Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla has some responsibility by not making things predictable. Any other make you know well in advance when the new model year is coming, whether that model year change has any notable feature changes, and whether there will be a price increase with the new model year. Often there’ll be incentives on end of model year cars to keep the inventory moving too.
That would work if Tesla had dealerships in the traditional sense when they can dump 1,000 vehicles somepalce and let them worry about selling them. Tesla doesn't really have inventory they build up (some cars that were canceled of course but it's usually build to order).

I'm sure it makes things easier for Tesla to simply roll out a feature when its ready insread of waiting.

Reactions: Yelobird
I think Tesla has some responsibility by not making things predictable. Any other make you know well in advance when the new model year is coming, whether that model year change has any notable feature changes, and whether there will be a price increase with the new model year. Often there’ll be incentives on end of model year cars to keep the inventory moving too.
Maybe so but I personally like that the buying decision is up to the buyer when they feel this is what I want vs “but the 2024 model will have a new cup holder”. With Tesla you can be certain the product will always and continuously evolve not just in December. Not everyones favorite business plan but it works.

Reactions: dsm363
They could make the deposit 1k or more, but, they will have significant increase in rejections too I think
Not sure why that would be? Most are willing to reject for any reason at this point (finger prints on glass) as they know worst case they are out $250. Big deal. Watching the forum over the years I have seen many rejecting for Assumed tax incentives, features, model year, you name it all because it was in their benefit to gamble the 250 on a later date. Remove that low value gamble and I bet they would have more time available delivering cars to buyers that Want what the custom ordered.

Reactions: Gpa9504
Scheduled delivery for 12/2 today! Couple of interesting tidbits:

1. Tesla is now able to directly collect sales tax and registration fees in Texas. SA says this change occurred about a week ago.

2. Although I live within 15 miles of a couple delivery centers, the app only offered home delivery. Are there any cons to home delivery?

Thank you all for the useful info over the last few weeks. I’m hoping for a smooth delivery experience. 🤞🏻

Great news about sales tax and registration in Texas

That is my thought as well. NOT trying to back Tesla but many of these issues were created by maybe buyers gaming the system. And in doing so Many of the valuable buyer flexibility was taken away due to abuse of the system. I remember a few years ago you could return the car if you weren’t satisfied now you get 100 miles and a shot gun delivery. They Should make it a 1k Plus deposit. They would drastically reduce the irrational buyers play with more skin in the game to loose and certainly iron out delivery estimates for all buyers.
Ideally they'd deliver cars in good condition so we don't have to reject deliveries. My last two were terrible. I have no idea why I accepted delivery on them. I think I'm an idiot. This time I won't hesitate to reject a crappy car. I hope. 🤷

Ideally they'd deliver cars in good condition so we don't have to reject deliveries. My last two were terrible. I have no idea why I accepted delivery on them. I think I'm an idiot. This time I won't hesitate to reject a crappy car. I hope. 🤷
I was the same way when I picked up my Plaid since it was my first Tesla and I already sold my other car so I needed a car. I found some issues at pick up that I thought I could live with but I found more issues after I got home and new issues keep popping up.

Now that I know better I won’t make the same mistake twice. I know people here say we over exaggerate issues but I’ve bought many cars and have been a member of many forums and have never seen the issues I have seen here.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I was the same way when I picked up my Plaid since it was my first Tesla and I already sold my other car so I needed a car. I found some issues at pick up that I thought I could live with but I found more issues after I got home and new issues keep popping up.

Now that I know better I won’t make the same mistake twice. I know people here say we over exaggerate issues but I’ve bought many cars and have been a member of many forums and have never seen the issues I have seen here.
What sort of issues have you had and what would you recommend looking for at delivery time?

What sort of issues have you had and what would you recommend looking for at delivery time?
The only thing you could find at pickup are cosmetic but I feel like it was a sign that I should have rejected it. My passenger door was scraped to the metal a good bit down the side of the door so I had them touch it up as well as some weird chips in the paint in a couple areas. What I didn’t notice until I got home was that my interior door panel was off a quarter inch from where it meets the front dashboard and it didn’t seem to be hooked in correctly because it was a little loose. I had to wait months to get it fully replaced/fixed and the tech said they installed a broken door panel during manufacturing which is ridiculous.

The things that have happened over the two years I have owned it weren’t cosmetic. I’ve had the super manifold replaced for my a/c, rear door hinge replaced, another door panel replacement, side camera replaced, memory seats wouldn’t work, trunk latch replaced, and the best one is where my front bumper was warped and what was found causing the warping was an extra damaged metal brace that was left in there during manufacturing floating around that got lodged in there causing the warping.

When I say I know better now, what I mean is that I would look it over more closely.

The only thing you could find at pickup are cosmetic but I feel like it was a sign that I should have rejected it. My passenger door was scraped to the metal a good bit down the side of the door so I had them touch it up as well as some weird chips in the paint in a couple areas. What I didn’t notice until I got home was that my interior door panel was off a quarter inch from where it meets the front dashboard and it didn’t seem to be hooked in correctly because it was a little loose. I had to wait months to get it fully replaced/fixed and the tech said they installed a broken door panel during manufacturing which is ridiculous.

The things that have happened over the two years I have owned it weren’t cosmetic. I’ve had the super manifold replaced for my a/c, rear door hinge replaced, another door panel replacement, side camera replaced, memory seats wouldn’t work, trunk latch replaced, and the best one is where my front bumper was warped and what was found causing the warping was an extra damaged metal brace that was left in there during manufacturing floating around that got lodged in there causing the warping.

When I say I know better now, what I mean is that I would look it over more closely.
Man, I’m sorry to hear about that list of issues. That’s no fun. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Gpa9504
Picked up my S at Seattle this morning: no issues at all. Trade-in of my 3 was without incident (they didn't even look at it) and new S looks great. Dropped right away for PPF and ceramic.

Took delivery of my MSLR Stealth/White today at Seattle -- it couldn't have been much smoother. Trade-in of my 3 was totally painless (they didn't even look at it) and my new S arrived with 7 miles on the odometer. Team on the ground was very helpful -- even helped me look for any problems. Happily, found nothing wrong. Staff told me they inspect off the truck 2x before delivery, and that the S's have been very tight of late. Anyhow, a very happy experience and now I'm car-less while the S gets some PPF and ceramic. Thanks to all for the good advice here.
Amazing! I ordered the exact same car colour configuration on Nov 6! Still no VIN.

any chance you can post more pictures? Haven't seen many pics of Stealth Grey yet since they only started production recently.

I would think home delivery is the best of the best. Surely, you only take delivery once you sign the paperwork. You basically hold the delivery driver hostage lol. Maybe I'm wrong.

You can't open the car without accepting it. The trend on this thread seems as of late indicates delivery quality is better that last year.

I would still insist on delivery at store. If they push back tell them you are an unhoused person.😁

• Funny
Reactions: teko