Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh absolutely. The MS has had a 350 mile range for years, and this ultra efficient brand new MB with a 7.8 kWh more battery capacity and its 0.20 Cd is the same. That kinda stinks. A massive difference from the 478 mile WLTP range.
It's not the biggest deal, as 350 is the best we've seen so far from a non Tesla or Lucid EV, but still.

Something auto makers never tell you, but obvious on aircraft.

Low Cd does not always mean lower drag.

Airbus A380 has more drag standing still in light breeze than an Aeronca in a death dive.

D=Cd * 1/2 rho * V^2 * S

S is the reference area. Projected wing planform area for aircraft, frontal area for cars...not sure if all car makers agree on the latter.

Something auto makers never tell you, but obvious on aircraft.

Low Cd does not always mean lower drag.

Airbus A380 has more drag standing still in light breeze than an Aeronca in a death dive.

D=Cd * 1/2 rho * V^2 * S

S is the reference area. Projected wing planform area for aircraft, frontal area for cars...not sure if all car makers agree on the latter.
Exactly correct. Cd is only one part of the story. Frontal area is another factor. I would think though that the EQS is quite good on that front, since it has that very sculpted shape to it.

Reactions: Phlier and impastu
Most customers are oblivious to things this crowd cares about. I just spent 20 minutes demoing my MS to a coworker's wife, who is getting a MY. She had never even been in a Tesla before. Her biggest concern; can she keep the car cool with her grandchildren in it if it is parked.

Most people buying an EV MB won't be doing it for the superior range or acceleration. They will be doing it for MB luxury without gas. I think MB is banking on this. We'll see if that pans out.

Most people with 100k to spend would likely consider a LR is 10% less cost, with greater performance and range and the SuC network.

Not anti MB. If they matched the LR on Price and range, given that they have superior paint, fit, interior and service, I'd be interested. Disappointing that seems not to be the case, as MS still has little competition and Tesla has less incentive to up their game on sales and service.
Exactly correct. Cd is only one part of the story. Frontal area is another factor. I would think though that the EQS is quite good on that front, since it has that very sculpted shape to it.

It appears either the drivetrain is less efficient, or the reference area is greater, or both. Assuming the pack is similar in capacity to the refresh S.

They are using prismatic cells. A bit of a risk factor IMO.

I drove something other than my Tesla for the first time in a month. I borrowed my wife's Highlander while my MS sat for a mobile appointment at home.

I approached the end of our street and panicked for a moment when the car didn't slow down when I let off the gas. I hit the brake a little harder than necessary. The stalk blinkers were surprisingly awkward. At work, I had to consciously remember to turn her vehicle off. When I came out for lunch, I found I had left the parking brake off, the key FOB was still in the center console, and the doors were unlocked.

It's official. I've been converted to a Tesla driver.

Most people with 100k to spend would likely consider a LR is 10% less cost, with greater performance and range and the SuC network.
That really depends on what $100K means to you. People waste money carelessly at all income levels. Have you seen that video of the couple who bought a Plaid, and had no idea what that meant? They just ordered the most expensive option.

I think brand loyal customers are prone to sacrifice anything if they can convince themselves the brand they are loyal to is always the best option.

I drove something other than my Tesla for the first time in a month. I borrowed my wife's Highlander while my MS sat for a mobile appointment at home.

I approached the end of our street and panicked for a moment when the car didn't slow down when I let off the gas. I hit the brake a little harder than necessary. The stalk blinkers were surprisingly awkward. At work, I had to consciously remember to turn her vehicle off. When I came out for lunch, I found I had left the parking brake off, the key FOB was still in the center console, and the doors were unlocked.

It's official. I've been converted to a Tesla driver.
That really depends on what $100K means to you. People waste money carelessly at all income levels. Have you seen that video of the couple who bought a Plaid, and had no idea what that meant? They just ordered the most expensive option.

I think brand loyal customers are prone to sacrifice anything if they can convince themselves the brand they are loyal to is always the best option.

Agreed. Look at the Taycan. Sells well despite the price point.

From the MB forums, a lot of hate about the EQS front end appearance.

Does not have the S class look, no matter how many stars they out in the front

😁

Not anti MB. If they matched the LR on Price and range, given that they have superior paint, fit, interior and service, I'd be interested. Disappointing that seems not to be the case, as MS still has little competition and Tesla has less incentive to up their game on sales and service.

It appears either the drivetrain is less efficient, or the reference area is greater, or both. Assuming the pack is similar in capacity to the refresh S.

They are using prismatic cells. A bit of a risk factor IMO.
Yeah I'm about to head over to fueleconomy.gov to go check out efficiency and range. The pack is around 113 kWh installed, and 107.8 kWh net usable, so that is around 3.25 miles/kWh, which is not great.
Yeah prismatic cells aren't as scary as pouch cells due to their hard casing, but they can still have issues.🙂

Edit: The EQS isn't yet on fueleconomy.gov just yet. They will probably have them soon.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm about to head over to fueleconomy.gov to go check out efficiency and range. The pack is around 113 kWh installed, and 107.8 kWh net usable, so that is around 3.25 miles/kWh, which is not great.
Yeah prismatic cells aren't as scary as pouch cells due to their hard casing, but they can still have issues.🙂

Edit: The EQS isn't yet on fueleconomy.gov just yet. They will probably have them soon.

I got a quote and a live person in like 4 min from MB.

Local dealership should have a floor model in month or two.

No disrespect meant or intended. Please read it as questioning unintended consequences.

You have obviously spent some time considering how to raise quality people if your children even consider apologizing for something let alone being too eager to do so.

Bill
Elon knows if you got the cash to buy a Plaid, you have enough wood already.
The “wood” being synthetic or imaginary, of course.

EFEF77AC-2249-45EE-B0B5-C1B03B9061C8.jpeg
Cross posted - discuss here if this has happened to you: