Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's traction/stability control has always been a marvel likely do to the much shorter time constant for the BeV drive line. The Plaid delivers power on what must be close or slightly over the traction limit of the tires and the TC spends all of its time making small power corrections. The car just feels like it is skittering across the road with small bits of yaw. The yaw is exacerbated by uneven pulling of your arms against one side of the yoke or the other which can lead to a bit of a "pilot induced oscillation" type thing where you weave side to side a tad bit. Like all other Teslas, it is all perfectly controllable but definitely closer to the edge.

As for you folks looking for 3G (not the cell coverage), I've done this both lateral and longitudinal. It's fun on the track but I'm not really sure I'm up for it on the street; you can call me a chicken :)

View attachment 703015
Thanks for sharing, that definitely looks like a graph but i have no idea what it means! Care to translate it for simple minded folk? Apologies for the ignorance.

Tomorrow I’m having a Radenso RC M radar detector with laser jammers installed on my Plaid and they’ll need access to my frunk for installation (so I can’t put it in valet mode) and they plan to test drive it against laser radars.
Do you have any pictures of what it'll look like when its done? I definitely want to get the same setup but I'm afraid of how the laser jammers will make the car look.

Anyone gotten parking assist to work? It still hasn’t appeared for me.
I can’t understand why functions that used to work with my older Tesla’s aren’t working now. Is that because of the change to Tesla Vision?
Sorry for being OT
Don't apologize, 50% of the discussion in this thread OT otherwise we'd just be complaining all day.

On second thought, I guess we do complain all day.

I can’t understand why functions that used to work with my older Tesla’s aren’t working now. Is that because of the change to Tesla Vision?

Have you gotten the 2021.32.5 update yet? As that is the update that officially adds the AutoPark features to the current Model S.

Last edited:
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Sorry for being OT
@bananaheim It begins to work with release 2021.35, that released a few days ago (not to us and @WilliamG however).

• Helpful
Have you gotten the 2021.32.5 update yet, as that is the update that officially adds the AutoPark features to the current Model S.
You hit a sore point. Those of us in the Legacy Plaid Club (I’m an honorary LR member) have not received any updates. We are on 4.9. At least two of us have had our cars since 8/13.

My issue with NOS, per se, is that it is not a sustained power. Batteries offer much more sustainable and repeatable power. Someone can run the Plaid in the 1/4 mile a boat load of times before the SOC becomes an issue (like a 2% hit per 1/4 mile?). With NOS, it really has limited utility for overall vehicle performance. I like a car that has the same power you can drag race, roll race, roadcourse, etc, , and is available any time all the time for the most part. Don't get me wrong I think NOS is an effective way and cheap way to boost power. When I modded ICE cars in the past I sought other power adder options for the reason I described above. And I do akin the boosters to that of NOS, much like @2021plaid did.
But the boosters could very well be repeatable. If that technology comes to fruition, just like Tesla performance wasn’t repeatable until this generation.

My issue with 2021plaid’s position is that it seems arbitrary. His postion on seeing it as too much power, while accepting the rediculous performance of the Plaid, is short sighted. I think the CoF limit is fast approaching, and the next natural step will be acceleration without consideration of tire traction.

Just think of how this would be sold. Less tire wear because all they do now is roll and apply lateral friction for cornering. Reverse thrusters could even reduce tire wear during extreme breaking. It’s how large aircraft slow down currently.

2021plaid: “Good god no! You can’t put thrusters on an airplane! That’s for rockets! Props and turbines only or you are cheating.”

2021plaid: “Thrusters on a speed boat? That’s insane! Propellers are fast enough. Are you trying to kill someone?!”

Just having fun with 2021plaid 😀
Now where did I put that EV NOS schematic…

Sorry for being OT
It maybe because you are on old software version.
Have you tried parking your car with nose pointing towards the mothership (Fremont) ? That might do the trick 😀

Awesome, thanks. Yeah black should definitely hide it well. I'm getting red so it'll stand out sadly, but perhaps I could paint them red?

How much did it run you if you dont mind me asking?
The system was $3850–I will give you the final amount tomorrow after install (as the install is an hourly rate with an install max of $1000).

Oh, yes—they might be able to paint them. I’ll ask the shop tomorrow so you’ll know.

Tesla's traction/stability control has always been a marvel likely do to the much shorter time constant for the BeV drive line. The Plaid delivers power on what must be close or slightly over the traction limit of the tires and the TC spends all of its time making small power corrections. The car just feels like it is skittering across the road with small bits of yaw. The yaw is exacerbated by uneven pulling of your arms against one side of the yoke or the other which can lead to a bit of a "pilot induced oscillation" type thing where you weave side to side a tad bit. Like all other Teslas, it is all perfectly controllable but definitely closer to the edge.

As for you folks looking for 3G (not the cell coverage), I've done this both lateral and longitudinal. It's fun on the track but I'm not really sure I'm up for it on the street; you can call me a chicken :)

View attachment 703015

Thank you for your data
I have a friend who won on this track but it was 20 years ago

• Informative
Lovely tires. They also do not last like the 4S and get a bit sporty in the rain :)
For sure. I had them on my 911 at Sonoma Raceway and it started raining for a little bit and I couldn’t do squat with them. Whenever I put my foot down I would just lose traction instantly. As soon as it dried up I caught up and overtook a V10 awd R8. I’d recommend them only for track use.

But the boosters could very well be repeatable. If that technology comes to fruition, just like Tesla performance wasn’t repeatable until this generation.

My issue with 2021plaid’s position is that it seems arbitrary. His postion on seeing it as too much power, while accepting the rediculous performance of the Plaid, is short sighted. I think the CoF limit is fast approaching, and the next natural step will be acceleration without consideration of tire traction.

Just think of how this would be sold. Less tire wear because all they do now is roll and apply lateral friction for cornering. Reverse thrusters could even reduce tire wear during extreme breaking. It’s how large aircraft slow down currently.

2021plaid: “Good god no! You can’t put thrusters on an airplane! That’s for rockets! Props and turbines only or you are cheating.”

2021plaid: “Thrusters on a speed boat? That’s insane! Propellers are fast enough. Are you trying to kill someone?!”

Just having fun with 2021plaid 😀
Now where did I put that EV NOS schematic…
Ok, so why don't we make flying cars then? It just hovers around. No tire wear lol! What I'm trying to say here is that no one understands that this is rockets! Normal people have a hard enough time handling power when it's proportional to the braking. Astronauts have to go through countless rigorous training to be able to control and survive rockets. This will not work for practical purposes. When people went to EV, at least it is car related. This is a one off type of deal anyways; one that only Tesla will be doing, so I'm not even sure sometimes why we're having this debate.

Additionally, cars are nowhere near the end of the line of performance on tires. Tire tech isn't done. Battery tech is hundreds of years from being finalized. This means that there wouldn't be anymore battery advancements, as there wouldn't need to be. This path you describe would mean these would be becoming more jets than cars. Jets have never come down in price. Jets and rockets are also old technology. This isn't Tesla's style. Tesla takes what they have, and innovates, not using an older crutch to better performance. I personally IMO think this is one of Elon's fun gimmicks, and one that will be used for demos and to claim world's fastest 0-60, and nothing else. :)

Last edited: