Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd hold off if I were you. I'd definitely not be buying a Tesla Model S or 3 at the moment. I sense changes right around the corner. And yes, I know Tesla is always making changes, but it feels like they are right around the corner.
It will be two weeks after I pick up my MSP.

My luck:

My late Sept 2014 MS 85 was dethroned with the 85D in 9 days.

My current 2017 MS 100D was dethroned by a revised MCU (2) even though my vehicle got the later AP HW the same week.

This 2023 MSP purchase will cause the Plaid Plus and/or the Roadster v2 to be brought back or radical changes like lower cost non-beta FSD that still would put fear in me.

Just my two cents.

I can't see how they would let the performance of the Model 3 get close to that of the Model S, otherwise it is going to cut into sales of the S.
I cannot see the demographic that wants a faster 3 going for the "boat" they call a Model S. Sure there will be some cannibalization, but I definitely think there is a market for Model 3 owners who want a faster 3 without the extra bells and whistles of the S.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I guess the people worried about resale value on a 2023 could have gotten Ultra red for free to offset the resale hit on a one month difference in build. That's the games people play with waiting and Tesla. Win some with new features, lose sometimes with price. It's a tough thing to time perfectly.

I think a couple of us threaded the Tesla needle this time… no change to my order for the reinsertion of paint fees. The CT upcharges have me worried as a precedent, but a reservation isn’t an order…
I'd hold off if I were you. I'd definitely not be buying a Tesla Model S or 3 at the moment. I sense changes right around the corner. And yes, I know Tesla is always making changes, but it feels like they are right around the corner.
Unless, of course, this is correct. But it ALWAYS feels that way with this company… Market disruption sometimes cuts both ways. I won’t play the hold/cancel/FOMO games though.

Reactions: dsm363 and teko
6.5% for EVs for 65 mo:

That was where I got my 1.24% loan.
6.75% via Tesla via Chase for 780+ credit. 60 or 72mo.

In vehicles past the Tesla loan guy would route through a few well known banks versus just one.

Still expensive money imho.

I cannot see the demographic that wants a faster 3 going for the "boat" they call a Model S. Sure there will be some cannibalization, but I definitely think there is a market for Model 3 owners who want a faster 3 without the extra bells and whistles of the S.

They could make it a 1000HP and I would not take the 3 over the S. I think they are two very different demographic targets.

I'd jump to the 3 if it had the same performance as the Plaid.

I loved driving the 3P as a loaner car and would consider one for my wife if she ever gives up her Wrangler. But, personally, I would never drive the 3 as a daily driver. Too small, do not like the ride, and the biggest complaint is the lack of driver's display. Absolute great car just not close to same class as the S.

Reactions: cwanja
I loved driving the 3P as a loaner car and would consider one for my wife if she ever gives up her Wrangler. But, personally, I would never drive the 3 as a daily driver. Too small, do not like the ride, and the biggest complaint is the lack of driver's display. Absolute great car just not close to same class as the S.
I owned one for three years, and a P90DL for two years, and a Plaid S for two years. The ride is harsh, but handles well. Size was fine, though the rear hatch on the S makes it better for hauling large things. I don't mind at all not having a drivers display.

I hate how the S scrapes everywhere because the front hood is huge. The nose on the 3 is shorter, so it has better approach angles and much better visibility. I was back in one recently and that windshield is Glorius.

I owned one for three years, and a P90DL for two years, and a Plaid S for two years. The ride is harsh, but handles well. Size was fine, though the rear hatch on the S makes it better for hauling large things. I don't mind at all not having a drivers display.

I hate how the S scrapes everywhere because the front hood is huge. The nose on the 3 is shorter, so it has better approach angles and much better visibility. I was back in one recently and that windshield is Glorius.

The one thing I've really noticed recently, and only recently - bizarrely (despite 2.5 years of S ownership), is that you sit waaaay higher in the S than in the 3. Or maybe it's just the windshield location on the S, but as a tall human (~6'6") I wish I sat lower in the S, like you do in the 3. The 3's seating position is leaaaaagues better than the S. That's part of why the S feels like such a boat, - you sit so much higher in relation to the windshield. This means, for me at least, the sun vizors are kind of in the way and I find myself scooting down in the seat as much as possible to recreate the Model 3 feel.

The one thing I've really noticed recently, and only recently - bizarrely (despite 2.5 years of S ownership), is that you sit waaaay higher in the S than in the 3. Or maybe it's just the windshield location on the S, but as a tall human (~6'6") I wish I sat lower in the S, like you do in the 3. The 3's seating position is leaaaaagues better than the S. That's part of why the S feels like such a boat, - you sit so much higher in relation to the windshield. This means, for me at least, the sun vizors are kind of in the way and I find myself scooting down in the seat as much as possible to recreate the Model 3 feel.
Interesting. I felt like you can adjust the seat position a lot in the S and get yourself quite low. I feel like the windshield is high in the S compared to the 3. But, I'm 5'9".

Interestingly... I'm driving a 2015 Prius now. I have the seat all the way back as far as it will go. How does anyone tall drive this car???

Interesting. I felt like you can adjust the seat position a lot in the S and get yourself quite low. I feel like the windshield is high in the S compared to the 3. But, I'm 5'9".

Interestingly... I'm driving a 2015 Prius now. I have the seat all the way back as far as it will go. How does anyone tall drive this car???

I cannot get even remotely as low in the S as in the 3. And I have the seat in the lowest position...

A 3 with more power and actually competent suspension would probably win me back from the S. I generally do prefer smaller cars. But the S is just a better enough car in other aspects for me to prefer the S currently.