Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is so ripe:

There are no facts — only interpretations.

The lie is a condition of life.

Tesla often aims high, attempting the impossible, and often misses their self-imposed impossible target that they aimed for, but still achieves greatness (except the damn yoke).

no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible.
I love the yoke. I like the little lip at the top edge that I can use to spin it with my thumb or fingers in a tight turn. I love the visibility of the display. It has been a life long irritant of mine, having to position the wheel not for ideal driving, but instead for ideal viewing through it to the dash.

The only thing I miss is resting my arm on top of a wheel, but now I rest my arm in my lap, holding the bottom of the yoke.

My opinion would probably be different if I was still in my 20's, pushing through hair pin turns on a country road. My driving options and habits here provide no yoke grief for me.

I’m just over it. I went from being a Tesla fan to a Tesla hater by trying to buy their damn product. Best way to some someone hate Tesla? Tell them to order a Tesla and the company will do the work.

Its not the delays. It’s the lies. I’m just one guy, and no one gives a *sugar* or will notice but I no longer feel good endorsing this behavior.

I can’t wait for this scam of a company to get some competition from a company who lifts a finger even slightly to care for their customers. My SC hasn’t even responded to my texts now in ages.

I’ve had enough. They did this to me. They had so many chances to be truthful and they continue to lie as a tenet of corporate culture. This indicates to me that lies are how they do business. That doesn’t bode well for features like FSD, or any future product promises. Don’t support liars.
If you’re reading this you’re still here. Why? TSLAQ? You’re proselytizing to the wrong audience.
Again, this is NOT about the delay. It's about lies.

Are you telling me "10 - 14 weeks" was an actual, best estimate, based on some internal production velocity metrics and burndown chart? What about June? July? August? Sept 1-15? Sep 15-30? Sep 20-Oct 10? on and on and on. You believe these were actual calculations and the intent was a sincere desire to convey to us to the truth about when my product would be delivered?

If you believe this is true, I have some beach front property to sell you in Florida.

I have been a huge Tesla fan, and by them continuing to lie to me, they have changed my opinion. This is not how I wanted this to go.

I run a large, global organization within one of the largest and most profitable/valuable companies on the planet. I understand a little about supply chains, estimates, shifting dates, roadmaps, and such. There is NO excuse for communicating dates over and over which you know are false. I could never do this to my customers.

Let's be real here folks, the truth would have been something like this: in Q1 2021 if you ordered a model S LR, it should have said "Estimated delivery: 6 - 12 months". If they had opted for "6 months" to be optimistic, and then shifted this by a quarter when that clearly was not happening, i'd be more understanding. But to feed me *sugar* dates like this, in a steady stream, for months on end, is unacceptable. You know this is true.
You sound like an impressive guy with the resources to take your money to any other OEM so not sure why you're still here...reading these replies.
So....

I guess Tesla should do what others have done. Cap their reservations to like 2,000. Then so many people couldn’t put in a reservation only to be upset that it is taking so long. And then after that initial 2k, just build cars and then list them for sale for anyone to purchase. People could then pick one up without the reservation wait. The downside of this is if you are not quick to find one, it’s gone and the chance of you getting the car you want is even less.

I like the little lip at the top edge that I can use to spin it with my thumb or fingers in a tight turn.

If you use your index finger or thumb at the top inner edge, you can easily spin the yoke 180 degrees.

Capture.JPG

So uh, I should treat Tesla like my local kid who mows lawns? C'mon!
At this point in time, honestly.... yes.

In order for Tesla to survive long term, they WILL have to get their customer service issues fixed. It's still a few years away, but when the legacy makes bring to market their true mass market EV's, the competition will be stiff, and Tesla will NOT be able to get away with this (poor) level of customer service.

So your options...

1. Buy now
  • The purchasing experience will be horrible
  • You'll have years of owning an amazing car
2. Wait until their CS improves
  • The purchasing experience will be great
  • You'll have years of owning an amazing car
3. Wait for a different brand
  • Your purchasing experience is unknown
  • Time will tell how good the vehicle is
For me at least, having the car while I'm still young enough to actually enjoy it is far more important than the purchasing experience.

