Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pick up my MSP grey/white int/19”/wheel Tuesday. Driving straight to the installer for matte PPF.

Here’s my question. I know I will get flamed for this. My wife has a 2024 Cayenne S E-hybrid coming in a few months and getting clear self healing PPF. She will be using an automatic car wash. I assume the swirls will self heal?

I know automatic car washes are the devil but this is an argument not worth having with her anymore.

Flame on for sure ;)

Depends on the car wash. If it's touchless, then the bigger issue is water stain buildup unless it's one of those better touchless that recycle, filter and completely deionize the water (i.e. water softener).

If it's the kind with the spinning brushes, then yes full body self healing PPF will self heal but won't do so forever and it's self healing properties won't last as long with repeated abuses like that. Ironically, incorrect manual washing can be worse than spinning brushes on a carwash.

Neither of my Tesla's have ever been through an automatic carwash but my wife's Prius has :(

Reactions: Septocaine
The beginning of my EDD window has passed. I'm expecting another push back of that. Still no VIN.

It looks like at least 3 of us are waiting for a LR UR in central TX.

Same. Now two days in the past. Even when it was updating, it would sometimes be in the middle of the night and sometimes in the morning leading me to believe it was manually updated every day by a human. I think they've given up now due to the hold with no definitive end date.

Yes, it was incredibly frustrating to me because all had some form of difficulties and most didn't end up being usable. I ultimately used Intesigroup because it was the only one that I could get to work. I'm not sure why they required this third party authentication. It seemed like overkill to me.
Ok, I reached back out to them. They said I could also print it out and send it back. Seems odd I can buy a car for >$80k and get financing without verification, but need to jump through hoops to sign a simple form. But I guess they really do not want to do the transfers.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
Flame on for sure ;)

Depends on the car wash. If it's touchless, then the bigger issue is water stain buildup unless it's one of those better touchless that recycle, filter and completely deionize the water (i.e. water softener).

If it's the kind with the spinning brushes, then yes full body self healing PPF will self heal but won't do so forever and it's self healing properties won't last as long with repeated abuses like that. Ironically, incorrect manual washing can be worse than spinning brushes on a carwash.

Neither of my Tesla's have ever been through an automatic carwash but my wife's Prius has :(
She uses the automatic spinning brush car wash. That’s good it will self heal. Hopefully the PPF will protect from swirls for at least 4 years.

As an update, I got my VIN for my red Model S LR, white interior, wheel, 19" almost immediately after ordering (2024 VIN) and just now Tesla has reached out to me to discuss delivery options. I'm not sure if I'm on some sort of fast track but I'll keep people posted. Maybe the EPA stuff is lifting.
Hopefully it is resolved, but if not the delivery options are probably mid March to April.

I've been debating PPF for this inbound MSP mostly because I'll probably keep it awhile, and I drive a lot of highway, high-speed miles which seems to shot blast the paint, irrespective of brand. However, I've been a PPF detractor mostly due to the silly cost - for what some of these guys charge you can repaint an entire car. If I did it, I might give Drive Protected's DIY program a go. Thoughts on any of that?
I have found some of the DIY to be a big pain, so I paid to have mine done. I was not a big PPF guy, but when I began hand washing my car, I would see every ding and scratch. So, I put front PPF on my Lighting, only to have something scratch the tailgate. So when our Rivian came in, I did a full wrap. Good thing I did, 1 week into ownership, my wife did not pull it in the garage all the way and the door hinges hit all the way down. PPF took 100% of the damage. replaced the 2 pieces and all good. I am sold on it if only to avoid the frustration.

As an update, I got my VIN for my red Model S LR, white interior, wheel, 19" almost immediately after ordering (2024 VIN) and just now Tesla has reached out to me to discuss delivery options. I'm not sure if I'm on some sort of fast track but I'll keep people posted. Maybe the EPA stuff is lifting.
that’s great news ! What delivery options did they provide you?

Reactions: BBartoli
Probably means nothing but figured I'd share.

IMG_1891.jpeg

I pick up my MSP grey/white int/19”/wheel Tuesday. Driving straight to the installer for matte PPF.

Here’s my question. I know I will get flamed for this. My wife has a 2024 Cayenne S E-hybrid coming in a few months and getting clear self healing PPF. She will be using an automatic car wash. I assume the swirls will self heal?

I know automatic car washes are the devil but this is an argument not worth having with her anymore.
The PPF could handle it but definitely not as good as hand washing or touch less. The concern I have in this case are the edges being pulled up. Just make sure your installer wraps ALL possible edges. Let them know your gonna mistreat your car with automatic car washes.

Just got a call from Tesla to come test drive the car even though I ordered it already. I asked him if the 2024 MSLR now has the horn in middle and he proceeded to tell me they only have the button. Also asked if there are any delays now and he said no if anything I may get the car earlier but no delays LOL. Do they not communicate internally ?

Just got a call from Tesla to come test drive the car even though I ordered it already. I asked him if the 2024 MSLR now has the horn in middle and he proceeded to tell me they only have the button. Also asked if there are any delays now and he said no if anything I may get the car earlier but no delays LOL. Do they not communicate internally ?
Somehow I think this SA doesn't know anything.

If the PPF is still in good shape, I'd pay a little extra but the real extra is what I'd pay for undamaged paint. Pretty sure that's why I got so much for my P85DL 7 years old and 135K. It's paint was flawless. No dings, dents, swirls, paint chips, etc. Full PPF front, refreshed ceramic every year (self applied) everywhere else.
Glass half full view Full PPF, annual Ceramic application, $$$$ plus time invested did you Really get more for the car in the end game? I suspect break even at best.

Reactions: adcustom