Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That could very well be. I was focusing conversation on the 2024 MS, I didn't wander into MX or other vehicle territory. My goal was to discover if it was going to be made available for my year; no bueno.

No vibrations or rattles or abnormal wind noises as I put 50 miles on the way home.

Quite strange to drive without the music on unless its a nice summer day with windows and sunroof open. Mostly toll road/freeway driving. Tried suspension on high and mid; avoiding low. Tease me, I set it for chill. The revised goal going home was to avoid ice chunks flying off semi trailers or already skating across the roadway. Fingers crossed 50 becomes 50000 troublefree miles.

I don't get the earlier comments about not being able to see everything on the instrument cluster with a steering wheel. I could. Sure I could move the wheel or seat into positions that would block some view but why?

Forgot to mention no wrinkles on the seats.

Last item. I asked about reporting defects post delivery. I was told 24 hours / 1 day. I was surprised. Validated it is not 3 days as I believe I read elsewhere on the forum.
It's been over a month since I took delivery and about 600 miles. My car is at the SC right now getting some post delivery issues sorted out. Not sure what the 3 days thing means.

1. My driver's side rear seat is rattling at very low speeds. Well known issue that some SC's are fixing with electrical tape on the mount. That aint gonna cut it for me, so we'll see how Angelo does with that repair.
2. I noticed during delivery that the passenger side rear wheel was out of alignment. way too much toe out, so they're doing an alignment for me.
3. The passenger rear tail light is loose. Will tighten

With regards to vibrations. I do feel a bit of a vibration between 38 and 42 mph. Feel it in the accelerator. I just accelerate harder. Don't seem to feel it anymore :D. No vibration or anything weird in the 80mph range. Did a 300+ mile drive and varied speeds from 70mph to 90mph and it was smooth and quiet as can be.

Wishing you many miles of a smooth and comfortable ride!

Reactions: ICUDoc
1. My driver's side rear seat is rattling at very low speeds. Well known issue that some SC's are fixing with electrical tape on the mount. That aint gonna cut it for me, so we'll see how Angelo does with that repair.
May you find your way here Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle curious what their fix for you is. They tried tape, my seats / latch chewed through it. Without ever being open and closed.

May you find your way here Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle curious what their fix for you is. They tried tape, my seats / latch chewed through it. Without ever being open and closed.
I get the feeling they're going to try the same thing on me but I have it in writing from whoever the AI bot is behind the Tesla message app that they will fix it with parts and not with duct tape or electrical tape (as much as that matters lol)

1705548598251.png

Welcome to the club. Also your service people are clueless. The new steering wheel is already out, complete with regular horn activation.

Help me out here... I'm old and blind. Now, maybe it's just the angle I took this pic from, but doesn't it seem to you guys that there is more open space above the center of the wheel here? I'm looking at the geometry and I'm trying to figure out what angle I would have to be at to take this pic to make it look the same and I can't figure it out. The new wheel looks like the "cross bar" is actually below center where as my wheel, it's above center. Maybe it's lens correction too. My loaner has a joke so I can't check it.

wheelcomparison.jpg

Help me out here... I'm old and blind. Now, maybe it's just the angle I took this pic from, but doesn't it seem to you guys that there is more open space above the center of the wheel here? I'm looking at the geometry and I'm trying to figure out what angle I would have to be at to take this pic to make it look the same and I can't figure it out. The new wheel looks like the "cross bar" is actually below center where as my wheel, it's above center. Maybe it's lens correction too. My loaner has a joke so I can't check it.

View attachment 1009926
No, it's just the angle of the photo, vertically, and the zoom level of the cameras that vary. It's been brought up a few times over the last year even, but... nope. Can pretty much guarantee these are the same physical dimensions.

View attachment 1009926
To add to @WilliamG, also looks like the wheel is lowered entirely.

Reactions: WilliamG
It's been over a month since I took delivery and about 600 miles. My car is at the SC right now getting some post delivery issues sorted out. Not sure what the 3 days thing means.

2. I noticed during delivery that the passenger side rear wheel was out of alignment. way too much toe out, so they're doing an alignment for me.
3. The passenger rear tail light is loose. Will tighten

With regards to vibrations. I do feel a bit of a vibration between 38 and 42 mph. Feel it in the accelerator. I just accelerate harder. Don't seem to feel it anymore :D. No vibration or anything weird in the 80mph range. Did a 300+ mile drive and varied speeds from 70mph to 90mph and it was smooth and quiet as can be.

Wishing you many miles of a smooth and comfortable ride!
What software version do you have?

I wrapped mine with cloth tape and the rattle was gone. Lasted the two years I had the car. I can't believe that's still an issue after three years of production.

That's a good question. When I get it back, I'll do some testing. The start of my drive is in my neighborhood with low speed limits. After that, I'm through that speed delta pretty quickly, so haven't really paid attention. I will now
I think they covered over the continuous vibration between 40 and 50 mph, but the start up vibration is still there. Supposedly it goes away after driving a mile. I don't know for sure, Tesla bought my car back before the update came out.

I think they covered over the continuous vibration between 40 and 50 mph, but the start up vibration is still there. Supposedly it goes away after driving a mile. I don't know for sure, Tesla bought my car back before the update came out.
That’s about how my car is. Start up vibration is still present (and is strong enough that it would not be acceptable at all if it lasted for more than the short duration). Other vibration is 99% gone — once in a while ai can very briefly detect something that feels similar.

I wrapped mine with cloth tape and the rattle was gone. Lasted the two years I had the car. I can't believe that's still an issue after three years of production.
No clue what Tesla used, but it did not resolve the issue on either side of my car. I am going through the pains of forcing them to fix it. Tape is not a suitable fix on a car at this price point.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
No clue what Tesla used, but it did not resolve the issue on either side of my car. I am going through the pains of forcing them to fix it. Tape is not a suitable fix on a car at this price point.
I know. It's really dumb. I thought there was a revised part number that fixed the rattle. But, I guess not if you just received a car with it. This is the rear seat backs, right? If you put the rear seats down, the rattle goes away, right?

I get the feeling they're going to try the same thing on me but I have it in writing from whoever the AI bot is behind the Tesla message app that they will fix it with parts and not with duct tape or electrical tape (as much as that matters lol)

View attachment 1009924
Is the rattle you hear more of like a knocking/rattle noise? Definitely heard at low speeds. I took my new MSP in for service for that and they told me they “found the hood bump stomps were adjusted too high” they readjusted and “verified no more noise present”. Yeah. No. The noise is still there and I really don’t want to go through the friggin hassle of service again! Ughh. Now I will def focus on the rear seat latch.

Reactions: cwanja
I know. It's really dumb. I thought there was a revised part number that fixed the rattle. But, I guess not if you just received a car with it. This is the rear seat backs, right? If you put the rear seats down, the rattle goes away, right?
My car is a November/2021 build. The rear seat thread has pretty much died down, but hearing @Grumble report it in a recent pickup is concerning as you say.

Yes, if you put the seats down it goes away. I have both a rattle and a chirp.

Reactions: Snardy