Everyone has their own priorities, and if having a good buying experience is that important to you, then wait it out.

But the fact remains that right now Tesla's customer service is horrible. No amount of anger, teeth gnashing, etc. is going to change that. It'll improve on the day it improves, and we are powerless to change it, regardless of how angry we get. If the product isn't worth going through the process for you, then either wait until it improves, or find a different car company that'll give you the level of CS you're looking for.

I tried uploading the video a few times but I can't seem to get this forum to accept it. It was a Range Rover that backed into me. He was only about 3 feet away when he started backing up, but his bumper sits much higher than mine, so he caught my trunk lid as well. I have a lot of worries right now about this guy making good on paying for it. I have a few windows of availability to keep an eye on right now with regards to reporting the accident and/or making an insurance claim. Hopefully this al resolves within the next two weeks.

Here's two screen shots from my phone, showing the distance he started from, and then the impact.
View attachment 716651
View attachment 716653

I didn't notice it at first, but he caught the lip of the trunk lid and bent it.
What a dope (edit: the Range Rover guy).

Re video, @AnselmDante you have to upload to YouTube then share the link. May be too cringe-worthy for this crowd.

Last edited:
Again, this is NOT about the delay. It's about lies.

Are you telling me "10 - 14 weeks" was an actual, best estimate, based on some internal production velocity metrics and burndown chart? What about June? July? August? Sept 1-15? Sep 15-30? Sep 20-Oct 10? on and on and on. You believe these were actual calculations and the intent was a sincere desire to convey to us to the truth about when my product would be delivered?

If you believe this is true, I have some beach front property to sell you in Florida.

I have been a huge Tesla fan, and by them continuing to lie to me, they have changed my opinion. This is not how I wanted this to go.

I run a large, global organization within one of the largest and most profitable/valuable companies on the planet. I understand a little about supply chains, estimates, shifting dates, roadmaps, and such. There is NO excuse for communicating dates over and over which you know are false. I could never do this to my customers.

Let's be real here folks, the truth would have been something like this: in Q1 2021 if you ordered a model S LR, it should have said "Estimated delivery: 6 - 12 months". If they had opted for "6 months" to be optimistic, and then shifted this by a quarter when that clearly was not happening, i'd be more understanding. But to feed me *sugar* dates like this, in a steady stream, for months on end, is unacceptable. You know this is true.

I would wait for a while, and buy used. Look for a nice P100D.

Man, i feel like when this forum discusses delays, we are in a codependency support group for families of abusive alcoholics.

Every time they feed us fake dates (beat us up), we make excuses in here.

"global chip shortage" = He had a bad day at work
"best available estimates" = He's trying to get better
"Tesla isn't perfect" = he's not perfect but he isn't a bad guy
"stop bitching" = it's your fault he abuses you

It helps neither you nor me to sit here and pretend this company isn't dysfunctional and built upon a culture of lies. I don't feel good supporting it. I don't blame anyone for sticking around and wanting the product, but I don't have any time for people trying to defend this crap as if it's okay.

They could have given us dates that were in the same universe as reality. They choose to keep on lying.

PS: Damn, your car is already broken? Truly sorry brother. Look, I don't want to attack you, you're being treated like *sugar* just like I am. I'm just pissed off at this stupid company and I don't think it helps to defend the indefensible.
You are absolutely right about Tesla needing competition to force them to become better and more realistic communicators. As I age, I have softened on my approach. Trust me, if this experience had happened twenty years ago, there would be flames everywhere. I guess I understand the reality of the situation we're in. I'm not saying you're wrong to feel the way you do, in fact you are well within your rights. All auto manufacturers are suffering with delays and bad information regarding deliveries. It's not unique to Tesla, so I chalk it up as par for the course right now.

I've been in a white on cream Plaid, and it's really nice even without the CF. Doesn't look strange at all. :)

Wife says the cream interior is an old man's color. Don't know why she would say that to me, plus I think it looks fine.

Nothing against white, I know they hold up well, just the tan looks more familiar. Like an 70's MB.