we immediately set up a date and time for my pick-up. It may be that my service center was eager to get the time and date sorted out because it sounded like they were going to be slammed with deliveries at the end of September.

Since I have a date for delivery, I have to say that the wait isn't too bad because I know it will be worth it. And last week I had a nice surprise, my Wall Connector had been delivered to the house. So I'm working on getting it installed, which occupies me while I wait for the car. In addition, I have been dropping my local detailer and checking out his Model S work, so that gives me something else to get excited about.

Very true! It seems some people have a DS that's very proactive right from the beginning, and others have to go hunting theirs with a tranquilizer gun and butterfly net, but eventually they all do seem to start talking and are (generally) very helpful in setting expectations and getting ready to go for the big delivery date.

. . . hunting theirs with a tranquilizer gun and butterfly net . . . .

DS Meme.jpg

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

PSA -- Please don't hunt your DS. The call will come eventually.

SkiWA - talked to my DS yesterday he said 2 days to build. Maybe the build time is shorter with the new line, not sure.

I will take that, thank you! My information was from March at best and at worst much older than that. So it is very likely to have improved given they are pushing a higher number of cars through a single process (well, overall single, I think some places have two separate lines to them, but most of the key parts are a single line right now). So when I ordered they were doing about 500-600 a week, by July they were doing 800, and now they should be closer to 1000 if not already there. I would expect a start to finish build taking 1.5 days (from the old 3 days) when they are fully at 1k a week on the single line.

Anyway, your comment makes sense, and thank you for posting that information!