Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s literally not a single thing you can do with someone’s VIN, other than find out their trade in value 😅. Ever hear of VIN fraud? 😅 If you think someone can “copy” your VIN to their car then in theory they can literally just change their VIN to any VIN with random last 3 digits to “get many things”
A while ago. car thieves were stealing cars by social engineering Support with a VIN in hand. There is also a proof of concept for hacking access to a car with a used body control module bought off e-bay. Doesn't hurt to be circumspect with the info, IMO.

Last edited:
If there was clear on that surface, there is the possibility of forgoing the basecoat and simply scuffing and clearing, no blending necessary. This was my reason for asking. Frankly, I’m very skeptical that there is no clear on the surface. But I’m not there and can’t see the vehicle and obviously can’t be certain.
I took the car to a high end detail, PPF, and tint shop for paint correction and ceramic coating. These guys work on paint all day long. They were able to remove all of the deep sanding scratches that the car was delivered with, but informed me about the lack of clear coat. Said I needed to get the car to a body shop ASAP. The paint is dull and rough to the touch. Feels like a chalkboard even after a 3 stage paint correction. Unfortunately, there is no clear coat. I certainly wish there was after hearing your analysis of needing a full base coat and blending.

1625890838877.jpeg

Last edited:
There’s literally not a single thing you can do with someone’s VIN, other than find out their trade in value 😅. Ever hear of VIN fraud? 😅 If you think someone can “copy” your VIN to their car then in theory they can literally just change their VIN to any VIN with random last 3 digits to “get many things”
A completely improbable and not so likely scenario specific to Teslas and their delivery mechanisms could also be that a bad faith actor who sees a full VIN posted and is in the same city then uses the info to convince and get the car assigned to themselves. (Holy run-on sentence, Batman!)

This scenario is so improbable that I don’t even know why I am typing it besides being bored and addicted to this thread and throwing some spice into an otherwise rather dull thread. 😜 Like the number of people who have to collude to make that possible is so large that if anyone actually accomplishes this I wouldn’t even be mad lol.

You just need to ask your SA for your cars production date and they will give you an exact day.
But if it turns out to be old / from the lot of doom, what can be done to rectify that? I’m sure that’s an automatic trip to the back of the line. I’m sure all of the ghost lot cars have 19s , so at this point no one has gotten any yet

It never ceases to astound me just how much has changed with the internet.

People that grew up with it or work in the industry know this intuitively but things have changed. Duh, I know.

In the ole days you had a chance to see the scammer and intuitively recoil from the interaction. Ananimity provides a shield which (1) increases and emboldens bad actors and (2) removes one of your primary defenses from being scammed, taken or otherwise screwed over. If you are of a certain age (I am) you have to learn this as opposed to knowing it.

Please do not ever underestimate the scumbagery that is the underbelly of human nature. These people are far more imaginative than you when it comes to what they can and will do with any shred of information once you pop up on their radar.

Anyone been able to set up test drives yet while we wait?
There's no inventory to test drive.

When I picked up my Plaid, I was chatting with the SA and he said that they don't expect a refresh test drive car until probably early 2022 or so due to inventory, and even the used MS are immediately snapped up so it's not worth keeping around.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
My membership in the Blank Club has come to an end. It’s been around 30-days since my Estimated Delivery changed from June to Blank. 30-Days of laughter, tears, anticipation, anxiety, and friendships formed with my fellow “blankies” in the cruel Groundhogs day that is having a blank date.

To all those who are still members, be proud of your blankness. It is part of who you are. Embrace the emptiness. Though I may now have a date range now, my heart will always be blank with you guys in solidarity.

With that, I say good bye to the Blank Clubs and hello to the July 24-August 07 club. Does anyone know where the coffee and donuts are?